Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

cb antenna pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieselDude,

I like the mirror mount, it clears all loads.

Wher do I get some?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mirror mounts are cool but useless once you put a slide-in camper on the truck......the antennas end up touching the overhead bunk on the camper and they are also far too short once the camper is in place. The only feasible solution is to have another antenna mounted up high on the camper if you expect to have reasonable performance from your CB with a slide-in camper in place.

FWIW, Dieseldude did an excellent job mounting his antennas on the mirrors - a very clean install but tricky to do.......maybe he can explain the process better.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM

How do I post a pic??
Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CSAGrey1
How do I post a pic??

See the post HERE

Rich
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM

Thats not an antenna. THis is an antenna!
Agrred. You really should get the load on those antennas above the top of the cab. You will be very pleased with the reslts. I dont know how you can achieve a good VSWR with the loads being close enough to the rig to cause reflection? I would show you a pic of my mount but I have changed mount styles to a custom built one since this photo was takin'. Also mirror mounts are a bad idea on a p-up unless you are going to use a ground plane kit, however they do have line of sight advantages when towing a trailer. Just remeber this;Keep the load above cab level, Keep 60% or better above the roof line, and there is no such thing as too much ground!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:29 PM

Dang it still aint workin
this forum is not very idiot friendly
The pics I am trying to post are saved in My Pictures; can I use these without changing there format or downloading them elsewhere??
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CSAGrey1
Dang it still aint workin
this forum is not very idiot friendly
The pics I am trying to post are saved in My Pictures; can I use these without changing there format or downloading them elsewhere??
Yes/Maybe/No.

"can I use these..."
Yes: You may use the pics from your hard drive.

"...without changing there format ..."
Maybe: You may need to modify the pictures to reduce the size so you can upload them into your "Members Photo Gallery" section here at DTR.

"...or downloading them elsewhere"
No: You can not host them off your hard drive. You will need to upload them to a web server first.
As I stated above, uploading the pictures into your gallery here at DTR will work.

Rich.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
DieselDude,

I like the mirror mount, it clears all loads.

Wher do I get some?
It wasn't easy mounting the antenna mounts on the mirrors. It took me about 6months of thinking(something that i dont do often) and 1 broken mirror to do. I used firestik mounts and antennas, driver side; no ground plane 4ft CB antenna, passenger side; 4ft scanner antenna. Roof mount is another scanner antenna "T" connected to the other and CB antenna, I wasn't getting good SWR so I had to do a roof mount so as of right now the driverside is a decoration to match the other side.

The mounts I used were firestik Model M-2, I took the mirror out oh so carefully, bent the mounting plate it came with and drilled 2 holes in the side and made sure it was vertical like the radio antenna. Hardest part is running the wire through the mirror and through the door, cut a hole in the existing wire harness inside the cab to feed it through. Sorry i can't describe it better took me months to figure out. good luck
Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM

How do you show the picture larger?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 12vordie

How do you show the picture larger?
Don't link to the thumbnail.
Go to the page where the pic is full size, then a couple lines underneath it will be the UBB code.
Copy that entire line of code, and paste into your post.

Thusly: (extra spaces put in so the code shows up instead of the picture)

[img ]http ://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/34082000_0032-med.jpg[/img ]

Old 07-13-2005, 03:49 PM

cool, thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 PM

Wilson 1000 or Wilson 1000 trucker is the way to go. Everything else is a waste.

I didn't want to drill my roof so I got a Firestik firefly. It's basically garbage. When I get around to it I'll drop the $60 on a Wilson 1000,drill the roof and DO IT RIGHT.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:24 PM

Could just put a wilson 1000 on a mag mount. I have been around big time cber's all my life I am talking 100,000 watt rigs and have never seen anyone go through the hassle of drilling thier roof just to mount an entry level wilson.

Drill a hole for something like this.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 PM

Wilson 1000 is not "entry level." It's probably the best that you will get for a mobile antenna on a legal installation. Mag mount is fine but it will scratch up your roof and makes for a much less professional installation.

As for 100,000 watts, that is cancer territory. What is the point? CB Radio is supposed to be 4 watts. Albiet illegal, I can see maybe up to 25 watts just to get a little more distance but the hundreds, thousands and up to me is just dumb. That is what ham radio is for.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't know of any ham operators that run that much power, you usually have to have atleast 8 240 amp alts. under the hood to power something that big.
It is a hobby, just like bombing these trucks, I don't hear of any big cber's calling what we do with these trucks dumb. Sure, I have some wilsons laying around here somewhere, the coil melted in them from to much power. If you just want to talk to your buddy down the road then sure, 25 watts is fine, but if you want to hang with the big boys all over the country then you have to have a big antenna and some fire in the wire, not a wilson and a under powered cb.
IT IS JUST A HOBBY, LIKE WE HAVE HERE.

Quick Reply: cb antenna pics