Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

clutch question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sounds about right. I do beleave that 12v put out more torque to hp then the other cummins
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM

VALIAR are still junk in my opinion! How many name trucks run them?? Pretty sure thats a big ZERO! Yes they are chinese components! I WOULD NOT PUT ONE IN A TRUCK THAT PLANNED ON SLED PULLING! And i would not put a southbend in a truck that planned on sled pulling, in less it is the iron giant!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by gotslicks
not to be rude but

350 and 900?
Heck, I did 334hp and 1042 a couple months ago. Stock turbo, big injectors, and Smokem's 3k GSK, which fuels rather well down low.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM

don't know who "VALIAR" is but i know valair makes a pretty good clutch for the price. there's more and more people pulling with them around here.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THE COMPANIES ABOVE THIS IS JUST MY ABSOLUTE HONEST OPINION ABOUT IT.

I have had a VALAIR clutch in all of my 4 trucks and have not had a single problem and watched him build 3 of them in his shop so dont really think they are CHINESE built...Maybe Chinese components but still awesome clutches...
I had one of dans single disc clutches in my 2000 p-pumped putting down over 600hp and had 9 hooks and 16 1/4 mile passes... with 2500 rpm 4x4 launches SO DONT TELL ME HIS CLUTCHES ARE JUNK.... MY 99 I HAD A SBC FULL FERAMIC IN IT TILL I TORE THE CENTER OUT AND SBC DID NOTHING FOR ME AFTER I HAD ONLY HAD THE CLUTCH FOR 6 WEEKS....

you make the choice...

anybody that wants to talk to me in person just give me a call

I hope this one does not get locked out like all the other VALAIR threads do!

I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THE COMPANIES ABOVE THIS IS JUST MY ABSOLUTE HONEST OPINION ABOUT IT.

Lets see...you say you had our FE clutch for six weeks and tore the center out and we did nothing for you so you now have 4 Valair clutches and all is good. But, you say that mine tore out in 6 weeks and we did nothing for you.................I only hope that there are at least multiple people on this forum as well as all the other forums that would back our customer service and say that something may be foul with this statement. I see you are from Texas as well. Usually my customer service is as good as the person calling. I certainly can't deny what you are saying because I don't know who you are but I can say that I feel I have done my best with customers problems and I know in my heart I have NEVER told anyone to take a hike in any way shape or form unless it was called for.

Peter
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by NMCTD
YUP...

They didn't have the optical pickup working at our dyno day, and I'm pretty sure my tach is a little off so I can't say exact numbers, but between 2 runs it dyno'd over 350hp between 1800-2000 rpm... you do the math

5252 X horspower / RPM = Torque

One Key factor to torque numbers is turbo size/response. The earlier in the rpm band the turbo lights the more HP you'll make at a lower RPM. The more HP you make at lower RPM the more torque you'll make.

So that being said, I'm still on the stock charger which spools up very fast at low RPM's, thus the high torque numbers.... Yeah the stock charger won't support a ton of HP and it gets a little hot on the dyno, but its hard to beat it for daily driving and low RPM torque numbers

thats awesome...I just got my 12v so I wasnt quite sure what to expect when I start adding some fuel. I went with the south bend. I dont know if the valair would have worked as well, but I dont even have a question about the sb
Old 11-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr

I have had a VALAIR clutch in all of my 4 trucks and have not had a single problem and watched him build 3 of them in his shop so dont really think they are CHINESE built...Maybe Chinese components but still awesome clutches...
I had one of dans single disc clutches in my 2000 p-pumped putting down over 600hp and had 9 hooks and 16 1/4 mile passes... with 2500 rpm 4x4 launches SO DONT TELL ME HIS CLUTCHES ARE JUNK.... MY 99 I HAD A SBC FULL FERAMIC IN IT TILL I TORE THE CENTER OUT AND SBC DID NOTHING FOR ME AFTER I HAD ONLY HAD THE CLUTCH FOR 6 WEEKS....

you make the choice...

anybody that wants to talk to me in person just give me a call

I hope this one does not get locked out like all the other VALAIR threads do!

Go some where else and advertise the junk you sell, I spend a good deal of my time helping guys replace those wonderful things with Quality South Bend Products
Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big Deezul
thats awesome...I just got my 12v so I wasnt quite sure what to expect when I start adding some fuel. I went with the south bend. I dont know if the valair would have worked as well, but I dont even have a question about the sb
Although I don't reccommend it on the stock charger 350+ is pretty easy to get out of these trucks without spending hardly any money, and keeping a small charger is where the bigger torque numbers come from. Just keep in mind this also causes a major restiction in the exhaust housing and can cause some major EGT issues if you don't keep an eye on the pyrometer.

My current peak HP is 360hp and if I hammer on it from a stop I can hit 1500 on the pyro at about 95mph. Since I very very rarely push it that hard I don't worry about it much, but if I ever wanted haul some heavy loads and be able to use all the power I would definetly need a bigger charger

No doubt about it South Bend is great, I just couldn't afford them when I needed a clutch cause my stocker was broke (not due to HP). I use my truck every day for work and couldn't afford the down time to save for anything better so I ordered a valair and have been very happy
Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 AM

I have a South Bend Clutch and love it ! Yes My truck is two wheel drive but have done 25 psi launches(have to launch low to keep the tires under it) , feathered it ALOT, and town with it. Not a lick of problem or any slippage !
Im very miticulus about my stuff and needed a new clutch and numerous people recommended SBC. Hope my opinion helps? I dont regret my purchase!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM

I am sorry about the mis spelling of your almighty VALAIR! But they are still JUNK! They WILL NOT HOLD in a high horsepower sled pulling application!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM

I'm not for people stealing others R&D... stealing is stealing I dont care how you cut it.. I'll stick with SBC thanks..
Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
I'm not for people stealing others R&D... stealing is stealing I dont care how you cut it.. I'll stick with SBC thanks..
Me either and of course it was no surprise when they tried to steal advertising here as well.