Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Considering a FASS Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a FASS Installation

I posted this in another forum and I'm repeating it here to get some good inputs:

I'm the new owner of an old (2001) 24v Diesel. It's my first. I've now learned about the problems with the weak stock lift pump. I'm consdering options like FASS. (I guess the Holley Blue is a cheaper alternative). Here's some questions I have:

1. It looks like the FASS bypasses or disables the stock fuel heater. Is this a problem? Now I wait for the "wait to start" light to go out. What do you do with a FASS installed? Is the heater just not really needed?

2. I've read the instructions that talk about the potential of a "hard start" problem because the existing VP44 may be old. Does this mean I might be spending $600+ to buy into a $1800 IP replacement? I really would like to keep the existing IP going for as long as I can.

3. The FASS seems powerful. What regulates the pressure? Or is this just not an issue?

4. I wonder if I can tackle the installation?? I've read the installation instructions. Might be able to do this. But, how much do you think a local mechanic might charge to put this in if I bought the kit?

5. Anyone have any problems with the FASS hanging down underneath the truck? No clearance issues?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search for a thread called What is so Great about FASS? posted/started by a member named Superduty. Lots of good reading there, along with good input from several sources regarding FASS, Walbro, Holley's of all colors, and the stock piece of junk. Most of your questions can be answered in the post, as well as a general search for Lift Pump.

Just a suggestion. I do not own a FASS, and could not answer your main questions with any personal insight.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 PM

1. I don't know about colder areas but I did not have any problems with cold starts down to upper teens here. Still have the wait to start light and then turn it over. Grid heaters cycle as normal.

2. If you already have an IP on the way out it won't matter what LP you put in it, you will still have to replace the IP at some point. If your IP is in good shape the FASS may help save it from the OEM LP problems.

3. No problems with too much pressure. I have 20 psi at idle and can not drop it below 17. I've read posts that have higher pressures with other systems. I have the 150 gph FASS

4. I've read that it is quite easy to install but had my mechanic install mine along with other work at the same time.

5. I don't remember what the charge was for the FASS installation. I just pay the bill and take the truck home. I had other work done at the same time but if I remember I was surprised that the total bill was not as high as I expected at the time.

This is from my limited mechanical knowledge and actual experience with the FASS. If I had to do it over I would still get the FASS. I have been very happy with it. My VP44 was already toast and I was experiencing the dreaded "dead pedal" when I had the FASS installed. No problems with starting but I still had the dead pedal untill I replaced the VP44. No fuel related problems since and I run the truck pretty hard.

Hope this helps you make the decision I was faced with. This board has some very knowledgable people that have been a great help to me even if they did not know it. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:19 AM

I had a FASS System installed, along with a new BOSCH VP44, and my truck runs like a scalded cat now. I also straight-piped it, and had a K&N Air system installed. But from everything I've read and heard, the FASS system is an excellent way to go. Another "safety" way to go is to use dual pumps in-line, I believe there are several guys here who went with Carter Pumps and "IN-LINED" them, that way if one pump dies, the other can drive on, and maintain pressure to that high dollar IP. But that again is something that you may need to research. I paid around $1900 for a new IP, FASS System, and the installation of both. Not cheap, but sure made the truck run better, and improved my fuel economy about 1.5mpg!!!