Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cleaned the UNI Filter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Cleaned the UNI Filter.

Well, I have about 1 year and 40,000 Km on the Scotty II since I installed it last summer and it was time to pull it and do the clean. Wow was it ugly too, lots of that cottonwood fluff, bugs and a muddy on the red pre-filter.

I have owned a K&N drum filter for my 89 and 93 and cleaned it probably a dozen times and was dreading cleaning this one, but you know what.. This was EASY!!! The problem I had with the K&N was getting the grunge out of the pleats and soaking and re-soaking to wash it out. The UNI was nothing like that as you just take off the outer foam, rub off the heavy stuff and spray it down, rinse, and respray the heavy spots. Same with the inner filter. Rinse out and then I just wrapped the foam filters in a towel to see if I got all the dirt out and to dry out the heavy water. I like being able to take the pre-filter right off and squash the heck out it in the sink to get all the dirt out. The secondary filter was just a little dirty and wash just a quick cleaning.

It was dry in about 2 hours outside in the open air and re-oiled. Man, It took well over 6 hours of sun to get my K&N dry before so this was a treat!! I was skeptical of a foam filter, but the service side of it is a snap! Thanks to Scotty for switching to UNI....
Old 07-24-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine prior to selling it (due to twins) at about 60,000 miles. Did not realize the Oiling kit came with a cleaner solution also...Duh!

Did mine with soap & water. I use to rotate the filter 30 degrees @ oil change... for a clean side to face the fender intake....so the whole thing was pretty dirty.

Other than wishing I had a deep sink in the garage...it was also quite easy. Outside-filthy....inside-spotless!

RJ

Great system....sorry they are no more!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I did mine prior to selling it (due to twins) at about 60,000 miles. Did not realize the Oiling kit came with a cleaner solution also...Duh!

Did mine with soap & water. I use to rotate the filter 30 degrees @ oil change... for a clean side to face the fender intake....so the whole thing was pretty dirty.

Other than wishing I had a deep sink in the garage...it was also quite easy. Outside-filthy....inside-spotless!

RJ

Great system....sorry they are no more!
Did yours come with the Uni mine is just the AFE and needs to be cleaned.
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Olratlr
Did yours come with the Uni mine is just the AFE and needs to be cleaned.
Thanks.
Yes... A Uni Filter!

RJ
Old 07-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show Off !!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Show Off !!

Just keeping it clean for ya Doc!! (stil workin on a lock!!)

I used the laundry sink to clean it and ya it makes it easier. The cleaning solution is pretty potent stuff.. I used some Watkins Degreaser afterward to do the final wash and rinse. After cleaning the pleated filters for the last 6 years, this was a refreashing change. Easy to clean.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too, cleaned my Uni Filter this last winter. I think I will try the No-Toil Bike filter cleaner and oil next time. www.notoil.com. Watch the movie- there is some good bike action and directions.
I switched my KTM bike filter to No-Toil. I can't wait to clean it!