Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Command starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My alarm w/ auto start turbo timer and similar bells and whistles as co dodge said,is made by viper.I got it at best buy.appx$150 installed it myself too. just gotta follow the directions which get a bit confusing at times.I made nice w/ the tech in the back and he gave me a print out of some wiring diagrams ,colors,and descriptions.let me know if you need them. i can post them for you.
the alarm itself has been reliable so far.1 yr and counting
Old 10-28-2005, 04:04 PM

I install remote starters for a living. I will NOT install a remote starter in a vehicle that has a manual transmission. To those of you that do, I have one thing to say...How's your bank account? The liability of your truck starting in gear and running over someone, or causing property damage will NOT be covered by your insurance carrier.

Some may say "I never leave my truck in gear." My response..all it takes is one time.

my .02
Old 10-28-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone
Well I got it installed today and its pretty neat. Wait to start is set manually to ten seconds. The only thing not neat is that it will crank even if it is in gear with the remote start. Another side effect is that I can now start the truck without the clutch when just using the key. And yes installing it this way is 100% illegal. Not sure why they were so eager to do it.
I don't like the sound of that one bit. These trucks have enough power to start in gear and idle right though the walls of your house, or worse...
The unit on my manual will only start if the tranny is in N and the parking brake is on.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like it either but I wasn't really in the position to tell the installers how full of it they are when they tell me that the can't tap a neutral safety switch or somesuch. If someone can tell me the wire to tap to do it right I will make them do it right. The installer talked it all up until the day of the install and then he claimed he couldn't tap the wait to start and stuck me with a 10 second wait to start delay. They didn't tap the tach for starting, didn't tap voltage for starting, just set a manual crank time, that isn't starting the truck most of the time. I think I'll be paying them a visit next week and tell them to get their act together or they can feel the wrath of the law. It wasn't until I got home and read the install manual that I figured out how much they shortcut all of this stuff. Luckily its a locally owned shop so hopefully I can get the owners ear if nothing else.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:57 AM

I called the manager just now. He seemed eager to make things right after I told him I wanted it legal. Thanks for prodding me guys.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by tbone
I don't like it either but I wasn't really in the position to tell the installers how full of it they are when they tell me that the can't tap a neutral safety switch or somesuch. If someone can tell me the wire to tap to do it right I will make them do it right. The installer talked it all up until the day of the install and then he claimed he couldn't tap the wait to start and stuck me with a 10 second wait to start delay. They didn't tap the tach for starting, didn't tap voltage for starting, just set a manual crank time, that isn't starting the truck most of the time. I think I'll be paying them a visit next week and tell them to get their act together or they can feel the wrath of the law. It wasn't until I got home and read the install manual that I figured out how much they shortcut all of this stuff. Luckily its a locally owned shop so hopefully I can get the owners ear if nothing else.
If I were you I wouldn't use it until it's safe. I know a fellow that had a very good car repair business. They disabled the clutch safety switch on a farm truck. Truck was in the shop and got started in gear and hit another customer. The customer that got hit owns the shop now.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:48 AM

So there are kits that will hook to a manual trans? I kinda curious...

I'm not liking the idea of the truck being able to start in gear...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:15 AM

If it will allow it to start in gear, keep looking.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM

So here is the question... (truck is at alarm place as I type) is there actually a neutral safety switch not related to the clutch switch?

Can a stock 2005 manual be started in neutral with no clutch? If the answer is no then it looks like I'm out of luck of a safe remote start in which case I'll try to get a partial refund.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:31 PM

There is a kit out there (not sure who makes it) it uses 4 infrared sensors mounted near the shifter. When aligned properly, it will allow the vehicle to start in neutral. If the transmission is in any position OTHER than neutral it will not allow the remote starter to start the vehicle.

I've never seen this setup but have been told it's very expensive and it's not foolproof either. Knock a sensor out of alignment and the remote starter won't work.