Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which charger/s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which charger/s

Well it has come to that point which I decide that I definitely need a new turbo, mainly for cooler egt’s. I will probably go with a single to get me by for now and if I decide to go with twins down the road I will. My questions are: Which is better twins or a single, not worried about hp I just want something to cool my temps down and won’t be overworked. Can I still limit my boost with a single or more chargers to 40 or below psi and still keep the charger in its efficiency range or do I have to have more boost then that? I have looked at the new edge charger that they have and the twins from BD, but I don’t know much about chargers so I don’t know what would work for me and get what I want done. I also don’t want fire rings yet so keep that in mind. Keep also in mind that if I don’t have quite enough fuel for a charger I will get a cheap injector like a 370 to help if that will work.

Thanks Rick

I have 4 k kit
Keepers and retainers
60lb exhaust springs
100plate full forward
afc maxed out
Medium duty spring in afc
Old 07-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inline6359
Well it has come to that point which I decide that I definitely need a new turbo, mainly for cooler egt’s. I will probably go with a single to get me by for now and if I decide to go with twins down the road I will. My questions are: Which is better twins or a single, not worried about hp I just want something to cool my temps down and won’t be overworked. Can I still limit my boost with a single or more chargers to 40 or below psi and still keep the charger in its efficiency range or do I have to have more boost then that? I have looked at the new edge charger that they have and the twins from BD, but I don’t know much about chargers so I don’t know what would work for me and get what I want done. I also don’t want fire rings yet so keep that in mind. Keep also in mind that if I don’t have quite enough fuel for a charger I will get a cheap injector like a 370 to help if that will work.

Thanks Rick

I have 4 k kit
Keepers and retainers
60lb exhaust springs
100plate full forward
afc maxed out
Medium duty spring in afc
Sounds like a 62/12,

or a 64/14 will suit your needs if you want a single.. It will keep your EGTS nice and cool... if you go with the 370s you can run them with a stock charger, but it gets much more quickly than i like to (mods are in my sig) Maybe even a dodgezilla, or a 35/40 hybrid if you wanna go cheaper. But the first two i mentioned will definately do the job..

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 11:57 AM

where can i find 64/14's to look at and will i still have good spoolup with these chargers?

rick
Old 07-09-2006, 12:00 PM

where can i find 64/14's to look at and will i still have good spoolup with these chargers?

rick
You can find these turbos direct from the manufacturer

High tech turbo for the killer B2 series, or Industrial injection for the phatshaft series turbos. Which is better? lots of reading and opinions if you do a search, but in my opinion i think it all comes down to readin and deciphering which is better, In either case you will be makin a dramatic improvement over stock..

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 12:03 PM

and what about my 40 psi question? With 40 psi can i still keep it in that range and it work good or do i need to be higher. I dont want to do anything with the head yet and timing until i get there. Maybe 15.5 but only when i get the turbo but that is it. Would you also recommend getting the 3 peice manifold since i am doing it?

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM

and what about my 40 psi question? With 40 psi can i still keep it in that range and it work good or do i need to be higher. I dont want to do anything with the head yet and timing until i get there. Maybe 15.5 but only when i get the turbo but that is it. Would you also recommend getting the 3 peice manifold since i am doing it?

Rick
Stock headgaskets

will hold well to about 50 PSI, anything more and you risk blowin up a head gasket. I would suggest you do the timing and add a GSK to get the most out of your truck, before you even go with air. It will be a BIG difference.. I dont have a three piece manifold, but i do hear that they are better flowing and are gated at all six cylinders, not just three, which means you run cooler EGTS. Its a nice toy to have, although its not really nessesary cause with some minor work u can make ur stock one gate all six if i recall correctly. With a good aftermarket turbo you can hit 40 psi super easily, I know that cause i can hit it with a blocked wastegate with my stocker, BUT its just blowin hot air and really hurtin me more. So more boost aint always better. I just blocked my gate tho, because it helps minorly on the spoolup, but since i see your truck is a 12V PROPER AFC TUNING is a must and will help you achieve that wicked low end..

a Full forward plate and AFC are not always a good thing, especially if you have not adjusted your governer arm. My plate and my afc are not full forward and i can run better at where they are at right now than at full forward, less smoke, i utilize my fuel better, and it seems the truck runs better to me. No bogging down, or overfueling, not too much smoke. FYI i run a 2/3 forward fuel plate, 1/2 starwheel. and my AFC is full forward.

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Well i have been looking at power by poole and i was wondering if the KSB-1-EX4 would work. If not then what would be a good one to go with. almost forgot: It says on the web site that it is an extra 250 dollars for a waste gatred turbo. Does that mean that i need a wastegated one to keep psi to 40 or below. What all would i need or it to work from them. (turbo, blow off, waste gate, downpipe???)

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

PDW on this site, Doug can help you out. He will probably say phatshaft
Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 AM

That KSB-1 is very simular to the HTB2 and Phatshaft turbos recommended above. The latest and greatest is the Super phatshafts. Doug will make a good recommendation.