Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Comp or TST3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comp or TST3

For a high output 01 should i buy a edge comp or Powermax tst3,what gains can you expect at the rear wheels.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on how they are measured. On an inertial dyno, the Edge tends to show a little more hp.

On a load dyno, the TST shines.

I would personally go with the TST w/remote (9 level adjustable)

Justin
Old 01-20-2004, 05:44 PM

On a load dyno any ideas everyone say High Outputs make smaller gains on fueling boxes.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

What's the big deal about the TST remote? What's so special about it? How much extra does it cost?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM

without remote the PM3 is a fixed hp, in order to have adjustability of 15hp increments 1-9 you have to have the remote. it's $100 without gauges.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by BigBlue
What's the big deal about the TST remote? What's so special about it? How much extra does it cost?
You can get the remote with the guages built in + automatic defueling at a user-selectable temp. Plus, the remote is all you see in the cab. The computer gets hidden under the dash somewhere. I've heard they're more reliable, but I have not seen the actual numbers, nor have I tried the Comp.

If you'd like to see mine: PM3 Comp Remote

I can't remember the actual cost. It's a hobby and you don't count costs in hobbies, right?

IMHO,
brandon.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by More Power
On a load dyno any ideas everyone say High Outputs make smaller gains on fueling boxes.
Generally, the HO engines won't show as much HP from a fueling box. IF a given box makes 120 hp on an ETC (typically claimed), then the same box would make about 90hp on an HO.

The reason is that the VP44s used on the different trucks have different "reserves". The HO pumps are already using a little more duty cycle, to there's less room for enhancement. However, the difference is also the reason that the HO engines tend to make more HP with a given injector-- typically about 15hp more.

With the same BOMBs, an HO will make about the same HP as a non-HO. The higher compression might make a HAIR more power, but not much.

The TST competition box is the hardest fueling box on the market. It is the smoke king for sure. It can also be VERY powerful on a quick-spooling turbo because it responds to the rate of boost change. If boost is slowly coming up, then it adds fuel slowly. If boost is racing to the nether regions, then it adds a LOT of fuel RIGHT NOW.

The TST boxes also tend to be the least expensive. I know where you can get a regular pmax for $549. Competition version is $599. Add another $100 for the remote, and you have a KILLER fueling box for $700. Most of the other "competition" or "drag" style boxes run more than that by a decent amount.

I am still debating whether or not I am going to stack my EZ with a TST, or just run the TST all by itself. I will probably sell my EZ at that point because I will have enough power

Justin