Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

carter aftermarket lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the BD kit in myself and it seems to work pretty well. Stock idle was 13/14 now it's 25/26. Cruising it's 20 as opposed to 8-10. Once in a while I can drag it down to 4 and set my alarm off but that's only in the hot mode on my attitude. I could do it on all of the power levels before that, so I'm happy.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
I should have went for the walbro pump setup.. it would have been a little cheaper.. I like the design of the walbro pump a little better.. I don't know what type of pump it is.. vane.. G-Rotor... Its going to be two week before I get the pump..
Bryan
Walbro's are gerotor pumps. If I get some free time over the weekend I'll open one up and try to post some pictures.

Richard
Old 05-19-2006, 10:16 PM

I have done the pusher pump deal, and the Holley blue deal, now I have a vulcan kit with the stock lp. So far it has been great! and only one pump! I don't think you can go wrong with a big line kit, smarty or vulcan. It seems to be a better, easier fix! You will not be dissapointed. My pressure never goes below 11psi!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsyman
Walbro's are gerotor pumps. If I get some free time over the weekend I'll open one up and try to post some pictures.

Richard
Thanks Richard.. I really haven't looked.. but there might be some pics up on the http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95 site.. as they have an entire furom for this setup...
I'll be interested to see the inside.. but I got a good idea what it looks like... other things I'm interested in.. about the Walbro pump.. is it brushless, and was pretty sure the motor was cooled by fuel...
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 05-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDGnut
I should have went for the walbro pump setup.. it would have been a little cheaper.. I like the design of the walbro pump a little better.. I don't know what type of pump it is.. vane.. G-Rotor... Its going to be two week before I get the pump..
Bryan

I will probably get hammered for this again, but...... I calibrated a rotometer at work for diesel and put it inline with my Holley blue. At 12 psi i am getting a little under 85 gph all of which is going through the VP. I do not have a carter to check this on but I had a cummins tech tell me that the factory pump flowed around 90 gph. The Walbro flows a total of 255 lph or 67 gph by the rating, I have also not actually checked one. This flow is split across the VP and around it by the regulator. If the cooling from fuel flow is as critical as some say then this is not a good thing. The cooling from fuel flow may not be as important as good pressure and if so the Walbro will be great. I personnaly would rather have both. I guess I need to break down and buy a FASS but I am too cheap.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Matt,

I don't see why you would get hammered. That's great information. I have two questions though.

1) What is the voltage at the battery on the 2nd gens? Mine is long gone and I don't have any of my old notes covering this. Voltage directly affects the output of the Walbro pumps as you can see by the charts on my site.

2) If the VP is gulping all that fuel then why aren't the test trucks with the Walbro pumps pulling the pressure at the VP down to zero? Russell (Solid Steel) has two test trucks running the 392 and both hold 15+ at WOT.

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative. Just trying to brush back up on the 2nd gen requirements. I've been away from them for a while.

Richard
Old 05-20-2006, 12:16 PM

I will check the voltage later today. I don't have a Walbro setup so I haven't checked all the flows and pressures, but my understanding is that the Walbro delivers a higher pressure to the regulator mounted close to the VP and excess pressure/fuel is routed around the VP to the return line. As the VP demands more fuel, the regulator opens up and keeps the pressure stable. I have read that a 3/8" bypass line around the VP works in place of a regulator and is more dynamic, but again I haven't tried it.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsyman
Matt,

I don't see why you would get hammered. That's great information. I have two questions though.

1) What is the voltage at the battery on the 2nd gens? Mine is long gone and I don't have any of my old notes covering this. Voltage directly affects the output of the Walbro pumps as you can see by the charts on my site.

2) If the VP is gulping all that fuel then why aren't the test trucks with the Walbro pumps pulling the pressure at the VP down to zero? Russell (Solid Steel) has two test trucks running the 392 and both hold 15+ at WOT.

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative. Just trying to brush back up on the 2nd gen requirements. I've been away from them for a while.

Richard
I just checked the voltage at the battery terminals. At idle my gauge custer reads just under 14 volts and my Fluke reads 13.9x volts. At highway speeds the gauge cluster still reads just under 14 volts. I did not check with the Fluke at highway speeds. I have around a 0.35 volt drop to my pump at rated amps.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Good to know. Thanks a bunch for the follow-up. I'll add that to my notes.