Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Comp Edge Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comp Edge Boost?

i have a comp edge box, only getting max 24 lbs boost on 5x5. afe air intake, when i hammer it i have 6 lbs fuel presssure, 15 at idle. i have a new lift pump. is that normal?? im not using the "J" hook wastegate bolt
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
What does your pyro say?
IMO the problem is that your wastegate opens up and even though you overpower it a bit you do not get the full boost you should get- I think blocking the wastegate isn't a too good idea, wastegating the turbo to around 30-35 psi is much better.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGBIRD
i have a comp edge box, only getting max 24 lbs boost on 5x5. afe air intake, when i hammer it i have 6 lbs fuel presssure, 15 at idle. i have a new lift pump. is that normal?? im not using the "J" hook wastegate bolt
Why aren't you using the J hook? The Comp provides a large increase in additional fueling over stock and requires a corresponding increase in boost to match.....Power will be up and egt will be down if you use the J hook to stop the wastegate from opening. Even at your elevation, you should be able exceed 30 psi with the Comp on kill.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Why aren't you using the J hook? The Comp provides a large increase in additional fueling over stock and requires a corresponding increase in boost to match.....Power will be up and egt will be down if you use the J hook to stop the wastegate from opening. Even at your elevation, you should be able exceed 30 psi with the Comp on kill.

exactly, install the j hook. its why they gave it to you with the box
Old 05-02-2006, 07:43 AM

While running the boost elbow on mine, I can get upto 45 lbs of boost with the Comp box set on 5X5. I'm starting to think that I need to turn the boost back some. Hopefully that will contain my egts as I can reach 1200 pretty easy on a WOT run down the highway.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:13 PM

I have a question on this... I have a Banks Big Head waste gate and I can't get much past mid 20's without dropping to 3rd. but I don't see a place to use that elbow on my turbo??? I'm I missing some potential power?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM

well the "j" hook was not in the box, piers just gave it to me, i have heard mixed messages on to install it or not. i was told to not let the boost to go over 33 with my stock turbo. "anyone? is that true?" so i was worried. im green with all this, give me a toyota 4x4 to work on, in a snow storm in the dark with my shorts on, i can fix that. so ill install it. and lets see if the pyro will stay a little lower. it will hit 1400 no problem on hard accell.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
exactly, install the j hook. its why they gave it to you with the box
I never got a j hook in the box with the comp, only a over boost elbow that cannot be used on a 02 becasue of the steel line.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Chapter President

well the "j" hook was not in the box, piers just gave it to me, i have heard mixed messages on to install it or not. i was told to not let the boost to go over 33 with my stock turbo. "anyone? is that true?" so i was worried. im green with all this, give me a toyota 4x4 to work on, in a snow storm in the dark with my shorts on, i can fix that. so ill install it. and lets see if the pyro will stay a little lower. it will hit 1400 no problem on hard accell.
You are correct about the reasonable boost limit. The HY35 on your truck has a 9cm turbine housing which is small and will overspeed easily with additional fueling. That said, 32-33 psi is the max reasonable boost to expect out of the little HY which is about what I would expect the Comp on kill to deliver at your elevation with the HY. The fact that it will hit 1400* with the Comp as the only fueling mod would be reason enough IMO, to be running the J hook.....you certainly won't be doing you or the truck any favours by not running it.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comp Edge Boost?

Run your J hook I ran one for 2yrs before up grading turbo.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM

As seen in my sig i have a 98.5 and i was wonderin what turbo i have and how much boost i can safely pump out of it
Old 05-02-2006, 10:12 PM

ok i figured it out, installed it, now i get 33-34 no prob, wow what a difference, i hit 35 doing like 95 mph down the hwy. not normal driving.now i wonder if it will tow better. i still got the egt's up to 1400, but i was going up hill at 70 mph. it seemed to take longer to heat up.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Chapter President

ok i figured it out, installed it, now i get 33-34 no prob, wow what a difference, i hit 35 doing like 95 mph down the hwy. not normal driving.now i wonder if it will tow better. i still got the egt's up to 1400, but i was going up hill at 70 mph. it seemed to take longer to heat up.
Perfect! That is exactly how it should be......egt's should be much slower to rise right now but do keep in mind that you are starting slip out of the compressor's efficient range at 33-34 psi. If you can get ahold of a used HX35 which has the 12cm housing, you will be able to efficiently boost to 35 psi easily and you should be able to pick one up for next to nothing.....there are few shops very close to you that will be using them as door stops!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM

Does anybody know much about the Big Head design... I have one on my truck and I'm having a hard time getting that much boost too. What's a "j-hook?" Just the boost elbow they give you?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

HX35 on ebay, marine application, don't know if that would work....here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/holse...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Comp Edge Boost?