Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can a performance box cause damage to the VP44??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
DRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
Is that from the box I sold you, or your old edge box? If the former, that box is a curse!
It was from my old comp box. After the first failure I went with an EZ for a while but wanted more power and the ability to turn it off.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by groceryjunkie
fuel pressure never has been below 18psi
This could be part of the problem too imho.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Man you guys can scare a new owner! I am looking to install an edge box on my 01 for a bit more pull on the hills, but you got me very nervous. Is it not a wise move? the truck has 203k miles on it. Just replaced the lower fuel pump a month ago. I dont want to set myself up for another stranded week-end.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
This could be part of the problem too imho.
x2 i dont like anything over 16......14-16 and ive had good luck out of this vp knock on wood
Old 07-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quart of Walmart 2 cycle oil per fillup adds some lube and may increase the lifespan of an overworked pump.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 AM

dont run ATF ive heard, something about the detergents will clean the pump and cause failure......but that said at work we have ISB's with 5k+ hrs on them with atf added to every tank and the fliters filled with atf

ive been runnin ashelss super tech 2 cycle oil at around 100:1 ratio(give or take) i know it quiets the p-pump down in the ol 12v...

also heard about running used motor oil, maby in the old mech pumps but i would stay away from it in the vp
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by dsl kicks gas
dont run ATF ive heard, something about the detergents will clean the pump and cause failure......but that said at work we have ISB's with 5k+ hrs on them with atf added to every tank and the fliters filled with atf

ive been runnin ashelss super tech 2 cycle oil at around 100:1 ratio(give or take) i know it quiets the p-pump down in the ol 12v...

also heard about running used motor oil, maby in the old mech pumps but i would stay away from it in the vp
Used motor oil "should" be ok, but you gotta be careful about where it comes from. I only burn the used oil from mine and my fathers truck, both of which have oil analysis done every tank so I feel pretty comfortable knowing that the oil was "good". Biggest thing you gotta worry about with that is making sure it's filtered.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tate
Is that from the box I sold you, or your old edge box? If the former, that box is a curse!
Some comp boxes with certin serial numbers are harder on pumps than others
Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by groceryjunkie
So what is a better replacement pump for the VP44 or do you or the Cummins rep know????
Dont know if its any better - but if you get a VP-44 from Rip Rook at www.sourceautomotive.biz he WILL warranty them WITH a pierced wire. Dont bother with the dealer.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Dont know if its any better - but if you get a VP-44 from Rip Rook at www.sourceautomotive.biz he WILL warranty them WITH a pierced wire. Dont bother with the dealer.
you are a life saver, i will be buying from them.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM

okay what i was told by boosting the pressure in the fuel lines going to the injectors and not having bigger injectors it can hurt your pump so with that being said it has no where to go but back into the pump. So pick your poison. Trust me i know and the wire was not tapped on my pump and they will on warranty the pump after three week and about 1000 mile it locked up so it is your call.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mahdey
you are a life saver, i will be buying from them.
I think you have to let him know when you buy it - make sure you mention it.

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/inde...d=75&Itemid=25
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
DRD

Originally Posted by LITTLE_BIG_ME
okay what i was told by boosting the pressure in the fuel lines going to the injectors and not having bigger injectors it can hurt your pump so with that being said it has no where to go but back into the pump. So pick your poison. Trust me i know and the wire was not tapped on my pump and they will on warranty the pump after three week and about 1000 mile it locked up so it is your call.
I don't think you are boosting the pressure in the injection lines with a box, pressure will be controlled by pop off pressure of the injectors themselves. A fueling box will make a longer injection though.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 PM

well my pump has been through alot but the first drive with a wire tape has seemed to pull codes and a rare form of dead pedal so i would say it killed my pump.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markman
Man you guys can scare a new owner! I am looking to install an edge box on my 01 for a bit more pull on the hills, but you got me very nervous. Is it not a wise move? the truck has 203k miles on it. Just replaced the lower fuel pump a month ago. I dont want to set myself up for another stranded week-end.
I would not worry too much if I were you. VP-44 can fail without any boxes (mine did) and it may last with a box. If you are getting one for towing it will not be very aggressive so VP-44 will not be taxed too much, or your EGTs will be through the roof.
BTW, do you have fuel pressure and EGT gauges?
-P

Quick Reply: Can a performance box cause damage to the VP44??