Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cheap boost leak finder

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the lucas label for any 'cetane boost' info - if none, then yes - some Power Service\equiv
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM

Yes, the Lucas has a cetane additive in it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Ben

When you guys are checking for leaks make sure to plug right before the intake horn also.

The adjustable air flow regulator helps alot. And I would recommend running the pressure up fairly high.

All of my leaks that were found all happened at different psi. A lower intercooler boot that was fine the entire time failed at 24 psi. It had swelled enough to allow small cracks in the boot let air escape.

My observations from the whole process is that leaks are very apparent once the system is pressurized. There are leaks or there are not.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful about that pre intake horn advice. My last, biggest boost leak was the intake manifold gasket. Not the little 3x3 intake grid heater gaskets, the main 3"x15" intake gasket was blown between three bolt sections on the inside where it is hard to see. My turbo also leaks where the compressor housing mates to the center section, there is an oring there I think but I just live with that little one.

If egts are up, and boost is down, good indication of boost leaks and or slowly dieing injection pump that is not getting full advance on the timing. I would definitely check for boost leaks first!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM

ok bringing this one back been trying to pressure up my system but it aint working at all, ran a pump on it for 20mins with no pressure bulding???? sprayed all over cant find any leaks whats going on here?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM

what is an idication that u have a leak??? recently installed the edge juice att. and at lockup if i five it some gas on setting 3 i get a high pitch whine (other than turbo whistle)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM

thats one indication, i get i little wine but its hard to hear anything over my motor and turbo. im what im seeing is that the boost will climb to 20 psi then drop while the rpms keep climbing and now that fact that i cant buld any pressuer in the system is a deff sign something is really wrong. higher exost temps and lower boost is a good sine of boost leak too
Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM

How exactly are you testing for leaks?

One of the first posts in this thread shows my leak tester on the inlet nose of the turbo. I pressurize everything up to 30 psi, turbo, intercooler, hoses and the engine itself. There will be a little bit of a leak thru the motor itself but it will hold pressure long enough to find a leak. In most every case, you should be able to find by just listening for it.

If for whatever reason, you can't pressure up, try turning the motor over a few degrees and try again.

Trust me, it will work. I was very skeptical at first but it worked and off I went and found my leaks.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM

i used the same type of system, it acculy had a leak right where the turbo conects to that short 90 that goes to the intercooler. the leak was so big it didnt really make much noise had to run to a perterbuilt shop once i finaly found it to get the parts once that one was fixed i found another 2 one was a clamp that needed tightend a little and a bolt on the intake horn needed tightened a little thats all i can find for now... fewww
Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 AM

I have been trying to find a boost leak on my truck. I was trying to pressure up the system from the inlet on the turbo and wasn't sure if you could do it like that but from this thread I guess I should be able to. When I tried pressuring it up I can get it to 10psi and stop to see if it will hold and it dissipates pretty quick. I can hear it and am pretty sure its coming from somewhere close to the turbo maybe the o-ring in the elbow for the intercooler. I didn't spray it with soapy water yet because I didn't think I was doing it right. Besides that oring in the elbow is there anywhere else on the turbo it can be leaking?