Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip

Can someone recomend an add-on chip for me?

I am still transporting RVs throughout the country. I try to pick out the lightest units to haul, typically under 10,000 lbs. I always ease off on the pedal and manually shift when I need to go from OD to third. I haul in 3rd only if the unit is really heavy or I have a head-wind condition.

I try to baby this machine to make it last as long a possible and I am especially kindly to the tranny. However, after over 230,000 on the truck I would like to try a little more power.

What chip or chips should I consider and where to buy them?

Also, when the tranny goes, what should I replace it with? Same with the next fuel injector pump.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 AM

This topic is like a cocked gun! There are several good boxes. From what I've heard the Edge EZ is a good towing box I've never used it though. I use a TST Power Max 3 w/ remote it works well on 5,6,7 hauling.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim

Edge EZ or something comparable!

Check Classified...(Top of this Page)....under 2nd Gen - Accessories. Good price on EZ but will need an adaptor for 2002. Better price on a Diesel Dynamics box (EZ model), made by EDGE. It's for a 98.5 CTD and may not work in yours?
If not familiar with EDGE, check here... http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dodge.html

For trans upgrade....I love my DTT and recommend them highly.
Check here http://www.dieseltrans.com/

I would recommend you do a tranny search...check all the top brands and start learning now...lots to read and you'll be ready when the time comes. JMO. Took me 2 months of off & on research to be comfortable with my decision.

RJ
Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 AM

I recommend the same thing as RJ, just do some research. I would say get an EZ and you will notice a big difference than compared to stock. It just depends on what else you plan on doing to your rig later on down the road. With the EZ, you shouldn't have to worry about your tranny. But to be safe, get some gauges first (pyro, fp, and tranny temp).
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Banned

The ez will give you 65hp and 185lbs/ft of torque and is a safe modification for you drivetrain
Old 12-07-2004, 04:08 PM

where to buy

Kyle:

Where can I buy an EZ and what can I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Tim

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
The ez will give you 65hp and 185lbs/ft of torque and is a safe modification for you drivetrain
Old 12-07-2004, 04:30 PM

Like RJ said, check the classifieds....seems like the EZ's are always in there. If not, go to the links page and search (call places) for the best price.
I would also recommend you get a fuel pressure gauge. Before I installed mine a couple weeks ago, I "thought" the truck was fine. Turns out it most likely saved me from having to see a VP44 sitting under the x-mas tree
Old 12-08-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by dodgediesel4x4
I But to be safe, get some gauges first (pyro, fp, and tranny temp).
Get gauges, especially fuel pressure!!! You might have a bad lift pump already and would only escalate the damages from having too low of a fuel pressure. $40 gauge or a $1300+ injection pump, just to put it in perspective. Pyrometer is also a useful item, especially with the HY-35 turbo.

Edge Products' EZ is a great upgrade, but I do not have a base of comparison as it is the only add-on box I have used. I actually had a Edge Comp, more power, but used it as an EZ, wire untapped, for a little while.

Also, when I added this box I had a strong clutch to withstand the extra power. Look into tranny upgrades through searches on this website and members' signatures.

Online store, online classifieds, and sponsored advertisers are good place to find one. As well as ebay, search engines, etc.

Good luck, Pat