Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cold Air???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is equiped w/ 3-1/2" from the turbo back is that sufficent for now if I have the muffler and cat removed???
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM

A straight piped 3.5" should be Ok up to 350 hp.

RJ
Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 PM

Ok , what chip or cpu...

I like the juice w/ attitude, thats what I had on my powerstroke...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Juice/Attitude combo is only available for the 3rd Gen common rail motors......The Edge Comp or EZ is available for 2nd Gen 24v's.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 PM

That sucks, so I have to purchase one of those and then get gauges too???

Which do you recommend?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Chapter President

There is actually a larger power gain to be had with a Comp on a SO engine compared to the Juice on a 3rd gen.

As far as gauges go, it is personal preference. I like the Autometer Sport Comp line - been using them for years but many guys on here like Isspro gauges.....both are excellent quality.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM

Re: Negative Chief

Originally posted by rjohnson
Since Justin is not on the site right now...thought I might respond.

Intercooler cools air between the air intake (outside air) and the turbo...methods of cooling are many.
Aftercooler cools the air after the turbo and can be done in many ways.

I don't believe that's oversimplified...but Hohn is the expert and will correct me if I'm not 100%.

EDIT: Chief...just realized I'm not sure if you were asking or explaining? Sorry if your post was not a question.

Rj
Me? An expert? That's HILARIOUS (or maybe it was meant as a slam?) Regardless, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Thanks for the chuckle, RJ

I'll I can share is what I've read and been led to believe.

My understanding is that the air-to-air or air-to-water (or any other liquid) has no bearing on whether or not it's called an intercooler or an aftercooler. You can have one of each (air-air, air-water intercooler and/or air-air, air-water aftercooler).

The term intercooler is properly applied BETWEEN STAGES OF TURBOCHARGING. This makes sense. We know that INTER-state highways run *between* States. Thus, it jives that an intercooler is *between* compression stages.

An aftercooler cools the charge after all stages of compression are complete. This would make more sense to those guys who work with huge industrial compressors (like in the oil and gas industry), where there are often multiple stages of compression involved.

Any kind of cooler fitted BEFORE the compression stages would be termed a pre-cooler or something like that.

AZcrawler made a good post about efficiency. The ability of the intercooler/aftercooler (or most correct, a CHARGE air cooler, as RJ pointed out) is directly related to the difference in temperatures between charge air and ambient. Large temp difference, more cooling performed.

Oh yeah, and for intakes--- SCOTTY2!!

Justin
Old 07-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Oh yeah-- and RHIP if I'm wrong
Old 07-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have to disagree with the labeling of an intercooler being specific to a turbocharged system... We've got blowers and pumps that utilize intercoolers in our manufacturing facility... And what else is a engine than a turbo, blower or pump? Hell, just out of curiosity I looked it up on Encarta .

device for cooling fluids: a heat exchanger that cools a fluid between successive stages of compression or chemical reaction

I'd say our application firmly fits within that definition.

Oh, and RHIP yourself. Enjoying those Mach 4's?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
Me? An expert? (or maybe it was meant as a slam?)....
No slam at all. You are the most voracious absorber of information I have run into in a long time and I have learned a lot from many of your threads.
In case you have difficulty accepting compliments (he said smiling)....that was one!

RJ
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks, RJ

Yes, the 4s do seem to be my dream injector.

Now if only I could find a fueling solution. Something like an ECM on the bottom end and a TST on the top end. Too bad they aren't playing well together. I personally think the ECM just brings the fuel so fast that adding a fuel box ends up being too much and you quench the fire.

jlh
Old 07-26-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Chief,
I have been told the opposite. But if you buy the biege version of our engine you have a couple of options. You can get a 6B(or 4{both natrually asp.}). You can get a 6BT( or 4{ turbo charged}). Or a 6BTA (or 4{turbo & Aftercooled}). When you get a 6BTA it comes with a water (coolent) - air heat exchanger. I feel that HOHN's last explanation seems to be the most logical and is not limited to Superchargers. An engineer can call something what ever they like, like wise the consumer can miss name items what ever they like. Generally a technicallity as long as everyone understands which piece is being discussed.

As for the original thought on the thread; through our own testing and holsets web site I have found there is a 1:3 ratio between inlet temp and exhaust. So if a cold air intake drops 20-30degrees( plosible depending on circumstances) you end up with 60-80 drop in EGT. This totaled with a free flowing exhaust it could save a person from upgrading a turbo and losing some spool up.

Randy

Originally posted by NavyChief
HOHN;
Let me clarify your terminology with regards to the difference between the Inter and After cooler. An AFTERCOOLER uses a liquid medium to cool the air charge and the INTERCOOLER uses air forced across the cooling fins either by the movement of the unit is attached to or by a outside source of airflow such as large ventilation fans.
Regards
I am
The Chief
[B]