Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Compact Powered Subwoofer - Any Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Compact Powered Subwoofer - Any Recommendations??

My dad had a Bazooka tube in his ol' 4-Runner. Sounded great.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I will throw in my 2c.....

I replaced the stock head unit because it didn't fit the FM frequencies for Europe and lacked some functions like RDS and travel info.
I was quite dissatisfied with the low frequencies before and thought about adding a sub when changing the unit, but tried it without.
With a little bit of tuning I now have all the oomph I want. (With the stock speakers from the standard package)

AlpineRAM
Old 07-01-2003, 08:07 AM

Can anyone else throw me a bone here?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:30 AM

What about like a JL 8" sub or something tucked somewhere?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 AM

Jamie Is pointing you in the right direction with the JL 8&quot; even if it needs a small amp and even if you spend a little more than the 200.00. You will be so much closer to getting your monies worth than anything else you spend your money on.<br>The JL Subs are clear, crisp, and hit hard. I don't want to beat an old dog here but those all in one subs like the bazooka sound horrible compared to a nice sub especially a JL.<br><br>My reccomendation is go with a set of JL 10's with a Mono amp. they make a nice box that will fit under your seat with the subs facing down.(your kids can't hurt them either) When, not if, you decide to upgrade the rest of your system you won't be needing to upgrade that part of it.<br><br>The stereo is like the &quot;bombing&quot; you just can't go half way! <br><br>I realize you said I don't want to do anything else to my stereo but... The factory stereo in these trucks especially the factory speakers are dreadful. Especially when you do hear quality next to them. Country, Rock, Rap, Jazz, WHATEVER can and does sound so much better through better systems.<br><br>BAZOOKA???? You like THUD? thats what it sounds like to me!<br><br>If it is 200.00 to be spent then go with used stuff that is quality not new stuff thats SUB-standard. Thats the bone I would throw. There is alot of quality used stuff out there to be had.<br><br>Seriously I am not trying to be sarcastic at all so please don't take it that way. <br>I have a non powered Bazooka you can have for free if you pay the freight. For you see, I went the route you might possibly be taking...<br><br>James
Old 07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

Audiobahn has some nice subs. My 2 12's hit quite nicely. ;D My mom has an 8&quot; sub in her Burban. Granted, that's a lot of space, but it doesn't sound that good. My friend had 2 10's under his back seat in his Dodge and those hit good. I've got a single Pioneer IMP 450-500w 10&quot; sub for sale for $20. Only been used once.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:55 PM

Thumped once and said &quot;nope I want more&quot;????? <br><br>Seems like a heck of a deal for ya Bull Dog!!!!<br><br>Goes to what I am saying... Go used over Retail SUB-standard to get quality if 200.00 is it.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned

Actually. It was in a Mustang with a big box. It hit just as hard as my old 12's did (MTX 4000's. 2 of them). It was powered by a 450w 2 ch Kenwood. Let me know if you want it. Jamie, your money is in the mail. It's hard to find a place that does MO in canadian.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:59 PM

I've got to stir this post up a bit. Here goes ...<br><br>You know back 25 years ago when I was last looking at after market car audio upgrades you were really ahead of the game with a set of 6x9 Jensens pushing 30 wats per channel.<br><br>Today it seems that the industry has brain washed car audio consumers into &quot;the bigger, the better mentality , spending mega dollars for 500 to 1000 watt amplifiers and huge &quot;over-the-top&quot; speaker set ups.<br><br>I am not at all impressed, nor do I buy into the industry's hype as so many folks are doing. I find it somewhat amusing that the industry has found a way to pry big, big green from the pockets of largely our younger set. Hey, if that's the way you want to spend your money.<br><br>You know I've always found the best consumer advice is to steer clear from cheap stuff and the same for the overly expensive. Try to hit the middle for a good balance of form and function. It's always the best bang for the buck.<br><br>Okay, anyone have anything good to say about the Kenwood WooX, the Clarion or the Boozoka? <br><br>
Old 07-02-2003, 08:56 AM

I would also suggest you look into the Infinity Basslink. I am very pleased with our. Might be a little hard to fit under the seat though.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:09 PM

[quote author=Bull Dog link=board=7;threadid=16370;start=15#155639 date=1057114740]<br>I've got to stir this post up a bit. Here goes ...<br><br><br><br>Today it seems that the industry has brain washed car audio consumers into &quot;the bigger, the better mentality , spending mega dollars for 500 to 1000 watt amplifiers and huge &quot;over-the-top&quot; speaker set ups.<br><br>I am not at all impressed, nor do I buy into the industry's hype as so many folks are doing. I find it somewhat amusing that the industry has found a way to pry big, big green from the pockets of largely our younger set. Hey, if that's the way you want to spend your money.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br>I have been ASSYMALATED it was FUTILE to RESIST!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:11 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 07-02-2003, 12:16 PM

OH YA blue I totally forgot about that LOL. I hope that Bull Dog you don't believe that statement about the money. I guarantee you that today by all means you defiantely get what you pay for. That said in my opinion JL subs are the best bang for the buck out there you don't empty your wallet on em and they sound amazing for the price. Usually what was good in the past isn't now so do some research there are many here who will point you in the right direction so listen up around here. My opinion is if you want bass you get (2) 10's for your truck you want lots of bass get (2) 12's you just want to fill the cab and not get a massage then get (1) 10&quot; sub or (1) 8&quot; sub with a small amp. True you do not need 500 or 1000 wats to power the subs with a good quality amp 400 wats is more then enough. To give you an idea a good amp like my ZAPCO 800 watt amp will drive my (2) 12W3's no problem at half power. Its a high quality good amp now a cheaper 1000 watt amp wouldn't power em that good fully cranked so you defiately get the value for the dollar.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Banned

If you want A LOT OF BASS, put 2 1000w 15's in there. I know a guy who did that in his Dodge. Took up the whole back seat. Talk about loud.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:40 PM

Here's an update for anyone wanting to add a subwoofer without having to give up any usable floor space in their quad cab Ram. Also, the unit is completely hidden.<br><br>I installed the Kenwood WooX self-powered subwoofer under the front middle seat cushion. Dead center in the truck. Sounds great ... just four bolts, popped it underneath, shimmed between the seat bracket and the seat with 5 flat washers on each bolt for clearance. Tapped into the rear speakers behind the rear cab panels prior to the wires going out to the rear doors.<br><br>Relatively easy install for a first time install. It will produce more deep base than I will ever require out of it. I'm very pleased with the results.