Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Catcher W/ TST or Catcher Special W/ Comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marco
I've had both the Comp and the TST boxes. Both were the competition version. I like the TST best. With a rather high timing even the EGT's stay somewhat in check with the TST. I'm still testing the timing aspect, nothing I would feel comfortable to release to the public for now but looks promising.
Glad to see the MAD catcher developing.

Are you saying that you did the regular ecm with the tst and the special with the comp or the same ecm with both boxes? Regardless I am glad you are continuing to refine your ecm.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Randy, The TST box has 9 levels for adjustability
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 95ram
Hohn, I dont think we can go bigger than a Mach 4.5 with our HO's. You can but you wont see any differance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, yes, those are the injector limits IF YOU TAP THE WIRE. The HO will run out of fuel with a wire tap box and M4.5s or so.

But with no wire tap, the duty cycle is much less-- theoretically allowing the use of a larger injector.

Personally, I can't see the difference between 50% duty cycle and 750cc injectors, and 75% duty cycle, and 500cc flow injectors. Both should deliver the same amount of fuel, correct? The difference between the two is rate-of discharge, or HOW LONG it takes a given amount of fuel to enter the cylinder. This is important.

Now we know that the stock HO injectors flow 600cc, so I'm guessing that a big stick like a mach 4 is on the order of 800+cc.

I'd like to have someone explain to me why you can't substitute injector flow for duty cycle. I suspect that rate-of-discharge may be part of the answer.

jh
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM

That and the fact that the VP does not deliver a constant pressure like the CR does.

I have your Hyper secret test software in an ECM ready to be shipped...
I'll send you a PM tomorrow, have to run now.

Marco
Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 PM

So has anyone run a Catcher with a Blue Chip Redline Box?

Chris
Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mad and redline seems to be a favorite of sled pullers.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marco
That and the fact that the VP does not deliver a constant pressure like the CR does.

I have your Hyper secret test software in an ECM ready to be shipped...
I'll send you a PM tomorrow, have to run now.

Marco
Cool.

The constant pressure thing is a big piece of the puzzle. But isn't the minimum pressure set by the pop-off value of the injector??

Therefore, as long as the pop pressure is set high enough to where you get a least some decent atomization out of a large injector, then you should be able to run an injector big enough to nearly empty the plungers, correct?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

He has s.o pump with his auto, so his pump can/should supply enough fuel as injectors are only Mach 1.5's. Even tapping pump wire should be safe(r), than on a ho pump, and more power from it. Either way (TST or Comp)it will be a fast combo.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
That's just a driving style thing. You're not supposed to floor it from a start with a Catcher.
RJ wanted a floor-it-and-forget-it solution for drag racing, and the Catcher requires a different driving style than that.......jh
I don't know about wanting to "floor-it-and-forget-it"...but I would like to build some boost on the line, before releasing the brake. Could not with the MAD ECM, Mach 4's and TST PM3 on #9. Once off the line, it seems to me, roooooling into the throttle is not an ideal way to get the best ET in a 1/4 mile.

Also, to review, while I am probably the least expirienced, I am NOT the only member that had trouble drag racing a MAD ECM. I know of three...one was a Drag Comp.

To restate what I have said before...I loved my MAD ECM and miss it for daily driving. If I had twin turbos, I believe I would not have had the problem mentioned above and would still have the MAD ECM. It is a great product.

I personally get better 1/4 mile times with a little less fuel during early stages of boost (EZ instead of MAD ECM). I hope that's ok with you guys?

RJ
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

RJ what was your MAD setup like with TST box on a lower setting for daily driving, did it still seem to bog much, or at all?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 AM

TORQUE,
No bog at all! Loved it. At gross wt (2-3 times a week) and in the hot summer, the smoke was a little heavy with Mach 4's. Empty it is a dream to drive.
For daily driving I ended up driving with the TST on a very low setting, 0-2. Just did not need it with the MAD ECM.

Playing with it on the back roads, even with the TST on max, it's fine...as long as you smoothly add throttle till some boost comes in.

RJ
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned

RJ, what are your impressions about your combo now on lower settings(or on higher), is it as responsive as MAD ECM was, or close but not quite same for everyday driving? Did you dyno with each combo, which was quickest in 1/4 mile? Just curious, Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM

Nothing gives low end torque like the MAd ECM w/ timing!.....Nothing!

That said, I can get 95% the same responsiveness to light throttle with an EZ stacked on a TST box (set on MAX). Just need a tiny bit more throttle to equal the MAD ECM response.
Since both the MAD ECM and the EZ only bring more fuel earlier....and don't really add any fueling (because there is no tapped wire), I feel I have almost as good as a MAD ECM.....and am ready for a full throttle run, when wanted! Plus I have the option of turning down the TST when I get heavy. This is a real help with my big injectors in controlling smoke!

If I was starting over again....and did not have a burning desire to know what 500+ hp felt like, I would buy a MAD ECM, Mach 4's, BD small twins (or a KSB-1), and never tap the wire for a box!!
I'd have the most responsive 400-425 HP truck in the country. And probably the most fun to drive!

Sorry no dyno comparisons
1/4 mile - Faster with the EZ...for me.
I did 14 sec/102 mph w/ EZ....best with MAD ECM was 15 sec/97 mph.
RJ
Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

RJ, pretty much what I thought, except the 1/4 mile times . I knew you had the bogging/flooding issue with your larger injectors, just didn't think it would drop 1/4 mile run time THAT much. I'm glad I went with the Mach 1.6's with MAD ECM, didn't think I needed more than that for my needs, and I was right. I hope to take mine to track next summer to see my 1/4 mile run times. Thanks for the info.