Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

CATCHER is in, first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on MAD ECM, towing with Catcher(total 18,500 lbs approx. combined) was excellent, as there is very little throttle pedal movement required now to accelerate, it will take a while to get used to, as others have stated. Where I used to near3/4 mash to floor to accelerate with trailer on from a standstill, I do that now and I have unbelievable takeoff power. If I feather throttle to about a 1/4 of pedal now, I still get fantastic takeoff, but with less smoke, and feels like it's much easier on tranny. By rolling into throttle gently, it seems to be the best way to drive it. Hiway cruising without cruise control on, is also best driven by lightly feathering throttle, instead of old way pushing more and more to maintain same speed up hills with trailer on.

With cruise on I did notice the surging of c.c. more than before(constant up and down). I will have to partially block vacuum line to c.c. to minimize this surging. Again truck/trailer combo seems to be able to respond quicker to hills with c.c. on, than previously, and with less fuss. I tried towing with my Van AAken chip installed(return trip took off), and it was better than just MAD ECM alone. Engine also is not as noisy now as before especially at idle. Mileage seems to be about the same as before about 14 1/2 mpg pulling(hand calculated). Bob Wagner said gain would be minimal if any increase with chip on, but I could notice a lot more than 3-5hp gain stated. I should have Mach 1.6's end of this week, and h.p. tranny the following week, and will update again impressions of this combo.

Overall I like the near instant response at any speed, and faster acceleration throughout. With my combo now, smoke never is an issue except at fast takeoff, cruising at any speed never noticed any more smoke than before MAD ECM. Now with trailer back off, it just seems even more wild.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Just checked for codes on odometer readout, shows P1693. Went to garage and got scanner and checked for related codes, P0602 Control Module Programming error shows up. I would guess it is a common code that shows up on all Catcher ECM's, and simply shows that it has determined that ECM is out of it's program range. Cleared code, but comes back as soon as engine is running. Truck runs fantastic other than this code showing up. . Maybe someone will chime in if they are also "CATCHERIZED"
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM

As I understand it the 1693 is there anytime you have another code. I also have the 602 and per Bob Wagner it is caused by the MAD and is nothing to worry about.

My CC seems to work well - it is not surging or going up and down as Torque is reporting.

Good luck,

George
Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM

im confused...

i thought the CaTCHER was Marco's and MAD ECM was Advanced Diesel Technology's MAD ECM ???
or has my 24 valve knowledge been run out by the 12 valves i now drive??? dang computer mumbo jumbo
Old 07-19-2005, 07:13 PM

Marco's "CaTCHER" is the same as the MAD ECM listed on ADT's website.
That code was on mine from day one, no issues at all since I think February.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob, I got your newfangled Catcher thingamajig in--- see my post elsewhere in this forum. Was I supposed to get a "special"? I thought that was for the guys with Comps?

Well, timing or no timing, this things is pretty cool. Partly on its own merit, partly because I get to open up the M4s for the first time
Old 07-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

I was curious if anyone else has tried Edge EZ, Power Puck or Van AAken on the standard version of CATCHER(my setup), and what results they noticed, better/worse/no difference? What about fuel mileage? It seems I'm always on the go pedal now (hard to restrain), yet mileage doesn't seem any different than before. Will hand calculate mileage after fill up and report results.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Talking

I installed the cather ecm last week. I towed the horse trailer with living area and four horses this last weekend. The truck is a absolute blast to drive empty! The throttle response is awesome! Towing with the MAD ecm is exactly what I was looking for, it gets the load moving and keeps it going. You have to get used to feathering the go pedal or else it makes smoke and noise but not much power, but once you get used to it, Hang on! There is a slight learning curve to get use to. I haven't checked milage yet (can't stay out of the go pedal!) but it appears to be about the same as with the D-Box. The truck pulls much stronger from the bottom all the way up, with no hard hit, it just pulls. The turbo really spools fast, but I noticed the egt's seem about 100 to 150 degrees cooler when towing which I really like. I would like to thank Bob Wagner and Marco for setting me up with the ecm, Goerand Bros. for the Trans. and triple disk, and Rip Rook and Don M for the injectors. I have finally got my truck the way I want! I now have the D-Box for sale in the classifieds.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want a mad who do i talk to are there diff.ones ? for HOs? with banks big hoss?
I have to have one PLEASE
Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 PM

http://www.wagnerandassociates.biz/ Bob will hook you up!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Or go straight to the source - Doug.

http://www.smokindiesel.com/dodge/24_valve/mad_ecm.htm

Not affiliated - just a satisfied customer.

Steve
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM

I deal directly withe Marco on a daily basis. Marco is on vacation for 3 weeks.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM

I read somewhere that you can test drive one ? or try it?
and if i install 275RVs will the smoke be controlable? and how big of injectors can i run and still tow safe with my 2001 HO 6spd?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can tow with any injector, it depends on the turbo(s) you have.

Assuming you have the stock turbo, stick to a Mach 1.6 (90hp or so) or smaller.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:15 AM

the mach 1.6? 90 over 245hp?and my turbo is stock

Quick Reply: CATCHER is in, first impressions.