Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Comparison: Comp vs. TST: both stacked with Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparison: Comp vs. TST: both stacked with Smarty?

Has anyone compared the stacking of the 2 combo's. I have a Comp now and added the Smarty. Seems like if I used the timing settings on the Smarty and had a TST, this could offer a better combo although I'm not sure. The Smarty on 8 and the Comp on 5x5 is a pretty formidable combination, just didn't know if anyone had done a comparison.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Matt
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM

I have run the Edge Drag Comp, TST PMax 3 Comp, and Blue Chip FMS (Bully Dog rebadged) with the Smarty.

The Edge Comp with Smarty even # softwares is good. For all around driving, smoothness, and ease of adjustability in the cab.

The Blue Chip FMS is (IMHO) better - but uglier in appearance. You have the same in cab adjustability with more options, plus the drag race mode. The FMS is stronger than the Edge Box, and just as smooth. The FMS does not do any timing, so you can take advantage of the dynamic timing in Smarty for better performance and economy while empty, towing and playing.

For all out competition, the TST PMax 3 Comp is the best. It is by far the stronges, and fuels another 200rpm. It looks nicer in the cab than the FMS, and it does not do any timing, so again you can take advantage of Smarty's dynamic timing. HOWEVER; it is very harsh on the upper levels (6 through 9). Defuel shudder's the whole pickup - hard. Some people have lost fuel prime and had to crack injectors to get the rig started when letting up on the pedal too fast. There are several who have the PMax 2 and say it doesn't defuel and shudder near as hard.

For my money, I'm sticking with the FMS. IMHO, it's the strongest combination with Smarty, takes full advantage of the all the advances in Smarty, and it provides economy and performance without sacrificing driveability on the road.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:05 AM

And the Redline? I hear it takes over control from the ecm in order to hit 4k, so it may not be the best compliment to smarty, but bad *** none the less.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks OlBlue. I was just curious. It seems like the Smarty/TST would be the best bet because of being able to use the various timing settings on the Smarty. I've heard good things about the Blue Chip redline, but I've seen one and they are big. I like the small remote on the TST. I already had the Edge Comp, so that is the reason for my current combo. Just wanted to gather compative data to see if it was worth it.

I appreciate it, Matt
Old 03-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the Smarty, I don't think the competition version of the TST is needed.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM

I don't know anything about the redline box other than talking to TST who said it's not very streetable.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
With the Smarty, I don't think the competition version of the TST is needed.
You're probably right. At first I wanted the extra 200rpm, but the extra harshness makes the upper levels only usable when playing off the street.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was talking to one guy that said his redline box wiped out 2 HRVP's within 2 weeks

now thats an expensive lesson
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
I was talking to one guy that said his redline box wiped out 2 HRVP's within 2 weeks

That's funny! Chip claims he will warrant his VP's even with the presence of a tapped wire. You would think the fella would have at least taken a stab at one of Chip's VP's after he wiped out the first HRVP.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM

Maybe I'll rephrase for different responses.

Does anyone think the Edge Comp stacked with the Smarty is a better choice than the TST pm3 stacked with the Smarty? In other words, what is you opinion on which is the best combo?

Thanks in advance, Matt
Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
based on what?
max power? tst has proven better power with Catcher (Smarty #9)
drivability? can't comment on comparison, but my Comp is plenty smooth
cost effective? you have the Comp, is a few hp worth the $ difference?

Driving your truck with both boxes may be the only way to find out! Anyone in your area with a TST box? Swap boxes for a day or week...

To answer the question, I'd say the Comp is the better combo because you already have it and you won't gain a ton of power by switching!
JUST MY $0.02 !!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Beast2B
based on what?
max power? tst has proven better power with Catcher (Smarty #9)
drivability? can't comment on comparison, but my Comp is plenty smooth
cost effective? you have the Comp, is a few hp worth the $ difference?

Driving your truck with both boxes may be the only way to find out! Anyone in your area with a TST box? Swap boxes for a day or week...

To answer the question, I'd say the Comp is the better combo because you already have it and you won't gain a ton of power by switching!
JUST MY $0.02 !!
Exactly many of the things I've been considing. (I own the comp already) I guess based on everything. I'd think with acceleration as the baseline, the TST/smarty would rule because of smarty low end punch. Really driveability is the key, seat of the pants feel. I still think the TST-smarty would be better. I guess I'm looking for someone to say, "no way, the Comp and Smarty are way better. I raced a friend with the opposite and I smoked him. " Anyway, I guess I do like the comp/smarty combo just fine, just seeing what other opinions are out there.

By the way, I have a buddy with a TST on the way, so I just may get a chance to test it.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Dang talk about wanting to put a bullet in your nugget.............man I'd be freakin MAD!!!!! I think that redline box would become my next choice for some target practice

~Nick
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM

"I was talking to one guy that said his redline box wiped out 2 HRVP's within 2 weeks"

Does anyone know if the redline boxes are tougher on the HRVPs than say the TSTs or Edge comps?

What does the redline box do differently?

That sounds like a very expensive lesson!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Dang!!! Is this a common thing with this box, or just a one guy kind of thing? Dosen't say much for the product that is for sure, (the Box, or the HRVP)! That is sad and it would make me want to if this happend to me.

Quick Reply: Comparison: Comp vs. TST: both stacked with Smarty?