Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which comes first - box or injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which comes first - box or injectors?

Hey everyone

I'm searching and reading the forums for box and injector recommendations and have not found this answer - which do I do first?

I have gauges, FASS, stock clutch, 5 spd and tow - would like more power towing to keep speed going up hills, etc (8k total enclosed car hauler) and better mileage if possible. The majority here like the Mach 1.6 injectors (over the RV ones but it is close based on my searches) and probably Edge EZ or VA box - still on 53 block so will keep my mods light.

So, what is next and why?

Thank you for all the help.

BTW - 130k miles on truck now....
Old 02-04-2006, 07:17 AM

By going with a "box" first you will have the benefit of additional boost. Without installing some type of boost fooler and just adding injectors you will not see the added benefit of additional air..... I would go with the box first and then go for the injectors.

Doug Smith
Old 02-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

comp box & injectors = new clutch
Old 02-04-2006, 08:58 AM

I went with injs. first, noticed a considerable difference while towing, not so much difference empty. I then installed an ez and noticed a big difference empty and towing.

Don't expect better mileage, you may or may not get it, but there is no loss of mileage for the power increase either

After seeing that you have a 3.55 you might get better milage, I have the 4.10 and get the same as before the mods.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 AM

I agree with Doug... Go with the box first.... I would go with with something that has adjustability... especially if you go with a high HP box.. (wire tapping box.) This will give you some controll for your stock clutch.. and controll for towing when you go with injectors... (also allows you to go with bigger injectors.. for playing... and still be able to use them to tow.. ) I tow with 100hp injectors without EGT problems.. as long as I turn the box down.. or off..
Bryan
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies so far...but, here is a related question. At 130k miles, is it possible that my injectors are dirty, worn, etc. and therefore not capable of flowing like they should? So even with a box first, may not get the results that I would with even a NEW set of stock injectors?

So much to learn, yet so much fun learning. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered

you wouldnt notice a big enough difference if you replaced them with new stockers to justify the cost and time of doing it. i highly doubt you would notice a difference at all. if your going to replace the injectors, do it once and do it right. go ahead and get a comp or similar. you'll love it
Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just doing injectors your stock ecm will defuel and wont see serious HP gains I tow heavy in the 22-24k range and with the catcher and mach 1.6s i still see mpgs in the 20 and 10-12 towing and the power it makes im happy with
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by caffecapri
Hey everyone

I'm searching and reading the forums for box and injector recommendations and have not found this answer - which do I do first?

I have gauges, FASS, stock clutch, 5 spd and tow - would like more power towing to keep speed going up hills, etc (8k total enclosed car hauler) and better mileage if possible. The majority here like the Mach 1.6 injectors (over the RV ones but it is close based on my searches) and probably Edge EZ or VA box - still on 53 block so will keep my mods light.

So, what is next and why?

Thank you for all the help.

BTW - 130k miles on truck now....
I'd consider the Smarty from Marco. They'll be hitting the streets soon and have nine levels of adjustability although requiring 2-3 minute reprograming. There's been 400+ posts on the TDR. We'll be hearing the responses soon.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:57 PM

I was in the same boat, but now I've got a new VP to install, so I'm doing both (box and injectors) at the same time. I am going with a VA and 275's.

If you're concerned about your stock injectors being dirty, and don't want to sacrifice your clutch, why not try some mild nozzles? www.kermatdi.com has Bosio nozzles, which are really nice! They are, in essence, 275's, but are manufactured with such tight tolerances that they don't need shimmed ... install and go! If you want, for ease of mind, you can take them to your local diesel shop to check the pressures to make sure your injectors are good. This service is usually free. The price for the nozzles, when I last checked, is just under $150, when you use a discount code. Send Charlie (proprietor) an email, he's very informative! He'll advise you of the discount code, if it's still applicable.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 PM

Usually its not the fact that the tolerances are out of the aftermarket injector nozzles... It usually that the factory injectors were out of specs.. usually just from wear...
Old 02-05-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caffecapri
Thanks for the replies so far...but, here is a related question. At 130k miles, is it possible that my injectors are dirty, worn, etc. and therefore not capable of flowing like they should?
Many injector gurus report seeing wear on stock injectors well under 100,000 miles. But if your smoke level, mileage and smooth ideling are still ok... your probably not in serious need.

Agree with above; when you decide to swap... go Mach 1.6's for heavy towing.... but I would do the box first.

RJ
Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I bought a Van Aaken controller and installed it already - easy install - three plugs. 3rd, 4th and 5th pulling power is MUCH better - can't wait to see how it does with the trailer attached. Injectors and intake still to come...

This forum is great. Keep up the great advice.

Rami
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the good question and all the good advice. I was wondering the same thing.