Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Center Force vs South Bend Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Force vs South Bend Clutches

??? ??? I know this has been discussed before, but a search of the archives showed nothing worthwhile. As below, I have an '02 6 spd with 275 injectors; Edge EZ; 32 lb of boost; just under 22,000 miles. I carry an 8 ft camper, and total vehicle weight is 9600 lb. - on the scales. Last week the stock clutch started slipping under full torque (1800 rpm, full throttle) while on a trip, and I nursed it home...........and no, I DON'T ride, or slip the clutch. The dealer (Dave Smith) says to use the Center Force single disc; or for really long term, heavy duty - use the twin disc, tho' it's noisy when idling in neutral. So what ?? Price difference is something like $300.00 (??). In following this forum, I've only seen mention of South Bend clutches. Can anybody give a valid comparison between the South Bend & Center Force ?? Will the twin disc really give better life ?? I don't care about a little more noise, (on a Cummins ??) and in that price range, $300.00 isn't an issue either. How about pedal pressure ?? Will having a local shop install it affect my drivetrain warranty ?? How much money should I expect to spend ?? My truck is still driveable, but this has to be taken care of pretty soon. Thanks all Lar.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:42 AM

Re:Center Force vs South Bend Clutches

I had a Centerjunk in my truck for about 15 months.<br>It was hard to get into reverse alot of the time.<br>It was supposed to hold 400 HP - 800 ft lbs. or that what Centerforce said it would.<br>I have never dynoed but I don't think I'm at that level. YET !!<br>My truck runs respectable but I'm not sure on the #'s.<br>This clutch started slipping and was slipping ( empty truck ) in 3'rd , 4'th , and 5'th.<br>Then back in Oct. I was going to town and got to playing a little and twisted the center out of the hub.<br>I now have a South Bend and am well satisfied with it's preformance.<br>It has not slipped or nothing yet and I regularly load mt truck ( 25-30,000 lbs. gross ) hauling farm equip.<br>I wrench a buddies truck with the same setup and it's doing the samething, it just hasn't broke yet.<br>Centerforce only has 90 day warrenty on thier clutches.<br>That should have told me something.<br>I contacted them and they would NOT stand behind it.<br><br> By the way I'm a little more than a shadetree mech.<br>I have been pulling wrenches for about 30+ years.<br><br>Good Luck with what ever you choose.<br>But if you use a Centerforce be prepaired to do the job again.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

ive heard many examples of centerforce not holding up behind a cummins<br><br>many folks are happy with their sbc<br><br>i had a sbc con fe on my 02 eth 381rwhp and a sbc con-ofe on my 98.5.[ez,dd2s lpg and tm] used em for towing and had no probs. folks have even abused their sbc and it holds up
Old 02-02-2003, 11:32 AM
4x4
Banned

On the other hand, I now that with the people who have owned Centerforce clutches that they say that with the Dual-friction clutch with the carbon fiber material that the pedal pressure is reduced compared to stock. I'm not saying that I like them, but I did alot of research on them(so when I finally need to replace mine I know what I want) and with the parts they use they should easily handly the power ya'll are talking about!?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Banned

I dont know if you like pulling your trans in and out or not. But if you dont like to do things twice, then I would go with the SBC. Here is their website.<br><br>Go here for the best clutch on the road!<br><br>J.R.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:47 AM

The pedal pressure is less on a SBC than on a Centerforce.<br>You are correct that the pressure is less with the Centerforce than the Stock.<br>The Dual Friction will hold fine in a gasser, but it won't hold the ft. lbs. that a Cummins will produce.<br>I can show the pieces of after it is put behind a Cummins that works for a living.<br>I personally know of 12 Centerforces that are having the same type probs. that mine did.<br>When a company will not back up a product that is a concern to me.<br>Even if the 90 day warranty is up and there is that many units out there having probs. I would think that the manufactuar would want to take care of it to learn WHY.<br>But thats not the case.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 02-02-2003, 12:43 PM

OK, so it looks like the SB is the way to go. Now..........which one ??..........and where to buy it ?? Will this affect my warranties ?? Thanks a lot Lar.<br><br>[quote author=J.R. Adkins link=board=7;threadid=10410;start=0#99599 date=1044207590]<br>I dont know if you like pulling your trans in and out or not. But if you dont like to do things twice, then I would go with the SBC. Here is their website.<br><br>Go here for the best clutch on the road!<br><br>J.R.<br>[/quote]
Old 02-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Banned

You can by it here! Piers DIesel Research<br>Call them and talk to them about your application. 866-888-9396<br><br><br>J.R.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:53 PM

Piers is supposed to have SBC on sale this month I think.<br>Ask for Piers or Al.<br>I just bought some parts from Al and he was very helpful on the phone.<br><br>Or Wildcat Diesel has them also.<br><br>Most vendors will handle SBC.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 02-02-2003, 02:27 PM

The Difference SOUTHBEND vs. centerforce.<br>The SOUTHBEND is the only way to go. Can't be any happier with it. The centerforce is used by alot of hotshot drivers down here, but they dont do much BOMBING, just a little better than factory clutch, and that keeps them satisfied.<br>Just my 2 cents worth<br>
Old 02-02-2003, 05:26 PM

With my setup, I fried my Centerforce dual friction in about 2 months. While driving to pick up my new clutch, I couldn't apply more than 1/4 throttle in 4th or 5th without it slipping. My Mcleod twin disk hasn't had these problems, even with hard 3rd gear launches on occasion.