Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Changing a MANUAL Tranny TO AUTOMATIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing a MANUAL Tranny TO AUTOMATIC

First of all, If this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it.

Truck: 1998 3500 QC, 2wd, 5speed.

I was over at my wife's grandparents house last night, and he was telling me that he wants to go to an automatic tranny. His reason is that his wife cannot drive his truck, and he needs some relief when going on long trips. She told him that if he had a automatic, then she would drive for him.

Well, thats cool. I figured he would just sell the 98' and find a similar equiped truck with an auto. But here is where my story begins:

He wants to drop the NV4500, and put in an Allison 5speed auto! I tried to talk him out of the swap for money reasons, but if he can do it then more power to him.

I just think that for a man on a fixed budjet, that just replacing the whole truck would be more justifiable than doing a tranny swap.

He is pretty set on it. So here is my queston:

Is it worth it? (i think no)
How much will it cost him? (roughly 5k??)
Has anyone done a manual to auto swap?

thanks!!
Phillip.

BTW,,,,if he does decide to sell, then im gonna buy it. I cant pass up a '98 12v. Especially when i know the service record!!!
later
Old 06-24-2004, 10:45 AM

the problem i have seen is that most allisons don't have overdrive. and any of the big commercial one's are just to big to fit. you could adapt a new allison from a new chevy and use that but i don't see any way to do it for less than 5k. and the allison that are commercial truck trannys are horsepower eaters, as in up to 30% loss and most don't have a lockup feature. i was thinking about doing it myself, but finally decided it was better to just do a built 47 or 48 and bolt it up. mike
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 AM

OK....

well lets throw out the allison. Lets pretend were gonna do a 47. We know it will fit fine, but what about all the other stuff it will take to get it running? Cooler, linkage, and what not. Is it still a tough swap if you factor in a dodge tranny?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 AM

you will need a tps set up and i am not sure what computer to run it. you might want to give ats or someone a call and they could fill you in. i think it is easier to just get another truck. heck this is texas, we have a bunch to choose from. i see 98s all the time in the dfw area. mike
Old 06-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wouldnt this require changing the steering column and dash?
The auto's have the gear selector on the column and the gear display inside the instrument panel.
You would need to get a TPS mounted on the pump for the auto trans and I believe you'd need to get the trans computer as well.

Perhaps these parts could be picked up at a junk yard or purchase a donor truck to strip the parts from and get the wiring harnesses from, but that seems like a lot of work.

Are the drive shafts different length between an auto and a stick? Will you need different length shaft?

Many things to think about.

Rich
Old 06-24-2004, 12:32 PM

I agree Rich. For me, its not worth my time. If I had to have an auto that bad, I would just go buy one.

The way I see it, he can get a good 10k for the truck. Then he can take the money he thinks he wants to spend on a tranny swap, and add it to the 10k. That should be enough to get a good used auto truck, similarly equipped. Maybe he should think of getting a 4:10 too. He has a big cab-over camper, and pulls a van on a dolley. Its a funny setup, but they like it. Thats all that matters.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:42 PM

ATS Might just be the answer....

ATS Now has a 5 speed auto and they also have a valve body for manuel conversions. As for the column you can go with an aftermarket shifter that might fit the floor console.

DTT Might have some options as well.....

James
Old 06-25-2004, 01:16 PM

you have to change pcm, ecm, wire harness, crossmember, driveline, pedals.... etc. etc. not a easy task
Old 06-25-2004, 06:52 PM

also I thought the idle of automatics was different from 5 speeds man.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by SilverDodge
you have to change pcm, ecm, wire harness, crossmember, driveline, pedals.... etc. etc. not a easy task
The easiest way would be to use a a 47 RH tranny. The REs are going to give you a whole bunch of connectors. Oofta, there is a lot of work involved. I'd definitely buy a different one.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:56 AM

i would buy a different truck alos,you will need apps sensor,steering column, trans cooler,trans converter,ect. ect. and for the money to do the swap the truck wouldnt be worth the money,explain to him that there is a lot of things to change and is costly,maybe he will see it better looking at all the things that need to be changed
Old 06-28-2004, 07:14 AM

I was over at his house on saturday. I let him read these replys, and I believe he has decided against changing it out.