Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Concerns with Too much power...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerns with Too much power...

Hey I was thinking about putting a Edge Comp Box on my pickup and was worried that when I put it on, will I have to beef up the clutch or other things on the pickup? I am excited about the power that it presents but I dont want to spend more money on things that I wouldnt have to fix had I not put this mod on. Just curious what some of you have had to do once the mod was installed so that way I can gauge whether or not it will be financially worth it for me.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

yup a comp can take your clutch out. you can keep it on the lower settings till you replace the clutch but its guaranteed to smoke your clutch on 5x5
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

You will have to remember the stock clutch was only really designed to handle the stock hp and torque. If you add more power you will in time have to upgrade the clutch.

I am not trying to discourage you from installing the edge comp. Just trying to help you understand if other things need updating.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I think it would definantly be worth it. It's an excellent investment. Plus Edge has great customer service. I seriously doubt that your cluch will slip. As far as anything else the only other thing I would recomend is to have boost and EGT gauges. The Comp box was the first thing I ever had on my truck and has absolutley 0 problems. Make sure you tap the wire! Good luck! Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 PM

Some people fry stock clutches with stock power...others are making stock clutches live with an EZ and 150hp injectors!

It's all in how you drive...I have ~400hp, and have a double disc clutch. That should tell you how I drive

A Comp is NOT going to kill your clutch...you will If you lay the hammer down at 1500RPM on 5x5, it'll probably slip! If you wait 'till 22-2300RPM, it may hold! Who knows!

You gotta be able to pay to play...and it's hard to stop once you feel the power
Chris
Old 02-12-2006, 08:52 PM
The Guru

If your worried about smoking something just run without connecting the injection pump wire. I'm a auto guy but the only thing that killed my tranny was when I towed my heavy trailer thru the mountains trying to kill everyone on the climb. If your gonna run 5X5, your gonna have to get a fuel pressure gauge. Anything fuel pressure less than 8psi is a bad for the VP thingy. On the other side, its easier to convince the wifey you need to spend money on the truck once you break stuff. I'm a pro at that one.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you play, you'll pay.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:47 PM

What are some common clutches that you guys run after you fry the stocker, and what kind of price ranges are we talking here? Another thing, I found a WORKHORSE fueling box thing that claims to increase hp and torque. Anyone heard of these and if so, are they any good?

http://www.888luvdiesel.com/frontpage1.html
Old 02-12-2006, 09:51 PM

From what I have gathered when the WORKHORSE module has been looked into is that it sounds like a rebadged Dr. Performance box which some people have had issues with its claimed results and service matters. I would look elsewhere. just my opinion.

Edit: I would definately look elsewhere.

Edit: I would definately definately look elsewhere.

Edit: I would definately definately definately look elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:03 PM

fyi, I managed to fry a stock clutch with just an EZ....

SB Con OFE holds just fine with the EZ and DD3 injectors...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
fyi, I managed to fry a stock clutch with just an EZ....

SB Con OFE holds just fine with the EZ and DD3 injectors...

For some reason it seems like the stock 6 speed clutches don't hold as much as the 5 speeds. I was running a Van Aaken and DD3's for about 10k miles on my stock clutch with no problems, but like everyone says, it depends on how you drive.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:25 PM

My first mod was also a edge comp, and i really didnt hurt much all i did was fry the injection pump that just went out, that was my fault didnt have a fuel system, but as for the clutch i hooked up to the sled 3 times with the comp on 5by5 raced 2 fords and 1 dodge with the comp on 5by5 up to 90 mph, but on the 4th time hookin to the sled the clutch finnally burnt up, but it would still get me around to where i wanted to go for 6 months. But like everyone says once you get it pretty soon that extra 120hp just aint goin to cut it, you will want more!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, here are your additiona cost if you want to run a comp
-Guages ~350
-Lift pump upgrade 350+. Some run the scotty fuel lines or something to that nature and have good results and it will cost less than and LP upgrade.
-If you want to run it on 5x5 IMO a clutch wil be in the future. cost depends on who you go with.
Or you could do like some have suggested and buy the comp and dont tap the pump wire until you ready to upgrade some of the other stuff. Pump wire tapped or not you should still get guages, fuel pressure, boost, and pyro.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
IMO, here are your additiona cost if you want to run a comp
-Guages ~350
-Lift pump upgrade 350+. Some run the scotty fuel lines or something to that nature and have good results and it will cost less than and LP upgrade.
-If you want to run it on 5x5 IMO a clutch wil be in the future. cost depends on who you go with.
Or you could do like some have suggested and buy the comp and dont tap the pump wire until you ready to upgrade some of the other stuff. Pump wire tapped or not you should still get guages, fuel pressure, boost, and pyro.
95Ram is correct - I dont see any guages in your signature. You definitely cant run a comp without guages - so if you dont have any thats where you need to start. You cannt simply add a fueling box like a Comp without upgrading other parts - it doesnt work that way.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 98ISURAM
What are some common clutches that you guys run after you fry the stocker, and what kind of price ranges are we talking here? Another thing, I found a WORKHORSE fueling box thing that claims to increase hp and torque. Anyone heard of these and if so, are they any good?
South Bend Clutch is popular. The alternative is a cermametellic Luk clutch availible through dial-a-clutch. These range from roughly $600-1000. Then the DD clutches are 1500+ if you want to go crazy.

Definately get some guages before stressing the system with a box- fuel pressure and pyro as a minimum. Units such as the comp tap a wire on the VP44 which may lead to premature failure. Wire tap boxes will produce the most power. I recently aquired a Smarty programmer, and I highly recommend looking at these. Lots of Smarty threads to look at.

http://www.madselectronics.com/products.html

Quick Reply: Concerns with Too much power...