Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cheapest place to get Twin Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are B1 B2 Twins... Looks like the same trucks from Poole's web page...
BD's set are a pair of S300's...
Old 08-06-2005, 11:41 PM

i have no clue what the powered by poole kit is.......but the dude from SC sent me these telling me this is what they look like ..........
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 AM

then i wouldn't buy from him because he's lying to you. give those relentless guys a call. i heard some good things about them.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM

give who a call?........i emailed him back thanking him for the pictures and asked him about "powered my poole"..........he told me that the pics he sent me are not of the BD kit but similar to what the Street kit looks like...... he said the air works only come on the Towing kit and powered by poole is owned my "X" Piers/BD employee who fabricated the twin kits for both companys and decided to get his own shop start fabricating his own twin kits under PBP "his initials which is known as "Powered by Poole".........they are of the same nature he said, because he still gets the turbos from the same supplyer as BD and Piers and uses pretty much the same stuff in all......here are HP rating he said generally run on Piers/Scwartz/BD/PBP which all pretty much use the same turbo combos are similar combo with same quench compression rates.....

Towing Twins - Ideal for higher HP trucks that tow. Excellent spoolup. Sacrifice upper end HP, for better spooling, lower smoke, and lower cruising temps with that heavy load.
55 psi 450HP - 550HP

Street Twins - Ideal balance between good spoolup and higher boost levels. Spools pretty well. Can be used for towing, yet still support higher HP trucks.
70 psi 550HP - 700HP

Racing Twins - Ideal for extreme HP trucks that want all out performance. Sacrifice some spoolup compared to street twins ( although still much better than a large single ), to gain all out performance for racing or pulling.
90 psi 700HP - 900HP
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just amazes me the bull some vendors will give you. The BD twins are a good set of twins and if the guy is going to sell you a set for under $3K, jump on it as that is a deal…..but don’t listen to anymore of this guy's advice. He is filling you full of…... If you are considering the BD twins,, you would do much better to just call up BD and ask them for all the specifics they can give you on their twins kit. They have a 1-800 number on their web site so it is free and you will get factual information the first time.

I can help with some of the misinformation:

Fact #1: BD only sells one set of twins….not a towing kit, a street kit, and a racing kit. Just one set configured for either a 2nd Gen or a 3rd Gen.

Fact #2: Nothing is free….you get what you pay for. The 2nd Gen kit does not include an ATS manifold, but your not paying $4,500 for it either. I personally would use an ATS. That is a lot of weight hanging off that manifold and the ATS is much beefier. No where can you get a kit for under $3K that does include an ATS. Your getting a good enough deal on the twins that if you want an ATS, just go buy one. They can be had for $350 from many vendors.

Fact #3: The BD kit includes a 4" downpipe and all necessary couplers and clamps to plumb it in to your existing 4" exhaust system. If you were purchasing the kit directly from BD, they would substitute the 4" downpipe for a 5" downpipe upon request if that is the size you needed. They charge extra for it though.

Fact #4: The BD twins kit configuration is exactly the same no matter where you purchase it. They are all boxed up at BD and shipped to their vendors. Every kit includes everything you need, including the air filter……100% complete.

Fact #5: The BD twins were designed to compete with 40/3B twin kits, and they do quite well at it considering BD left off the external gate in an effort to save money (cheap skates). They are built using two S300 turbos. Most don’t realize this, but even Olee Poole's B1/B2 twins are built with a S300 turbo (edited). The S300 is the same turbo that the entire B1 Bomber line is made from….they all come from the same S300. Vendors like TAD takes the S300 and configures it with different wheels, housings, and custom oil journals to make the B1 series. BD does the same thing, but instead of using TAD, they use AirWerks, a performance division of BorgWarner. They are custom S300 turbos that are matched to each other for the best possible performance in a twins configuration. They perform quite well considering their price and not having an external gate.

