Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

comp a vp killer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comp a vp killer?

well i have decided to do a few more mods here to the truck lately. invested in some new tires, camper shell, and 5" exhaust. i am going to get some rv275's and ditch the carter pumps and go with the walboro kit soon. then do some tranny work. i am thinking of selling my ez and going with a slightly used comp. i was going to run it in ez mode until my tranny is done and also until i get a new turbo. i do tow and my thinking is this:
i can run it in ez mode with the rv275's with stock turbo. but when i get a new turbo (thinking ksb-1) i can tow on some higher settings and play around on 5x5. i like the idea of adjustable power. i don't want very large sticks because i can't turn them down if i need to when i tow. and this setup will also be stackable with smarty which i have on my mods list. so...
how many people that run the comp have killed a vp and believed it to be because of the comp? my vp is almost a year old, so in my mind is pretty new. i've heard a comp kills a weak vp with a few miles after the wire is tapped. i believe my vp is strong. before it was changed it idled rough and would almost stall when putting it in drive. now it is smooth as glass. so should i invest in a used comp like some of the ones for sale in the forums here? i know some people will say go right for the smarty but thats double the price of this particular used comp.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM

You can tow with bigger sticks and the 275's... No problems towing with my Old DDIII's and stock turbo... Just tow with the comp off... or on level one.. depending one the outside temps.. and load... I'd go bigger with the injectors...
Comp a killer... well its killed a few.. so will any other box that tapps the wire... I've had mine tapped for 140K... (173K on the truck.. and stock VP)
Old 05-17-2006, 06:12 PM

I've had mine on for about 20k miles. Still on the original vp, and the 98.5 vp's are supposed to be the weakest of the bunch. I have been running a holley blue pusher pump since I installed the comp. I have about 23psi fuel pressure at idle and 19psi at WOT. Maybe higher fuel pressure is the key to keeping the vp44 alive