Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Centramatic Balancer Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centramatic Balancer Review

I just got done test driving these. For those of you who don't know what these are, go to www.centramatic.com. They are a slightly different approach to balancing than the beads or normal lead weights. I'm running 315/75/16 Trailcutter R/T's. One tire balanced out with 4.25 oz of weight and another balanced out with 1.75 oz of weight and the other two didn't have any (don't know if that's good or bad). Anyways, I stripped the weights off, slapped the balancers on, and went for a spin. I've put about 20 miles on them and dang this thing is smooth. I got it up to about 80mph and there was ZERO vibration. This thing rides really smooth. I'll let yall know more once I put some miles on them. They do seem to ride a tad smoother than they did with the normal lead weights (I put about 300 miles on the tires with the lead) but I'm not to sure. I'll give yall a more in depth report once I put some more miles on them.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:44 PM

I've had these on now for five months. You couldn't get me to use anything else. They are the bomb. I have brand new BFG TKO's with NO weights on my rim's.....and the truck runs as smooth as a baby's butt at 90.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

Yup. I still can't believe how well they work. I wish I had them on for my nittos. My nittos required I think around 8 oz a tire if not more to balance.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I added 5 oz. of ceramic beads to my tires through the valve stem. I left the weights on since they were already "balanced". Now I have NO vobration at all, ZERO, where there was always alittle hint of a un-balance. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:02 PM

BigBlue
Just make sure to periodically check your lugs as the centramatics can have a tendancy to make them come loose. Other than that, I absolutely love them and have been using them for almost two years now.
mishkaya
Old 03-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on them. I plan on doing my own tire rotations now so it shouldn't be a big deal but thanks for the warning.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM

I've been thinking about getting Centrimatics next time I get new tires. But I just tried something today that absolutely amazed me. I had my tires rotated and balanced about 3 months ago, and should have gone back because I had a bad vibration in the 60~65 MPH range. Today I put about 16~18 oz of ANTIFREEZE in my tires and took a few short test spins today. I swear the vibe is gone ! Smooth as a babies butt too ! I was really surprised. It seems like Fluid/Centrimatics or beads or whatever what make it worse. It seems like the force would send the weight to the worst place its needed, but dang It worked and for only a few bucks worth of antifreeze !
Old 03-26-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't give the Centramatics such a glowing review. I have had them on for about 500 miles, really trying to give them a chance, but I am not happy with them. I put them on and pulled off the outside weights on my Procomp 315/75-16's, the heaviest having 7.75 ozs. The Centramatics are supposed to be able to handle 10 ozs, so I figured I was set.
Well it's smooth sometimes but hitting a bump on the highway (55+ MPH) seemed to trigger a vibration which would remain a while then go away. As I never had this vibration before the Centramatics I had to deduct it was them not doing their job. I had the tires rebalanced yesterday and the highway vibration, even trhough bumps, is gone.
I'd still like to believe, but my test has not proven it.

Chris
Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've put about 20 miles on them and dang this thing is smooth. I got it up to about 80mph and there was ZERO vibration.
Blue... For testing purposes, I find biggest problem will be in the 60-70 mph range. (Sorry to suggest you slow down a little).
My Beads always work well at 75 mph+. I do get an occasional vibration at 65 mpg. Not all the time and not very often??? No pattern I can see, so far..... very frustrating

Balancing beads work perfectly for 65,000 miles on my 285's, but with 315's there is some dissatisfaction. I'm using 12 oz @ tire and I know the beads work; I suspect the centramatics are just as effective.

I wonder if the 315's aren't just too much tire for a 16x8" wheel under some conditions? I drove a set of 315's on 10" wheels (like your) and it seemed to be a little more stable platform.

I will be surprised if you have any problems with your new set up! If you do, it should show at 65 mph +/-.
Good Luck!

RJ
Old 03-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

I did testing at normal freeway speeds as well (70mph) and I didn't feel anything. I've got a 200 mile round trip today with speeds ranging from 70-60 so I'll get a good feel for em today.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
I added 5 oz. of ceramic beads to my tires through the valve stem. I left the weights on since they were already "balanced". Now I have NO vobration at all, ZERO, where there was always alittle hint of a un-balance. I highly recommend it.
Can you give more detail, like where did you get the ceramic beads etc.?
Thanks much.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Can you give more detail, like where did you get the ceramic beads etc.?
Thanks much.
This website should answer any of your questions
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

I use these beads every time I get new tires on my own rigs and at work, about fifteen rigs now without problem. Buy an extra bag just in case of a flat.
I'll never go back to lead weights.
I have Centramatics on my Freightliner, they work excellent also but have the advantage that most all semis have the same lug pattern. Justifies the high expense as I can move them to a new truck. Wouldn't be the case if I ever changed brands on a pickup.