Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

confused about boost/fueling!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused about boost/fueling!!!

i posted this on another site and didnt get what i was looking for...so here goes

My current mods are as follows

AFE stage I intake
4" SS turbo back exhaust, no muffler
Banks big head on HX35
FASS + the BIG fuel line kit (like a garden hose)

Right now my truck is quick, i can pull and hold a steady 34psi on a 6th gear WOT run. And I have raced a few small cars and suprised them with how quick this truck is. Also my EGT's on a long hard pull like that will hit about 1200 and stop climbing

My dillemma is that I dont know what to do next, at one time my truck was chipped (injector pump wire was tapped) but it was removed before the trade in. I do not know whether I should be looking to do injectors ( 80-120hp), a chip/fueling box for more power, or upgrading my turbo to either a different wastegate, housing, hybrid, or new turbo swap all-together. I am on a budget and can not go and do these all at the same time, so I need to know what should be done first.

SO which is first...

-Turbo upgrade
-fueling module
-injectors

I do not care about how much it smokes either...the more smoke the better!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

If you put in injectors you will need at least a mild timing box to get full affect of injectors for example a edge ez. Also keep in mind too big of injectors you will need turbo upgrade. I would go with a timing box edge ez or comp box ez is one setting 65rwhp and edge comp is adjustable 40,60,80,100,120rwhp and utilizes your pump wire tap drag comp is also a option I have seen 140rwhp out of them. After that you can figure out how much more power you want. If you do want more power from injectors a turbo upgrade will be neccesary to control egt's if you want to use all that power safely
Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

I hear that the HO engines dont respond as well to the boxes like the SO engines do?

without upgrading the turbo yet, should i start by getting an edge EZ, or comp? than do tha injectors afterwards. im looking to make about 350 hp and 700-800 tq on the HX-35.

also at what HP will the stock clutch start slipping
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

I know this will get a things going..but 275s are a goog choice for a driver and a puller w.o. a lot of other things to jump at ya.-and you get good results!!Besides they are available 2nd hand and cheap cause we get the bug and want more, more more (pwr!) so they are available.
If your goung big time go out and get a big set with all the stuff that will turn them on.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

im young...im looking to be fast and also have the braggin rights to a nice hp/tq number...but im on a budget

i just dont know where to start, im thinking my best bet is gonna be to get a decent power module first, the tuner i spoke with recommended the Edge Comp above all because its a 5x5 setting box.

Im thinking my plan is gonna be

Edge Comp
turbo upgrade (HX-40, or a hx35/40 hybrid option)
100hp stage 3 injectors (donM, or DD)

throw in a south bend clutch when the money is available and the stocker lets go...this truck previously had a SUPER amount of work done to it. The pump wire was tapped, it had wastegate, exhaust, intake, FASS, big fuel line kit, FAST tranny coolers installed already. So maybe ill get lucky and find out that my clutch isnt stock either
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suggestion would be...
Clutch first...be patient...your truck will thank you for it.
Injectors - Mach 2's are now at least 100 hp
Fueling Box - TST PM3...because you have an HO
Turbo

In that order

RJ
Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 AM

WHy not use the stock clutch as long as possible and replace it when it's smoked???
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM

Cost (he said money was tight). Manual may be different than an auto. With an auto, it's a lot cheaper to upgrade a good condition tranny than a burnt up one.

RJ
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

I should mention i drive this truck hard...I mean hard...i shift it like im trying to rip the shifter off...not all the time, but there are many a nights i go out just to play with the ricers.

i had my clutch heat up on me once and slip...but i was trying liek hell to pull a bronco out of a mud hole from an odd angle and was slipping it alot to try and jerk the guy out. other than that ive never felt my clutch slip at all
Old 01-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by getblown5.9
I should mention i drive this truck hard...I mean hard...i shift it like im trying to rip the shifter off...not all the time, but there are many a nights i go out just to play with the ricers.

i had my clutch heat up on me once and slip...but i was trying liek hell to pull a bronco out of a mud hole from an odd angle and was slipping it alot to try and jerk the guy out. other than that ive never felt my clutch slip at all
Man I'm glad my truck (bought used) was not driven by you Don't get me wrong, I've destroyed a couple vehicles, but nothing that costs as much as our CTD's do.

btw RJ's plan sounds like a good one...