Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

CATCHER is in, first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CATCHER is in, first impressions.

Installed CATCHER ECM last night, took VanAAken off prior to install to accurately compare. I would say it ran faster with MAD ECM on, than just VanAAken 60hp box(had on since new 5+ years), with much faster takeoff(and initial smoke only), and overall way better throttle response. Re-installed box and out for a twist again on freeway and city driving ,NOW that's more like it . Takeoff from standstill produces BIG puff of smoke if floored, and dual blackmarks for 30-40 ft , acceleration continues on briskly right to redline. Third gear lockup(and 4th) on hiway is also WAY better right to redline, and much better passing power. It now seems that you don't need to push throttle very much, to get what used to be floored response prior to install. Little HY Turbo sures spools up instantly , and just keeps pulling. We are going camping within a few hours for weekend, pulling travel trailer(in sig), and will post towing impressions on Monday. DON M's MACH 1.6 injectors, turbo, and H.P. Tranny(with triple disk) to be installed in next 1-2 weeks(time permitting)
Old 07-15-2005, 07:08 PM

Welcome to the MAD club, life is great on this side of the fence

J
Old 07-16-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't wait too long on doing your tranny. The MAD ECM will have it slipping in no time.

The MAD ECM is great...but appears to be very aggressive on the timing. With Mach 4's and stacked on my TST PM3 I find it's too aggressive...I get delayed spoolup and poor acceration at WOT, unless I roll into it very slowly. I don't know if it's the PM3, or the Mach 4's...or just both together with the MAD ECM...but I get pre boost over fueling that almost kills my engine.

I just finished testing with EZ stacked on my PM3 and find it quicker to handle WOT on my set up....but for small (stock) to medium injectors...and no box...the Mad ECM can't be beat!

RJ
Old 07-16-2005, 06:31 PM

what's the mad ecm cost?? are all you guys running chips (boxes) with the mad ecm?

-Ryan
Old 07-16-2005, 07:17 PM

hey you rjohnson I have had the same thing but passed it off as my failing vp 44 but it is replaced know and I want to put a few miles on before the comp gets hooked up again. My truck will nearly buck if my foot is all the way down in 2nd gear and somtimes third but once she gets going holly cow hooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllldddddddddddddd d on! Have you mentioned this to Marco?

Jason
Old 07-17-2005, 11:50 AM

Jason

I did not realize it was Timing till short time ago. You are the first with a Comp Box and MAD ECM that has reported this situation. With no timing in the MAD ECM I would think you would be ok. I know one other with a TST that has the same problem with too much fuel at pre boost.
Marco is aware of this situation. Bob Wagner offered to sell me back a stock ECM...which is all I could ask. I don't think the higher HP trucks are his real market...most buy the MAD ECM to avoid tapping the wire, which makes a lot of sense to me for 350 - 400 hp. We tried my mad ECM in an 01, 5-speed with Mach 2's. It screamed! Much more low RPM power than an EZ.

As I said before, the only time I saw the problem was at the drag strip...leaving the line....slow motion spool up and rough running for 4-5 sec after spoolup. I did get more smoke than I like when at gross weight...but that can be controlled.

I will be dynoing this weekend to see if there is any difference with EZ/PM3/Mach 4's vs MAD ECM/PM3/Mach 4's. Would not expect any on top end, since neither adds fuel.

RJ
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by greenwing
what's the mad ecm cost?? are all you guys running chips (boxes) with the mad ecm?
-Ryan
Costs about the same as an EZ Box from Edge...if you send in your ECM as a core exchange. For details, contact Bob Wagner... http://www.wagnerandassociates.biz/

RJ
Old 07-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Over all I really like the MAD, it has made the truck much more responsive at low end. Most of my experience is near sea level at +/- 500ft, but up to about 2000ft elevation for grades etc.

I leave the TST off practically all of the time.

With the EDM 2s there is smoke anytime you want it. Tapping the throtle at idle will send out a small but noticable puff.

I agree that you learn to roll into it slowly. Between shifts unloaded smoke is somewhat easy to control, but with any kind of load it becomes more difficult. Keeping the boost at 10 or above helps but loaded between shifts there is always some smoke so for towing I am considering putting my RV275s back in.

Put the TST on 9 and you can put down alot of smoke if you don't wait for the boost to come up and by that time you are shifting or going way to fast.

I have not seen the slow spool up or almost quenching of the fire that Rjohnson has, but then again I only have edm 2s.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:15 PM

So how much is a MAD ECM without a core exchange. I want to keep my factory ecm for trips to the dealer. I still have 30,000 miles on my engine warranty.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:03 PM

With shipping, a bit over 8 bones
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 PM

WOW!!!!! So I'm assuming most of you guys with the MAD don't have a stock ECM. Maybe I should just wait til my warranty is up to get a MAD, so I don't have to worry about DC blaming something on the MAD like we all know they will.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by rjohnson
Don't wait too long on doing your tranny. The MAD ECM will have it slipping in no time.

The MAD ECM is great...but appears to be very aggressive on the timing. With Mach 4's and stacked on my TST PM3 I find it's too aggressive...I get delayed spoolup and poor acceration at WOT, unless I roll into it very slowly. I don't know if it's the PM3, or the Mach 4's...or just both together with the MAD ECM...but I get pre boost over fueling that almost kills my engine.

I just finished testing with EZ stacked on my PM3 and find it quicker to handle WOT on my set up....but for small (stock) to medium injectors...and no box...the Mad ECM can't be beat!

RJ
This is interesting. Bob really loves the combination of M4s and Catcher. I'm curious as to how it will perform on my truck. I wonder what role the different stock timing of the HO vs the SO plays?

All other things being equal, the HO can handle more timing because of its higher compression.

In my case, this is partially offset by the fact that I live at higher elevation (6K).

In other posts I've read on the ECM, I've seen Marco mention that you can't just bury the pedal with the Catcher, you have to use the pedal to ride the line of max fuel versus too much fuel. You can easily get too much with a large injector.

From what I gather, if you just mash the thin pedal, you can almost put out the fire with a larger injector.

I'll be testing a Catcher with my M4s this week (it's supposed to get here soon). Results should be interesting, in light of me having an HO truck at altitude.

I'll post my results when I have something to report.

Justin
Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
justin, if the catcher is not there tomorrow, please advise. thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Ben

I also put mine in the other day.

An excellent improvement over the ez. Cruise control works great and driveability is awesome.

Power is there if you want it or not. Smoke is there if you want it or not.

It definitely is a tailgaters worst nitemare. Being able to let out a healthy burst at the snap of the throttle, no matter what the r's.

The truck just runs much much better. Even sounds better idleing. Really runs through the gears nice. Pulling strong off idle to redline is much better than the "hit" the ez would give you at 1800-2000 rpm.

I am hold off on towing with it due to the volcanic quality of the MTL in my tranny right now.
But, that should be an improvement also.

Installment was easy. If you have a Fass I, installation would be a snap.

Even with my weenie sticks it seems like a whole new truck. I can't wait to go bigger...

I highly recommend the CaTCHER.....

Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Wagner
justin, if the catcher is not there tomorrow, please advise. thanks

Will do. Thanks again for the chance to test.

jlh

Quick Reply: CATCHER is in, first impressions.