Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cetane boost/max injector advance= better or worse fuel mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cetane boost/max injector advance= better or worse fuel mileage ?

I was told by a guy with a diesel Jeep Liberty that too much cetane will hurt fuel mileage in a diesel that is running timing advance with a tuner. I am run ning the Blue Chip VP44 Special X and am experimenting with different additives to see what works the best for getting the most out of my dodge.
If I am running the maximum safe timing advance, does it help of hurt fuel mileage to go past a certain point with cetane boost ?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM

The ASTN Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states. "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cedtane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the imnportance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number.

Try all you like but your right foot will have more influence on your mileage than any additive you try.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I experimented with several different additives for tens of thousands of miles many years ago.
Most said they improved cetane along with many other claims.
Not one penciled out in a price per mile fuel savings even if they did increase mpg and performance a little.

The only additive worth using is one that prevents gelling in the winter.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM

i ran standadyne performance additive in the winter up here and i defenitely helps a ton with cold starting, less smoke on cold starts and smoother idling. cant say it helped mileage by up to 7% like they claim but it didnt make it worse. im still running stock timing and cant answer your specific question but i will always run it in cold weather just for the reasons stated above
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 AM

I was told by a guy that was supposed to be knowledgeable with diesels that increasing the cetane caused the fuel to burn faster and would cause the fuel to burn before the piston passed top dead center and would counter the advantages of the increased advance. Am I wrong with thinking that a higher performance Cummins ( making more boost, more fuel with programming or injectors) would make better use of increased cetane. A stock engine would get by and require a lower cetane rating for best power and mileage ?