Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Comp Box Woes......

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comp Box Woes......

Howdy all...i got this gremlin that come out and plays with this truck i worked on every so often. Was wondering if any had the same prob with the Comp Box. What this guy is telling me is that the box works great most of the time. BUT then all of the sudden, most of the power is lost and he can only run about 40mph on the road. Then it comes back strong. Weird. We have redone the connection at the pump with a butt-splice and eliminated the scotch lock. (BUT i don’t think that would even cause such a prob....if that was a bad connection, you would just loose the boxes fueling boost). We installed an in cab switch to turn off the pump tap wire so it turned it into a 10 position box instead of a 5. Pretty cool. My guess now is leaning towards the harness or the MAP sensor. (We cant get any codes to pop either!!!!! but the light comes on....really strange). Any suggestion would be very helpful. The specs on the truck are....'99 Dodge 2500 4x4; 5" (way too big) Exhaust, new lift pump; Edge Comp box.

Also we have had issues with Blue Chips APB box. Same kinda thing. Works sometimes and then no power.......this isn’t supost to happen! haha.................
Old 12-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

Re:Comp Box Woes......

Sounds like the VP44 is getting ready to die.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:30 AM

Well here is some more info....we just went and tested the truck and the thing seems idle fine for a bit but then get a blurb....then fine....when you try to rev the motor...it goes to 1500 rpm then cuts out...then revs again to 2000...then cuts out...then revs 1500....cuts out to idle again....weird...APPS maybe? This is with your foot on the floor mind you.......
Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

I don't think so. Try resetting the APPS and see if that helps. Try plugging in another Comp box and seeing if it is in fact that box. Have you tried unplugging it and seeing if it does the same thing (returning it to stock more or less)?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 AM

Yes and i am searching how to reset the APPS. I know it has to do with Pushing the accell but other than that...im out. We took off all the stuff and ran another box. Same crap. the truck is all stock now and still messing up.....
Old 12-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Banned

Disconnect both neg battery terminals and leave the key in the run position for AT LEAST 30 minutes (nothing less). Hook the battery cables back up (after turning the key off of course). Turn the key to the run position and slowly press the accelerator to the floor 3 times. Turn the key off. If it does it while the box is off, then I'm almost certain that the VP44 is dying.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:59 AM

If i disconnected the bell crank assembly when i installed the pump wire tap, would that reset the perimeters of the APPS? Just a thought....
Old 12-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

I have no idea about that one.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 PM

What would be symptoms of a dying pump? I see you thought what was happening to this truck sounded like a bum pump...but wouldn’t it trip a code? We are getting the same code over and over...P1693. That’s it...no others. What is a way to check the pump?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:00 PM

Make sure your ECM harness is still tight. I've seen alot of wierd problems happen from the ECM connections being loose. Your symptom sounds similar to mine, and all I did was get under teh truck, reach up around the starter, and pushed on a couple of the ECM wires. Solved it.

You might want to check that.

BTW 1693 is a code, telling you , you have a code. :- Not nesacarily a stored code, but a code since the last reset.

Merrick
Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 PM

Now i got on my back and did not see any cluster of wires by the starter. Got any specific locations? He did just put in a new oil pan gasket, wonder if that did stress the wires when he raised the motor up. I am just up a creek on this on...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:24 PM

The ECM is just below the head, slightly in front and above the lift pump, slightly back from the VP44.

If you follow the return line from the VP44, as you get to the return line Mount off from the head, the ECM will be directly behind that. It's about 4"x6" and has two 1"x3" plugs plugged into it, with 50 wires in each plug.

It's a little difficult to find, but it's there on the drivers side, on the highest part of teh BLOCK. Just below the head. It's silver in color.

Merrick
Old 12-16-2003, 02:27 PM

OK...we got a real code scanner and got these codes:

P1689
P1688
two more but we set them when testing......release the hounds......
Old 12-16-2003, 03:19 PM

Found the prob. The gent had a pump box on his truck that went into the pull lock connection at the pump. His power steering went out and got oil over everything. He then swaped to the comp and put dielectric grease in the connection. We found trash and gunk in the connector, cleaned and reconnected.....Boom, ran fine! Talking about sweating bullets!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:21 PM

Glad all is ok... but what do the codes mean?

Quick Reply: Comp Box Woes......