Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip

Hey guys. I am interested in buying a chip for my truck. Its a 98 24 valve auto. I heard the EDGE EZ is a good product but what do you guys think? Also I dont want it to mess up anything on my truck like my tranny or pump so will it? Everything is stock on my truck so I am not sure if it will mess up my tranny in the future or now, also whats the deal with having to unhook one wire and what not? What should I do? I cant afford anymore than about $500 total so should I get a chip and an boost elbow for my turbo? If so where do I get it. Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:Chip

If your tranny is in good condition it will handle the EZ just fine. I don't know about any unhooking of any wire to increase performance. The only unhooking of the wire I have heard of is to allow you to go over around 120 MPH.<br><br>If you think you will want more power down the road and will beef up the tranny, get the Comp and just don't punch the injector pump wire until you have doen your tranny upgrades to handle the extra power. The Comp without punching the wire is the same as the EZ.<br><br>Chris
Old 05-26-2003, 08:55 PM

whats the comp and how much does that cost and where do I get it. Oh yeah my tranny seems to be in good shape it had some work done on it in 99 i think and it seems strong. It shifts kinda hard sometimes which I heard is good so I dont know. I do plan to beef up the tranny but what will i have to do to it and how much is that? Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 02:00 AM

Ahh, CumminsDude. You are on a slippery slope, heading towards the dark side of BOMBing.... ;D

The EZ is about as much as a Stock Automatic will handle.

The COMP will push it beyond it's limits, and you'll have a &quot;well done&quot; (aka cooked) tranny in short order.

Here's the bad news, a &quot;built&quot; tranny will run you between $2,500 and $4,000. The Good News? You will be able to throw as much power to it as you want. DTT, ATS, Goerend, and SunCoast are some of the transmission companies you should look into.

Here's the rundown..

1st thing you should do is gauges. A 24V truck needs a Fuel Pressure, boost, and EGT guage. You can mount them under the dash, on the dash, or on the &quot;A&quot;-Pillar. I have the A-Pillar mount, it keeps all the info right where I want it, and doesn't block much of the view. Of Course, Guages add 0 Horsepower, but the &quot;Cool&quot; factor will go up ;D and you will be able to catch any problems, and also moniter your motor to keep everything within safe limits. Looks at spending around $400 for a gauge setup if you are going to do it yourself, or about ~$600 to get somebody else to install them. (Do it yourself, it's not hard at all.)

This is the time you can do an exhaust, and/or intake and be able to tell what helps, and what hurts performance. Removing the muffler and resonator (24V's have no &quot;cat&quot will help with turbo spool-up and lower EGT. You could also do a 4&quot; or 5&quot; Exhaust (with or without muffler) or even stacks. This depends on your personal preference. An intake will help with future upgrades, and will bring up a FEW HP (~1-2HP) but mainly will help lower EGT. You will want to plan your intake and exhaust modifications with your anticiapted or planned HP, it's not fun or cost effective having to go back and buy parts twice. Depending on what Exhaust, and intake you prefer will depend on what you will spend. Budget $100 to $1,000 for these upgrades.

At this point, if everything seems fine (Fuel pressure, boost, EGT) You can add SOME power, or do the tranny.
The wiser of the two is to do the tranny. This isn't exactly a &quot;do it yourself&quot; type job. Building and installing the tranny is about 25% of the work, setting up the shift points, pressures, and all the little tricks most of us don't know is what makes taking and paying an experianced installer to do the work, worth the money. Budget between $3K-$4K for the tranny.

If you want to do some power, you can Add either a COMP (and run it like an EZ) or add an EZ. Which box that fits you best will depend on how you did the tranny. If you are not going to do the tranny, save your money, and just buy the EZ because that tranny won't hold much more. (reliably)
EZ's usually go for low $500's and COMP's for mid $700's. (PM, or e-mail me if you want to get more specific LPD@stx.rr.com)

If you chose to do the tranny, then get a COMP, (or similar box). You have your gauges, your intake, your exhaust, your tranny, crank that box up to the full 120HP, and enjoy. You can upgrade injectors now alos, but anymore than 350RWHP, and you are going to need to do another upgrade.....

Lift Pump, so far the best solution is the PE4200 pump with -8 Lines, and Aeroquip fittings. The stock lines are very restrictive, and can't support (flow) enough fuel to keep the VP44 (injection pump) alive. The VP44 is cooled and lubricated by Diesel fuel, Fuel Pressure is alot like Oil Pressure (as far as longevity is concerned) no Fuel Pressure, Dead VP44.

After the lift pump upgrades, or at the same time, you will need to do a turbo upgrade. There are many options available, do some research and choose what's best for you. I like the PDR HX-40 for trucks in the 350-450 HP range.

Hope this helps you.

Merrick Cummings Jr (Edited by Moderator)
Old 05-27-2003, 05:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

With a '98 24 valve Cummins, I'd stick with the EZ. <br><br>The early 24Vs have a nasty tendency to toast the Injection Pump when you hook up the wire for a Comp box. This was remedied on most of the late 1999 and up pumps.<br><br>Just something else to contemplate before your purchase.<br><br>Ed
Old 05-27-2003, 06:43 AM
DRD

Exactly what Shovelhead said. On the early trucks don't hook up the wire unless you are willing to put a new pump on. I rolled the dice and lost.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:06 AM

Ok but you think my truck will be able to handle the EZ? Will I notice that big of a difference with the EZ?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If all's well with your tranny so far,(no slipping, etc), the EZ should be a nice &quot;kick in the pants&quot; as far as a performance gain.<br>It won't give you a mind-blowing &quot;throw you back in the seat&quot; type of a gain.<br>But it won't toast your $1000 injection pump either. ;D
Old 05-27-2003, 04:01 PM

This wont affect my tranny or anything else in the future will it?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 PM

Also will it give me anymore pick up? Like I raced a mustang the other day and had him out of the hole but he got me around 50 mph, will the chip help me at all with this or is it more for towing? Thanks
Old 05-28-2003, 12:30 AM

yes :