Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

computer chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
computer chips

I have a 02 Dodge Cummins 2500. I'm interested in knowing just how good are the performance chips you can buy to upgrade your HP,torque, and MPG. Do these things really work and if so do they void your warranty? I hear a lot of talk about them but don't know anyone personal that has installed one, can someone give me some input on what works and what doesn't?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, welcome to the board...

For your question(s).... the performance chips for a diesel do work. They give real power gains(unlike those programmers for gassers). There are basically two types. A box like an Edge EZ will give you 65 hp and 185 ft-lbs(numbers from Edge). A box like an Edge Comp will give you in-cab adjustable power anywhere from 40-120 hp and gobs of torque... there are plenty of other boxes that accomplish the same things. As for increasing MPG, that all lies in how much of a lead foot you are. When increasing the power, you may feel inclined to show it off a lot.

As for warranty, it depends on your dealer. I think most of them are gonna frown on opening the hood and seeing an EZ sitting on the fuse box or climbing in the cab and having a Edge Comp staring them in the face. The Magnusson-Moss act is supposed to protect the consumer and force the dealer denying warranty work to prove that the modification caused the warranty claim... I don't know anyone who has the resources to fight an automaker though. Anyhow.... if you're gonna mod your truck be prepared to be your own warranty station.

But before you start worrying about performance mods, get a set of gauges first... fuel pressure and EGT... trans temp if you have an auto... most folks also have a boost gauge.