Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch gurus I need input..SB DD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 21ALPHA
I recently had the 3250 DD installed, along with the goodies I put in. I have had for a while now, lots of city driving so I decided to do a small boosted launch, I tryed about 8-10 psi, ended up doing a burnout(left it in 2 HI, now I know). But afterwards not, when I let the pedal out to engage a it groans a little and has some new vibration. This is only when the slipping it, once it's in gear it's normal. And this really is only noticeable leaving in 2nd gear, the 2-3 shift I don't have to slip, I just let it out at the right rpm and it goes. Any ideas? Did it get real hot, start acting weird? Thanks
Just keep driving it normally and it should get back to normal.
Sounds like you got it a little hot.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12vstrokethis
are you guy running a bigger input shaft also does the dd drive like **** on a daily drive.
david
At first the DD was a little jumpy pulling out from a dead stop, it took some time to get broke in. After I pulled my first sled, it has been super smooth. It feels like a single disc clutch. I would compare it to a Southbend con fe, a little grabby, but I have no problems backing up a 15k# trailer. I busted 3rd gear teeth off last week & figured that I would check the clutch out while it was apart, still looked like it had better than 3/4 of its life left. I have pulled sleds, towed daily through the summer & the clutch wasn't even discolored yet. My old single disc was blue when I pulled it out. I really like this clutch alot & will never go with another manufacturer after using a Southbend.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:05 AM

With a dual disk you don't want to do boosted launches. Just bring the rpms up then start slipping th clutch and boost comes up instantly. Holding the brake and building boost just wears the clutch needlessly.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
With a dual disk you don't want to do boosted launches. Just bring the rpms up then start slipping th clutch and boost comes up instantly. Holding the brake and building boost just wears the clutch needlessly.
HUH?
This is why we put DD in, so we CAN do boosted launches.
When I first installed my clutch, about 1000 miles later it was still grabby. I called Peter and he TOLD me to do a couple of boosted launches to seat everything.
If Peter says its OK then most likely its OK.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Hehe, boosted launches.
I don't do them anymore, at least not in 3rd gear . . .
I don't think that you need to worry too much about the life of your clutch.
I had mine out when I broke my trans last spring, and here are the pics below.

That was after countless 3rd gear 4wd launches at 4000 rpm, slipping it until I shifted to 4th.
There was still plenty of meat left on the disks, and I've driven it the same since. It chatters a little when taking off slow in 2nd, but it's never slipped still, and that includes plenty of drag races in the sand and pulling this:

Take care,
Phill
Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 PM

Well after all the replies I feel confident it's OK. About boosted launches, I don't think you can build boost that fast, just in the time of letting the clutch out normally. I certainly couldn't do that with a single disk and I don't think the double would make that method work.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

That is the way that i leave the line with a sled. I rev to about 3800, start letting the clutch out and the boost will start coming on. When the boost hits 40 lbs, let completly off clutch and floor it til you hit 300 ft. At least we hope.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 21ALPHA
Well after all the replies I feel confident it's OK. About boosted launches, I don't think you can build boost that fast, just in the time of letting the clutch out normally. I certainly couldn't do that with a single disk and I don't think the double would make that method work.
Do it the way Ph4tty said. When you're at 3200 rpm, boost comes up pretty fast when you put a load on it.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I did a few today, holding higher RPM helps (like 3200, I was doing about 2300 before) but after like 5 seconds of slipping it didn't build a lot, not sure about once I let out, I couldn't watch it, but they felt better. Less smoke and more GO! As for the clutch it feels the best it's felt yet, perfectly smooth, not a bit of that feeling now... I am working on loading some videos up, keep posted!