Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch...bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, single disks clutches are not made for sled pulling. Me and my bro, jd4440, found that out the hard way. Two winters ago I lost 4th gear in my old 98 12v 5spd. I was working my way up the mod list and my stock clutch had been slipping in 5th gear, so since i had it all apart I thought I would put a clutch in it. So I, like many other people found the Valair so cheap on ebay, so I bit on it. I put it in and it was slipping, turned out, my own mistake I greased the shaft to much, it was my first tranny drop, clutch swap. So I called the owner of Valair up, and he replaced the clutch for my mistake. Because of the good customer service my bro got a valair clutch as well for his 24v. So we both sled pulled that summer. The first pull, I smoked the clutch. Called up the owner and he claimed his clutch would hold for the sled pulling I was doing, so he sent me another clutch with a higher lb pressure plate. The next pull my bro smoked his, same thing, called the owner claimed it should hold sent him a new one. To make a long story short, my bro and I each put 3 clutches in that summer that valair sent us and claimed they would hold. So my experience is the last valair clutch I put it, I quit pulling and it has been a great clutch for normal everyday driving. Same with my bro, once he got off the track it was fine. So valair had great customer service, you could call him anytime, he was helpful and friendly, but he was claiming it should hold for sled pulling and it didn't. That was 2 yrs ago. I sold that truck to my neighbor and the last clutch is still holding up well. Now I have another 98 12v, but an auto. I figure I'll give that a whirl, I'm young yet! Just my $.02 on my valair, single disk pulling experience. Not trying to start anything, just telling my findings along the cummins power path! I learned alot about dropping trannys and clutch changes that summer! I could do it in my sleep!