Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Catcher and Comp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel mileage abd Catcher..

Every coin has two faces...
Face one of the CaTCHER. The major improvement in the low Rpm band allows for the use of right that band; more than you could with stock settings or add on boxes. Then more efficient the engine in the low-midlle Rpm / torque band than better the mileage in the real world. If I say "IF" you can keep your right foot outta it, you can get a significant MPG increase.

Face two. You can't keep your foot outta it. Best case the MPG remains the same. If you want to be always the first one @ the traffic light's, well you can also get much worse MPG with the CaTCHER....

I've been very seldom able to keep the driving habbits within reasonable levels. The few times I did MPG #'s were about 2.5 better than the best I ever got with a stock ECM.

To come to an end. Speed costs money, how fast.... do you want to fill up?

Marco
Old 04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

For those of us new to the Catcher/Mad ECM discussion Can you tell me more about it. I have searched and found threads talking about the results but nothing telling just what exactly it is and entails for install and use.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

The Catcher is a completely reprogrammed ECM. It takes away the low end defueling set from the factory for emissions and takes away the 2700 rpm defueling. The install is very simple. Remove the fuel filter canister, unplug the electrical connections from the factory one, remove the bolts holding it in, replace with the new one. It's located right underneath the fuel filter canister. You can ship yours off and wait or you can do an exchange.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
You can ship yours off and wait or you can do an exchange.
Or you can just buy a new one, then keep your OEM one around for those pesky emissions tests,
if your state has them, or more likely, when your state has them.

phox
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

If it changes factory emissions will this be a problem for inspection stations that seem to be getting more frequent. Since nothing I'v ever found is all good what are the significant drawbacks to this. Excuse me while I try to talk myself out of spending more money.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

Do it. You know you want to. Emissions? What are emissions? If you can find an ECM cheap enough, then I'd buy it and have it shipped off and keep your factory one for emissions. Otherwise, screw it.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

I've never priced an ECM, what is the core charge, so to speak on these. And is it just as simple as plug and ply the way it sounds.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Core Charge = $250.00...Core refund was very prompt...mailed same day!
It's as simple as it gets...working on an engine with other stuff in the way. 1 hr max!
No down side or trade off I can see...other than the expense. I'm not convinced emissions testing would be a problem.
RJ
Old 04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If it will pump out black smoke when you punch it, I can tell you it would definitely be a problem for the 10,000 lb GVWR and over emissions test here.....if you are under the 10,000 lb GVWR it is merely a "visual" inspection of emissions related components and that is it. I know emissions testing procedures vary widely all over North America so what applies to one part of the country doesn't apply to another part. This is the one thing that is steering me away from the MAD - I can't adjust it or disengage when I need to....I would have to replace the ECM....I REALLY want one, but unfortunatly for me, it looks like I may have to settle for a Comp.....I'm going to see if the emissions tester will just "slip" me into the under 10,000 lb GVWR test......if he will, I'm getting a MAD!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

So now that we've come this far who is the vendor for these. If it spools up this fast in the lower band, seems to me it be a compliment to a bigger turbo, or am I on the wrong track here.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:56 AM

Numerous post about the ECM on just about every diesel board. Almost all questions have been answered. I don't mean to flame, but random "who makes these questions" can be answered by searching the board. Leaving members available to answer new questions. I did lots and lots of research before I made the decision to purchase. You can even google MAD ECM and get answers. C'mon guys apply some effort and let Marco and Bob keep busy shipping these things.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The MAD ECM vendor is Smokin' Diesel
Old 04-14-2005, 12:51 PM

It works great with a larger turbo that was my primary reason for purchase. It helps spool my charger for towing as the Sledpuller 66 wasn't wanting to spool very quick while in the hills. Now it spools as quick or quicker than my HTB2 I previously had. On hills that the truck would see 0 boost at 60 mph with the sledpuller and the comp on 3X3 I now see 10 psi or more with the comp off and that's driving at a steady rate not increasing the throttle any on my part. I See less smoke now that I've figured out how to drive with it since it brings in boost much quicker than I was getting before. But it's very crucial to learn how to manipulate the throttle just right when you first take off to get the boost on the way up. Small chargers probably don't have this issue anyway. Of course if there happens to be an annoying ricer behind you a quick mash of the throttle instead of easing into it will leave him searching for his headlight switch if you have a heavily fueled truck.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Bob Wagner also carries the ECMs #888-225-7637