Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner

Thanks Commatoze for the update. I'd be looking at this to extend my drain interval beyond 15K miles. Using a quality synthetic oil, coupled with the ISB's near 3 gallon capacity, I'm comfortable running up to 15K changes with standard filtration.<br>The spinner would remove most of diesel engine's #1 contaminant, soot. Although depending on cost, one could treat fuel with a cetane boost additive as well, to reduce soot contamination of the lube oil.<br><br>
Old 02-23-2003, 02:55 PM
cp

[quote author=Ruralmedic link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=15#108096 date=1046032276]<br>The spinner would remove most of diesel engine's #1 contaminant, soot. Although depending on cost, one could treat fuel with a cetane boost additive as well, to reduce soot contamination of the lube oil.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Having owned one of these things, I can tell you it does not remove soot. Your oil will be just as black as it ever was.<br><br>And, how would a cetane booster reduce soot contamination of the oil?
Old 02-23-2003, 10:47 PM

Cetane to diesel fuel is similar to what octane is to gasoline. Unfortunately, we always don't know the quality of the diesel fuel we're buying, as cetane numbers aren't always posted on the pumps like gasoline's are.<br><br>Soot is a by-product of combustion from petro diesel fuel. The higher the cetane number of the fuel, the more complete the combustion process will be, thereby reducing the amount of soot. Those that use a cetane boost additive to their fuel, have shown less amounts of soot on used oil analysis reports.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed alot less soot or smoke after using Lubetechs performance additive that helps boost the Cetane. Also finding a good vender of #2 is worth the travel time..

AS for the spinner or any other bypass filtration, great for industrial stationary applications with larger engines. The ISB or 6BTA will outlast the truck on regular oil drains and filtration. You have to weigh the cost vs. the benefits IMHO.. My 89 had 400,000Km (250,000Mi) on it with regular filtration and oil drains with only 8500 hours on the engine.. Still had 380Psi compression (400 is new) and ran like a top. They say the engine is good for at least 10,000 hours. Do the math, most of these trucks will be in the junkyard by then.

J-eh
Old 02-24-2003, 07:28 PM
cp

[quote author=Ruralmedic link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=15#108282 date=1046062046]<br>Cetane to diesel fuel is similar to what octane is to gasoline. Unfortunately, we always don't know the quality of the diesel fuel we're buying, as cetane numbers aren't always posted on the pumps like gasoline's are.<br><br>Soot is a by-product of combustion from petro diesel fuel. The higher the cetane number of the fuel, the more complete the combustion process will be, thereby reducing the amount of soot. Those that use a cetane boost additive to their fuel, have shown less amounts of soot on used oil analysis reports. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Could you steer me to a source for the last paragraph? My understanding of cetane is that it is primarily and indicator of cold starting ability and has nothing to do with efficiency of combustion. I'm sure many an additive maker makes that claim but I'd like to see it from an independent source.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on the SpinnerII ?

Sad that there is not some info out about this product
as it applies to the Dodge Community. Has anyone used this with success on a Dodge?

I have installed and had excellent results with the air driven models but no experience with the pressure driven smaller new series.

I would like to find a kit for an 01'. Anyone putting the pieces together yet.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:31 AM

You might be interested in the Cummins requirements for any bypass filter for the engine. They require a .050 orface and a valve that shuts it down below 30 pounds of pressure. I looked for such a valve at one time and never found one.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 PM

I understand Cummins wanting a control valve. My guess would be the Spinner II products dept. would be able to supply a valve of this type or if not
someone like Bimba being able to come up with a valve.

I'm a little puzzled with the Spinner II people not pursuing sales for their 25 Series... I have to change oil every 7/8K which ends up being more than 9 to 10 times a year and if I could cut this in half, the unit would pay for itself in no time not to mention the other benifits.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM

Oil Centrifuge

Hello, The oil centrifuge spins upwards to 6K rpm... That puts a load on the dirt and slings it to the outer wall of the spinning bowl. When I took mine apart after 2500 miles on a 73K mile Duramax I was amazed at the grit and crud it had collected. After 3500 miles the dipstickwas coming out very clean. yes it was dirtier than clean mineral oil, but no grit, and you can see through it on the stick.. Smooth-- So the engine had been cleaned up by the constant re-circulation of the clean oil.. I then put in Synthetic oil, towed 1500 miles and the oil is still see through on the stick and feels like oil should. slippery not gritty and not filled with dirt... Oil analysis will take place every oil change interval with oil filter changed at time recommended by filter folks... The unit on this rig is a Dieselcraft DOC20 and has a valve that opens at 30psi to protect the motor. it only uses about 10% of the oil pump output,,, .6L per min... but enough to do the trick and then some..It did not change the oil pressure indications and I did look for that. The oil centrifuge is here to stay on my 2002 3500 CC with the Duramax. I will answer questions if anyone wants facts. or pics, etc... cheers to all who think...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 AM

I changed the oil in my Mack the i drive for work the first time the other day and it had one of these things on it, i had no idea what it was, and the other driver who is a "3rd year certified diesel mechanic" as he claims, didnt know what it was iether, I'll have to tell him Im not taking any advise from him any more and that im sticking to DTR.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 AM

got one on our 14L detroit running our mud pump at the rig.Its a spinner 2 I think,changed the papers a bit ago and there was a lot of crud in there.They do an excellent job ,thats for sure.What about this fs2000 thing in the magazines?It seems more for trucks like ours
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 AM

Talking Oil Centrifuge cleaning

Hello Cowboy, yes they have been on large units for years and they sit wherever they are put and almost silently clean the oil, the DOC20 from Dieselcraft.com on mine is small enough to fit little bitty units and yet large enough to fit the 400 cu inch or so on our light Duty Trucks... They do need to be cleaned periodically and then reassembled correctly. I chose the Dieselcraft one because mine is mounted on a modified Oil Filler tube for the Duramax and it clears the hood. Since its a gravity flow unit back to the system its very simple... Keep on thinking,,,