Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A Cheap Performance Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
edy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Cheap Performance Clutch

I am looking into geting a diffrent clutch when this one dies. I want a cluth that can handle some abuse but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg for one either.Dose anybody know if can get a heavy duty clutch for a resonable price
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by edy
I am looking into geting a diffrent clutch when this one dies. I want a cluth that can handle some abuse but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg for one either.Dose anybody know if can get a heavy duty clutch for a resonable price

a shop near me, builds some clutches, he only puts bronce pads żis that english? onto the clutch disc. i think the clutch has no springs then, the take off is a very lil rough, but it does hold very well, with injectors and a good turbo. holds a lot more then the stock one, id say a bit over 400 HP
for 300 dls
any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edy

A clutch is one of those things

the cheaper you go, the more it will cost you in the long run.. SOuthbend all the way.. but if you must, get a stocker, they are better by far than the centerforce clutches... i had a dual friction and it went kaput 15K later...

Check out garretts selection at www.blackclouddieselperformance.com you will not find better customer service and he is a heck of a guy

Rick
Old 03-28-2006, 09:15 PM

amen on the centerforce brother

but check out valair inc. out of Mineral Wells tx,
They make a good clutch that will hold 500hp for about 425

jake

ps they sell a bunch of their clutches on ebay
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM

yeah like 12valve said there is also a local company that builds them around me for 100.00 for just the clutch. i like mine it holds good, it is a little rough taking off because of no springs but is worth every penny.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 AM

southbend makes the best single by far( duals i've never tried one but i love my haisley), even if peter made the worst clutch in the world he would sale a ton of them just because of his customer service. i've never seen any company stand behind a product like he does. the funny thing is i don't even own one. luc pro gold is a very good clutch for around $400 also, but if you can afford a sbc then get one
Old 03-29-2006, 07:14 AM

I've posted this before, I've read a bit about Spec Clutches. The prices are much less than SouthBend, and they offer one with a sintered iron disk.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 AM

What is the aprox. limit of a stock clutch? My friend has a 94 with a #10 plate pushed forward and about 250,000 miles on the clock. His clutch is starting to slip, but I was wondering if it is beyond it's limit or just because of all of the miles.

Also, if the limit is at or bellow 350 hp would a pro-luk be good up to about 400? Do these (or any of the others) hold up to allot of miles like the stock ones do?

thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 AM

i believe their are people running luc clutches with over 500hp. i can smoke a brand new stock clutch in less than a week with a "0" plate have seen this 3 times, anymore than 1/2-3/4 throttle and it slips. the heavier duty clutch you buy the longer it will last and it all depend on how you treat it.a dual disc could last years or it could only last a few months if you sled pull with it
Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 AM

I've put 5 South Bend clutches in different vehicles we own, ordered the 6th yesterday.

1. My Dual Disk - Peter sent me a new Input shaft when I bought the clutch used, don't know why. Has also sent me a new pilot bearing 18 months later at no charge
2. Brothers 454 Chevy - Kevlar South Bend, Zero Problem
3. Our Rollback 454 - Cheaper South Bend model. First one was shipped with wrong pressure plate, we didn't catch it, and destoyed the clutch. Peter sent us the correct one, new disk, and all not even a shipping charge for our mistake
4. Buddies 99 - Zero trouble, even with a loose nut behind the wheel
5. Buddies 02 - Same as the 99
6. 1993 S10 - On the way, should never have any trouble, no POWER

Peter has treated me great, just like I try to treat all my customers. For that, I'll never go anywhere else, as long as the quality stays as good as it has been

Chris
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve
a shop near me, builds some clutches, he only puts bronce pads żis that english? onto the clutch disc. i think the clutch has no springs then, the take off is a very lil rough, but it does hold very well, with injectors and a good turbo. holds a lot more then the stock one, id say a bit over 400 HP
for 300 dls
any thoughts?
The springs are hugely important-- you do NOT want to go without them. They dampen the vibrations that will cause spiral cracking of the input shaft.

A clutch is not the area to save money. Select a quality product THEN price shop to get the best price on that product.

Same for installation. It's very worth it to pay a little extra to someone who knows what they are doing and will properly prep the flywheel and such.

jh
Old 03-29-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
4. Buddies 99 - Zero trouble, even with a loose nut behind the wheel
Chris
I'll pretend I'm that buddy. I did tear up 2 clutch plates, a pressure plate and floater in that clutch... after ~13 passes at teh drag strip with a rookie driver trying boosted launchs in 3rd. After explaining to Peter what I did (burnt a perfectly good 3200# DD by not letting it cool), Peter said ship it back and he'll look at it. He shipped it back with a resurfaced flywheel, 2 new clutch plates, new floater, a new 3850# pressure plate and a bill that said "no charge". I about fell over after reading the bill. DEFINATELY recommend Peter since I can't imagine another manufacturer replacing a part due to obvious abuse.

brandon.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
amen on the centerforce brother

but check out valair inc. out of Mineral Wells tx,
They make a good clutch that will hold 500hp for about 425

jake

ps they sell a bunch of their clutches on ebay
Very true, plus they have great customer service also. I bought a 400HP clutch for 355 (shipped)from them. In the process of shipping UPS had to have slammed the clutch and pressure plate down because the throw out bearing was in pieces and there was a chunk out of the pressure plate face. Dan replaced it with a 600HP clutch for absoluetly free because they were out of stock on the 400HP. id give them a look see cuz when i called southbend they wanted 350-400 for a 300HP clutch.

Look at this item on ebay. 8050617572 I was wrong about HP its actually 450HP
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
SBC is the BEST! HANDS DOWN.

I was in a pinch and Bougth a LUK..i think it was a pro gold series..cant remember. That thing held and held and I put it thru much abuse. It was about 350.00 for the whole clutchkit....Very good clutch for the money if you dont have the money for a SBC.

Im not sure where your at but if oyu need a phone number to order one at this price pm me....
Old 03-30-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
I'll pretend I'm that buddy. I did tear up 2 clutch plates, a pressure plate and floater in that clutch... after ~13 passes at teh drag strip with a rookie driver trying boosted launchs in 3rd. After explaining to Peter what I did (burnt a perfectly good 3200# DD by not letting it cool), Peter said ship it back and he'll look at it. He shipped it back with a resurfaced flywheel, 2 new clutch plates, new floater, a new 3850# pressure plate and a bill that said "no charge". I about fell over after reading the bill. DEFINATELY recommend Peter since I can't imagine another manufacturer replacing a part due to obvious abuse.

brandon.
Actually, that's not you You don't count since you got rid of the real truck you had. Car's don't work on a diesel board

Get that truck running, then we'll talk after my first drive
Chris

Quick Reply: A Cheap Performance Clutch