Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cold Air???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Air???

I have an 01' cummins that I just purchased, I have had TURBO vehicles before and I was wondering... If these are intercooled than what would be the purpose of a cold air induction?

So with that note I have decided to run a filter directly to the turbo...

Am I wrong, Let me know.....
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Why defeat the purpose of the intercooler by running hot air into the turbo, when you don't have to? Thats like turning on your air conditioner and then opening your windows
Old 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A turbocharger will naturally heat the air charge.....the intercooler is there to counter the effects of the preheated air charge. The last thing you want to do is make the air entering the turbo even hotter than it already is by drawing in the very hot under hood air. The best air intake systems for CTD's only draw cooler ambient air from outside the truck. Though, I admit I am somewhat biased, and as a result of my own practical experience, the best intake on the market for CTD's that allows the most draw of the coolest air is the Scotty II.....I have seen first hand a 50* reduction in exhaust temps over the factory air box and a slightly larger reduction in exhaust temps over a BHAF.

BTW, that is a poor choice for your sig on this board.....not approprate.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 AM

Won't the air temp. cool to only what the intercooler temp. is...

As far as my sig , Every body has to laugh sometimes, just a joke.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While it is extremely offensive, it is incredibley funny. The best part being that CTD Nut is trying to argue about it.
Anyhoo, if you know that the intercooler cools the air even five degrees its a bonus, so why would you bypass it? Every little bit helps. Sort of like I have arthritis in my finger so it has lost a lot of mobility, but I'm not gonna cut it off just because it isn't 100% functional.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 AM

Re: Cold Air???

Originally posted by G-NOTE
I have an 01' cummins that I just purchased, I have had TURBO vehicles before and I was wondering... If these are intercooled than what would be the purpose of a cold air induction?

So with that note I have decided to run a filter directly to the turbo...

Am I wrong, Let me know.....
The intercooler (actually, it's more properly called an aftercooler) has no effect on the density of air that the turbo takes in.

You want cool, dense air going into the turbo. The colder and denser, the better. In fact, even more than on a non-turbo car or anything else. Air density going into the turbo has a multiplied effect over what it would have on a gasser.

Want proof? The only time I've been able to slip my clutch was in ambient temps of -8°F at lower elevation on dry pavement. Boost that previously maxes at 31psi would hit 35!

Never could slip it before Must make more power.

FYI-- my niece has Down's syndrome. I'd prefer the term "retard" be avoided. She is a loving, sweet and kind little girl.

Justin
Old 07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by DodgerDoob
While it is extremely offensive, it is incredibley funny. The best part being that CTD Nut is trying to argue about it.
Ho hum... I'm not interested at all in arguing about it....just stating my opinion. I think most here would agree that regardless if it is funny or not, if you have an offensive signature, it isn't appropriate for this particular board.....you are allowed to disagree with that statement.......I mean heck, I ain't the moderator around here.....but there are many, many other outlets on the internet that would welcome that type of humour if you can't get your fix here.

Anyway, back on topic! The cooler the air going into the turbo, the cooler it will be going to the intercooler which can help with egt control as well as power. You are correct, the intake charge will probably never be quite as cool as the abient air running through the intercooler......in the warmer weather, the intercooler has to take on an even bigger role to control the air charge temps. Example : if it is 100* ambient air temp and even with drawing the cooler outside air and running through the intercooler, the air charge temp still won't be as low as 100*.....drawing in hot under hood air only magnifies the problem and creates an even higher air charge temp.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:47 AM

OK, so what do you guys recommend a box filter replacment??? KNN, AFE , UNI
Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
For the best in Exhaust gas temp reduction, support this site and purchase a Scotty Air intake.

I designed it so if you have any questions, PM or email me.

Air intakes are turning into a bit of an area of contention on here...I know what my intake does...reduces harmful exhaust gas temps, filter at or below 7 PPM silicon and had been around the longest.

I inserted a small bit of an advertisement there.

Scotty
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM

HOHN;
Let me clarify your terminology with regards to the difference between the Inter and After cooler. An AFTERCOOLER uses a liquid medium to cool the air charge and the INTERCOOLER uses air forced across the cooling fins either by the movement of the unit is attached to or by a outside source of airflow such as large ventilation fans.
Regards
I am
The Chief
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Negative Chief

Since Justin is not on the site right now...thought I might respond.

Intercooler cools air between the air intake (outside air) and the turbo...methods of cooling are many.
Aftercooler cools the air after the turbo and can be done in many ways.

I don't believe that's oversimplified...but Hohn is the expert and will correct me if I'm not 100%.

EDIT: Chief...just realized I'm not sure if you were asking or explaining? Sorry if your post was not a question.

Rj
Old 07-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Chapter President

OK, so what do you guys recommend a box filter replacment??? KNN, AFE , UNI
The Scotty II.......the only filter that I have actually witnessed a measurable egt drop, firsthand.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:08 PM

An intercooler is an intercooler... We can call it an afterfcooler if that draws a better picture for you, but what we have is a component for reducing air intake temps... At essence, a device for lowering temperatures between two heating sources... #1 the turbo... #2 the combustion chamber. Some may assume the second heat source to be another compressor, but that's not defined anywhere... And technically, the combustion chamber IS a compressor... I digress... Plain and simple; it's a heat exchanger... Whether it's an air/air or air/liquid, it's still an intercooler (aftercooler, etc).

As to the cold air question, it can be as simple or complicated as you like... You can run formulas and equations to calculate heat transfer coeffecients, pressure drop, volume, etc, etc, etc... Assuming you have the correct data to fill in variables................

OR you could just revert to the basic priciple that colder air IN equates to colder air OUT... Compressing air makes heat... Period. Drop an ice cube in a glass of hot water and an ice cube in a glass of cold water. Is the hot water cooler than before? Of course. Is the cold water cooler than before? Of course. Is the hot water cooler than the cold water? Of course not.

If someone wants to pull air heated from the engine, radiator, intercooler (aftercooler), condenser, etc... Fine by me. If they'd like to bypass that process and pull air prior to all of that... Fine by me too... I should say fine FOR me.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Won't the air temp. cool to only what the intercooler temp. is...

In an ideal environment that would be true if the intercooler was big enough to handle the air flow and cool it to 100% or the exchange air temp.

However the intercooler is only efficient to a certain level and is reduced as the air flow through it increases and as the temperature increases. If you have hot boost (max boost) and max flow (max boost at max engine RPM) your intercooler is less able to pull out the heat. There is a term of heat soaking the intercooler, typically with low cooling air flow where it becomes so hot that it cannot remove the heat effectively.

The intercooler does not infinitely remove heat from the boost air. Its just a radiator if you simplify it. You can still overheat your engine at 10°F if the water flow is too hot (high load)and too quick to cool efficiently.

Hope that helps a bit..

Oh ya.. SCOTTY II...
Old 07-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Good point Crawler.

Can't remember where I heard it is an aftercooler if it's after the compressed air instead of before?

Dodge's terminology is probable even more accurate...."Charge Air Cooler"

RJ

Quick Reply: Cold Air???