Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which Clutch for these bombs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Clutch for these bombs?

Kinda long, sorry in advance, but please help me out!

Alright it looks like I'm going to be swapping in a 5 speed for the auto. That's being discussed in a different thread "Anyone in Colorado do this?" That's not the issue here. Instead, I'm wondering what clutch I should get for the truck when I switch the trans.

Bombs:
4 inch straight pipe, Edge Comp Tapped, AFE intake, ATS exhaust manifold,

Planned Bombs:
Injectors, New Turbo, (other suggestions) exhaust brake

I drive this every day, moderately hard. I also tow my wrangler with it every now and then (probably 15x a year)

So....long story short, I'd like to know what clutch will hold this power and work well for what I use the truck for. Thanks as always for the help.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM

I am going to guess OFE, but depending on your injectors and turbo pick maybe FE, but they say it is a bit more grabby. Or like me, go DD and never have to worry about it again!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by caleb c.
I am going to guess OFE, but depending on your injectors and turbo pick maybe FE, but they say it is a bit more grabby. Or like me, go DD and never have to worry about it again!
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough....My fault! I haven't had a 5 speed before, so the abrveviations (sp) aren't helping. I am really really new to the clutch world.

Also, Please include the best place to purchase the clutch and price if possible.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Oh my bad, Those are from Southbend. Which I, and probably 90 percent of the guys on here recomend. They arent the only way to go, but are the best IMO. Check em' out www.southbendclutch.com
Old 09-06-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough....My fault! I haven't had a 5 speed before, so the abrveviations (sp) aren't helping. I am really really new to the clutch world.

Also, Please include the best place to purchase the clutch and price if possible.

Thanks guys!
Hey,

i have a five speed as well, and I really would look at a Valair inc clutch as well for an option. I have their full ceramic clutch on my ride, and I cannot slip it (im at about 400 or so rwhp im guessin) it drives and rides well, Do not hesitate, i wouldnt talk good about a product if i didnt like it, and for these very reasonable prices, well u cant go wrong...

PM me for more details if u are interested..

Thanks!

Rick
Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Dang, I forgot about the Valair. I have been hearing good things about them as well. Sorry guys, not trying to knock you if you dont run a SBC.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by caleb c.
Dang, I forgot about the Valair. I have been hearing good things about them as well. Sorry guys, not trying to knock you if you dont run a SBC.
We only allow you to forget once a year....lucky for you you the year is coming to a close....Just don't let it happen again!!!!!

Any idea on the prices of these clutches? (not including labor, seeing as I'll put it in while I have the tranny out during the swap.)

Thanks guys!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SBC may not be the be all end all, but they ARE great clutches and very trustworthy, even if they aren't cheap.

Taking apart the trans even ONCE more than you plan to will easily offset the cost difference between a SBC and another clutch.

Con FE is very stout for a single disc, but the OFE is more tow-friendly. If all you tow is a Jeep toy, then I'd suggest the FE-- a little stouter holding and still remarkably smooth.

Two things to remember no matter which clutch you choose:
1) Get the flywheel resurfaced PROPERLY-- on a FLYWHEEL MACHINE.
2) Install a stronger pilot bearing like the excellent ones from Quad 4x4.

JMO

HJ
Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by HOHN

Con FE is very stout for a single disc, but the OFE is more tow-friendly. If all you tow is a Jeep toy, then I'd suggest the FE-- a little stouter holding and still remarkably smooth.

Two things to remember no matter which clutch you choose:
1) Get the flywheel resurfaced PROPERLY-- on a FLYWHEEL MACHINE.
2) Install a stronger pilot bearing like the excellent ones from Quad 4x4.

JMO

HJ
What's the difference in feel from the FE and the OFE? Will they both be daily driver friendly?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM

glad u started this thread...i'd also like to see some feedback on valair vs. sbc those are the two i have been looking at. valair seems to have better prices but seems like sbc has an unbeatable reputation.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by oldwhite12v
glad u started this thread...i'd also like to see some feedback on valair vs. sbc those are the two i have been looking at. valair seems to have better prices but seems like sbc has an unbeatable reputation.
I do what I can.....(not much)
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldwhite12v

I can vouch for Valair Inc..

i had driven a 500 horse truck with one and it couldnt be slipped, I cannot do the same on my truck either, slip it i mean. The clutch holds and holds very well. I have the full on ceramic clutch and since its already broken in it drives and shifts very well. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I have towed heavy with it (see my latest gallery pics), i have launched it hard on second and third gear launches, in 2 and four wheel drive, and ive dropped the hammer on the truck hard at 1500 rpms in fifth gear and no slippage whatsoever on it. the pedal pressure is softer on it than stock, although the clutch has to better set in to break in. It took me a good 600 miles or so before it sat in just right, but it was well worth it...

Id put a valair in my truck again in a heartbeat. Customer service was great for me, and for the price, hey it cannot be beat.. The clutch exceeds my needs and has allowed me some growing room for more power and mods... what more can I ask for?

Rick
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM

It doesn't even look like you have enough to over power a Con O. However, keeping in mind, that you always go bigger consider the OFE or FE.

I have the OFE and it is fairly grabby, at least compared to a stock clutch. Not bad though. Although backing a trailer can be jerky. I am happy with it. I would like to drive one with the FE to see how much difference there is.

Personally if I were you, I would build the auto.

I have the stick and wish I had built auto. I prefer a manual in everything, but in a turbo diesel, automatic is just faster.

Unless you could bolt a T56 to a Cummins and a transfer case
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
I can vouch for Valair Inc..

i had driven a 500 horse truck with one and it couldnt be slipped, I cannot do the same on my truck either, slip it i mean. The clutch holds and holds very well. I have the full on ceramic clutch and since its already broken in it drives and shifts very well. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I have towed heavy with it (see my latest gallery pics), i have launched it hard on second and third gear launches, in 2 and four wheel drive, and ive dropped the hammer on the truck hard at 1500 rpms in fifth gear and no slippage whatsoever on it. the pedal pressure is softer on it than stock, although the clutch has to better set in to break in. It took me a good 600 miles or so before it sat in just right, but it was well worth it...

Id put a valair in my truck again in a heartbeat. Customer service was great for me, and for the price, hey it cannot be beat.. The clutch exceeds my needs and has allowed me some growing room for more power and mods... what more can I ask for?

Rick

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!
Valair Inc. Rocks
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
What's the difference in feel from the FE and the OFE? Will they both be daily driver friendly?
Southbend uses organic and feramic clutch linings in their single disk clutches. O is organic, FE is feramic, and OFE has both.

Looks like some of the sbc's come with flywheels now, and peter's also offering HD ball bearing pilot.
What does the pilot bearing do btw?

Here's an example of some of the prices:
http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/795655.html

Quick Reply: Which Clutch for these bombs?