Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

comp- question about adjustability

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 11:56 PM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comp- question about adjustability

plugging in my comp tomorrow and have a question. if i dont use the pump wire is it still adjustable? and if it is, to what extent? any suggestions on what to set it at if it is? i realize i wont get the full benifit w/out the wire, but that'll have to wait for tranny upgrades. thanks in advance!!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:comp- question about adjustability

Info straight from the horse's mouth.
www.edgeproductsinc.com

This answer to a question about power and defueling levels for the Comp was found on Edge's forum pages.

Brett
Edge Products Inc.
Group: Engineering
Posted: July 31 2002,15:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of levels on the Comp Power Levels, and Sub Levels. The Power Level sets the power increase under full boost that the Comp module will add, regardless of Sub Level setting. The Sub Level settings allow for adjustment of low boost fueling eliminating smoke if larger injectors or turbos are added.

Sub levels 1-3 on the Comp will provide defueling below stock. The defueling mode is entered if three conditions are met: rpm and boost are below a set value, and if stock fueling is being increased beyond a set rate. These conditions are different for each sub level 1-3. Once defuel is entered the rate of fueling increase is limited resulting in the defueling to reduce smoke. Defuel mode is exited once stock fuel equals the fueling from the limited increase, this way the transition is smooth and cannot be felt while driving. Defuel mode is entered the easiest in sub level 1 and has the smallest allowable fuel increase, while sub level 3 defuel mode is not entered as easily and has a larger allowable fuel increase.

Sub Levels 4 and 5 (and EZ jumper settings 1-3) allow adjustment of the additional fueling above stock based on boost level. Sub Level 5 (EZ jumper setting 3) will add the most fuel at low boost, Sub Level 4 corresponds to jumper setting 2 on the EZ. The amount of additional fuel to be added is calculated, the amount actually added after being compared to boost from the total is as shown below:
EZ Jumper setting 1 33% is added at 0 psi boost
100% is added at 20 psi boost

EZ Jumper setting 2 50% is added at 0 psi boost
100% is added at 15 psi boost

EZ Jumper setting 3 67% is added at 0 psi boost
100% is added at 10 psi boost

Fuel may be added at 0 psi boost on all Sub Levels and EZ Jumper settings unless the defuel mode is entered as described above.

Power Level 1 on the Comp is the same as the EZ, on Power Levels 2-5 addition power is added via the wire tap onto the VP44 injection pump. If the pump wire is not attached with a Comp Levels 2-5 can be ran, but the power gain is not any higher than Level 1, the power will come in much earlier in the throttle but overall gain is the same.

Hope this helps
Brett
Old 11-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Banned

My new comp edge box is supposed to be in the mail, so I thought this was great to see somebody ask this question. but call me a dummy, because sounded like it was written in greek to me, is there a simpler answer for us inbred types.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:18 PM
j

shovelhead.... thats exactly what i was looking for!! thanks very much.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:35 PM

[quote author=99 cummins link=board=7;threadid=7438;start=0#71499 date=1038071539]
My new comp edge box is supposed to be in the mail, so I thought this was great to see somebody ask this question. but call me a dummy, because sounded like it was written in greek to me, is there a simpler answer for us inbred types.
[/quote]

Check their website and forum at www.edgeproductsinc.com
Or better yet give them a call.......they're great people with fantastic customer service.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:38 PM

Actually, yes you will be able to adjust it, ON or OFF will be your only choices though.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:43 PM

I'm still &quot;wireless&quot;, and I can feel a difference between level 1, 3, and 5 on my comp.<br>The Dyno can too.<br>Off= ~179 hp<br>level 3=~212 hp<br>level 5=~221hp.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:47 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=7438;start=0#71572 date=1038087783]<br>I'm still &quot;wireless&quot;, and I can feel a difference between level 1, 3, and 5 on my comp.<br>The Dyno can too.<br>Off= ~179 hp<br>level 3=~212 hp<br>level 5=~221hp.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well I also dynoed without the pump wire, and I got 195hp with it off. With it on level 1x1, I got 235, and with it on 5x5, I got 235 with one more ft-lbs of torque. :<br><br>Andrew
Old 11-23-2002, 05:37 PM

Andrew,<br>I've heard that some of the newer CTDs don't repond as dramatically to the EZ (or comp without the wire) as the older models.<br>Might be that's the difference. ???<br>
Old 11-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Chapter President

J., what I did with my comp, (before I got the stealth cover) was set the sub levels to coincide with the power levels, ie., 1x1,2x2,3x3 etc.. so...while you cant change the power levels, you can change how quickly the box adjusts timing, etc... so you CAN kinda make it adj. without the wire. I did notice a difference on my 01 eth/dee on different sub-levels.<br>FWIW and 2 cents to boot. ;D<br><br> Cat Cracker
Old 11-25-2002, 03:24 AM
j

Well edge sent the wrong one so i'll just have to wait to a bit to install the new one when it gets here. thanks for the insight.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:24 PM

A couple of things happen when you leave the pump wire unhooked. <br><br>While the fueling level itself (that is, the amount of fueling or the parameter mapping performed by the box) is unchanged from level 1 to 5, the fueling does occur sooner in the throttle position on the higher levels. So you should notice a small difference in responsiveness.<br><br>To the extent that the EC timing parameters are influenced by the TPS, the &quot;no pump wire&quot; effect could indeed alter the timing parameters and fuel delivery. That explains cat cracker's comments. But, from talking with Edge, I see no way for WOT level 1 to be any different than WOT level 5, so thats a question mark for me, as to how these levels could produce a measureable difference.<br><br>Andrew and shovelhead, I'd be suspicious that your experiences fall within the natural variability of the dynomometer used. <br><br>And as for the &quot;newer&quot; models not responding as well to the Edge boxes, I think what we know on this subject to date is summarized by saying that it is the ETH (HO six speeds, available since 2001) that does not &quot;respond&quot; as well to a fueling box. Meaning that you get about 10 HP less gain from the ETH as you would with the ETC.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:14 PM

???
This was done on Oct 5 at Huffman's Motorsports on a DynoJet.
3 consecutive runs
run #1 box on 3.....212 hp
#2 box on 5.....221 hp
#3 box off ......179 hp

That's a heck of a variance.