Here is what they look like:

Fact #6: If you haven't figured it out yet, BD markets all of their products to be affordable and with the lowest total cost of ownership as possible. Very few people can match their marketing skills, hence why vendors can't keep their products on the shelf. Most people don’t want the expense of head studs, so BD markets their turbos as not needing studs. This just saved potential customers $1,000+. To do this, they have to keep boost around 50psi and this is about where their twins will run as set per the instructions. If you do end up doing studs in the future, call up BD and tell them your ready for more boost and they will tell you how to turn them up and at what level to stop. BD has run their twins at 80lbs of boost during testing (not recommended). I have personally run them at 67lbs of boost. I currently have them set to run at 63lbs and they see that daily and do great. There are better twin kits out there, but they are not even close to the cost that your talking about.

If you have any more questions…I can probably answer most of them for you. Here is what they look like installed. Keep in mind this is a 3rd Gen. The 2nd Gen filter is in a different location and does not come with the chrome heat shield pictured.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Hmmmm. Pictures don't seem to be working. Try this: http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....ry.ten?id=8701
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Pics worked for me. My twins cost me about 600 inlcuding the hybrid 35/40.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:01 PM

Olee has 3 different sets listed on his website.
He sells the HX35/Ht3b combo, an Hx35/40 combo with B2 bottom turbo which is what is pictured on this threads previous page.

He also sells the B1/B2 combo which is pictured on powerbypoole.com

The B1 is based on the S300, but the B2 is a based on an S400 2 different turbos.
One is alot larger than the other, and weighs about 20 more lbs.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 PM

ok im so confused.........the kit i was looking at had an aftermarket manifold.......not to familiar with ATS but will look them up tonight but.....the bolts that where in the bag marked as exhuast head bolts i think it said and they had HEX tops........what im going to do is buy the kit and barrow my budy camera to take some pictures of it.....if your right about all what you said AK RAM then it kinda makes me think this kit is more less made up or something but the price is hard to beat and the turbos had alll the red plastic caps on them so im pretty sure they were unused......
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM

The guy is obviously not at all worried about giving you incorrect information. He may not be worried about selling you incorrect parts either.

If it is a BD kit, everything will be packaged separately in boxes with BD-Power stickers all over them. There will be no mistaking it. You could call BD and ask if this guy's shop is even a BD dealer.

That would absolutely suck if he sold you a kit using stock S300 turbos as they are not the same, but much cheaper. The stock wheels surge a lot on our trucks.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM

well ak i looked up the ats manifold last night and it macthed what i seen at the rv shop........i also called BD this morning and asked them if they ever made more then one kit and he told me that its not correctly a different kit. He told me if you order the BD kit and ask for the optional upgrade we do offer upgrades which include ATS manifold and external wastegate. I then asked him if they ever changed the turbo for an upgrade and he explained to me that when they first release the Twin Kit they had multiple turbos to upgrade to but quickly dropped them off product line do to a few reasons and reliability of the truck. he couldnt find any info on them because he only been workign there 2 years and does remember them but cant think of them off the top of his head... then i asked if the rv shop is certified reseller and it was a little bogus at first because the name wasnt in there database....but we found the address under different name but i have not yet asked if they have changed there name recently because its kinda a wierd quest to just outright say.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 AM

I have never heard of their optional upgrade kit. They want $4,600 retail for their standard kit. Retail for their upgrade kit must be outrageous. However, this kit with an external wastegate to help lower drive pressures when approaching 65lbs of boost would make this set ROCK!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM

I have the bd twins on my 02 and price was also a factor. I use my truck for 90% towing. I took out the spacer on my wastegate because my gauge only goes to 60 psi and I was maxing it out. I am guessing I was hitting 65 or so. I took the spacer out and now I can hit about 57psi. I have studs but I dont want to risk it. The bd twins are definately better than a single. I am satisfied with them so far pulling 43k back for 3500 miles I had no probs.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:32 PM

ok.....i go down on tuesday to pick them up......