Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

catcher timming question????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking catcher timming question????

hi guys,im really leaning towards a mad ecm,my question is,is the special one for use witha comp as noticeable as the regular one?i have a comp but run it mostly on the lower settings for milage only.if i got a regular ecm and ran the comp low would it be ok?also im worried if the comp craps out on me{like ive read many do}i dont want to be stuck with a not to noticable ecm.just a though.let me know you opinions.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trust me-- it's noticeable. I tested a "special" for a couple days. It was SICK with the bottom end response and fueling.

This was with JUST the ECM and my injectors.

Since I *only* have experience with the "special", I can't tell you how it differs from a regular catcher in the response area.

All I can say is that even the special is amazingly responsive, and you will NOT be stuck with a gutless wonder if you run just the ECM and your injectors.

jlh
Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hohn's expirience with the special is great imput...only example I know of testing no timing box AND a MAD ECM with no timing.

I would not ever run a regular MAD ECM (with timing) and a box with timing. I have heard rumors the MAD ECM adds almost 30 degrees timing. This may or may not be accurate...but it does add all you need.

Also, I don't believe the Comp changes/reduces timing with a lower setting?

Do you really see better mileage with the Comp turned down??

RJ
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM

Not to get off subject but will a catcher off a 2002 (in classifieds) work on another non HO of a diff year. Just wonderin
Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 AM

thanx for the great responses,after all the reading of other posts ivedecieded the catcher is the way to go.i will get the special one.{hope my comp never craps out}i idid notice a diference in milage with the comp on 3-1 as aposed to the higher settings.i get the least amount of smoke and still decent response with the setup i have on that setting.havent done the math yet but seems like im going farther per tank.maybe some catcher guys will help the other guy out but i think the catcher is year specific from what ive read.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:04 AM

Ocmechanx

It will run beautifully...on a 5 speed or an auto. However you will loose your oil pressure readings...not actual pressure , just the indicator. The oil pressure sensor unit was redesigned in 02 to give more accurate readings and is not compatible with previous 2nd gens.

RJ
Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 AM

rjohnson
So any mad ecm 98.5 to 01 should be completly compatible wiring harness and all?
Thanks much for the info
Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the 98.5 and 2002 are different software version, it will not work
Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 AM

My mistake, I guess. Think of the EZ's.... 01 + 02 are same unit...just a different hook up. But before 01...totally different programing in the Box!

RJ
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Re: Ocmechanx

Originally posted by rjohnson
It will run beautifully...on a 5 speed or an auto. However you will loose your oil pressure readings...not actual pressure , just the indicator. The oil pressure sensor unit was redesigned in 02 to give more accurate readings and is not compatible with previous 2nd gens.

RJ
So an '02 ecm is more or less required for an '02, but other years are more interchangeable? Or am I interpreting this thread wrong?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 AM

I have the Van Aaken V5 box and really like the bottom end power. If
I get a CaTCHER , should I get the special with no timing and stack it
with the Van Aaken , or get the regular CaTCHER and sell the Van Aaken.
Performance is more important that trying to save the most money.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 AM

RJ, I believe there are 29 different software version for the 98.5-2002 trucks.

All that I am trying to do is save someone some grief and frustrations if there is a software conflict.

Dieselcamper, sell the va and recoup some of the catcher cost.

Marco programs the catcher to get all of the fuel of of the vp44 within stock parameters ( no wire tap)

I only saw a 3 hp gain by adding an ez stacked to my catcher

(your results may vary)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Ocmechanx

Originally posted by jfpointer
So an '02 ecm is more or less required for an '02, but other years are more interchangeable? Or am I interpreting this thread wrong?
Don't know about other years....but 02 requires an 02 MAD ECM. An 02 HO, requires an 02, HO ECM.

Dieselcamper - If performance is important...I would not sell the VA. The MAD ECM taps no wire, and as such does not add fuel at top end. Stack with a "special" and learn to roll into throttle gradually...you'll get amazing bottom end as well as your present VA top end.

Bob, I understand and appreciate the imput. I was amazed my 02 auto MAD ECM worked well in an 01, 5 speed. Ran beautifully and only problem was loss of oil pressure gauge. Also worked great in an 02, 5 speed with no oil pressure gauge problem. The Dodge ECM is dumb enough to work in some cases...but not in others. Just trying to figure it out, myself.

RJ
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Re: Re: Ocmechanx

Originally posted by jfpointer

02/auto/federal emissions is a different program than the 02/6sp/federal emission

not interchangable
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Would i see an improvement over a comp if i switched to a catcher and some injectors? What about egt's and mileage? Just trying to get a feel for what would give me the best all around performance and economy.

Quick Reply: catcher timming question????