Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cheapo Fuel Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Cheapo Fuel Cooler

It's getting hot here so I went to a local boneyard and purchased a trans cooler for $10 and installed it so that when the motor is running, air is being pulled past this cooler.
I bought a cooler install kit, hose & clamps at the auto parts store.
I trimmed all the existing mounting brackets off the cooler since they didn't fit anything on the truck.

There is a stud and a place for screwing in a bolt like maybe a factory extra heavy duty trans cooler in the same area.

I cut the return line just where it gets to the frame rail and added enough fuel hose to get to the front of the truck. Ran the hose across the frame, behind the brake lines and over the inner fender to the front.
After I finished the job and 1 hr. test ride and it does work but not as good as I'd hoped. The fuel gets cooled to ambient sure enough and the fuel tank is cool but there's still a bunch of heat soak from the motor I guess. I can now hold my hand on the VP top until I get bored but it's still very warm.
The good part is even if I get stopped in traffic, the fuel will be cooled as long as the motor is running.
Just for general knowledge, I timed the flow of the return line....a little over 3 qts./2 min. @ idle and 2qt./min. @ 1600 rpm stationary....lift pump showed 15 psi. Posting some pics in my gallery.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't think hot fuel was much of a problem with the Cummins.
What are you going to do when it gets cold?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:30 PM

I believe hot fuel doesn't cool the electronics inside the VP44 enough and causes trouble. Lots of VP's evidently go bad in hot weather.
When it gets cold, I'll bypass the cooler
Old 06-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
What are you going to do when it gets cold?
Enjoy the extra power!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clunk
It's getting hot here so I went to a local boneyard and purchased a trans cooler for $10 and installed it so that when the motor is running, air is being pulled past this cooler.
I bought a cooler install kit, hose & clamps at the auto parts store.
I trimmed all the existing mounting brackets off the cooler since they didn't fit anything on the truck.

There is a stud and a place for screwing in a bolt like maybe a factory extra heavy duty trans cooler in the same area.

I cut the return line just where it gets to the frame rail and added enough fuel hose to get to the front of the truck. Ran the hose across the frame, behind the brake lines and over the inner fender to the front.
After I finished the job and 1 hr. test ride and it does work but not as good as I'd hoped. The fuel gets cooled to ambient sure enough and the fuel tank is cool but there's still a bunch of heat soak from the motor I guess. I can now hold my hand on the VP top until I get bored but it's still very warm.
The good part is even if I get stopped in traffic, the fuel will be cooled as long as the motor is running.
Just for general knowledge, I timed the flow of the return line....a little over 3 qts./2 min. @ idle and 2qt./min. @ 1600 rpm stationary....lift pump showed 15 psi. Posting some pics in my gallery.
Good info Clunk but a question,I assume your talking about the return line out of the injection pump?
Did you time the flow with the engine shut down but the LP running?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Clunk
I believe hot fuel doesn't cool the electronics inside the VP44 enough and causes trouble. Lots of VP's evidently go bad in hot weather.
When it gets cold, I'll bypass the cooler
A piece of cardboard blocking it from airflow ought to be good enough in TN.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
Good info Clunk but a question,I assume your talking about the return line out of the injection pump?
Did you time the flow with the engine shut down but the LP running?
Yes, it's the return line at the frame ..it has the VP and injector passage (cylinder head) return.
The engine was running but it might be interesting to see if or how much it flowed on the starter bump.