Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can a performance box cause damage to the VP44??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can a performance box cause damage to the VP44??

The dealership says the edge box caused my VP44 to go out, is this true?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you pierce the blue wire?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, even if you didn't pierce the wire, you installed a power enhancing device and the dealer knows of it. You are now at their mercy.

Performance boxes that connect to the VP44 *DO* tax the pump greater than stock operation does-- there can be no debate on that. Is it within the design limits of the pump? Perhaps. But Dodge doesn't warranty the full operating range of the VP-- just the part of it that is used in the factory programming.

So technically, ANY power mod, whether it's an ECM programmer, and Can-bus box, or a wire tap box can justifiably void your warranty.

The VP44 isn't quite the gem of performance and durability anyway. In fact, I was in a meeting today with a prominent guy at Cummins Fuel Systems and who mentioned the VP44 as the butt of a joke. I was the only one that got it.

So even under perfect conditions of super clean, cool, fuel with good lubricity, the VP would STILL be less than bulletproof.

JH
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Did you pierce the blue wire?
Ditto. Better yet, whats your fuel pressure? Either way, warranty is voided and you have no leg to stand on.

Shawn
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Ditto. Better yet, whats your fuel pressure? Either way, warranty is voided and you have no leg to stand on.

Shawn
I wouldn't go that far. He might not get a warranty replacement vp44, but that doesn't mean his warranty is voided.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17

Shawn
Ever since the FASS pump fuel pressure never has been below 18psi
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Wouldn't it be great if a company designed an all new electronically controlled injection pump for are trucks that would bolt right in and work on the factory programming, but with with reliability and maybe a chance for higher preformance than a vp.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Of course a wire was pierced but I have never done anything more than some mild "Horsing around" on the street and there is probably not more than 20K miles on this pump.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Well, even if you didn't pierce the wire, you installed a power enhancing device and the dealer knows of it. You are now at their mercy.

Performance boxes that connect to the VP44 *DO* tax the pump greater than stock operation does-- there can be no debate on that. Is it within the design limits of the pump? Perhaps. But Dodge doesn't warranty the full operating range of the VP-- just the part of it that is used in the factory programming.

So technically, ANY power mod, whether it's an ECM programmer, and Can-bus box, or a wire tap box can justifiably void your warranty.

The VP44 isn't quite the gem of performance and durability anyway. In fact, I was in a meeting today with a prominent guy at Cummins Fuel Systems and who mentioned the VP44 as the butt of a joke. I was the only one that got it.

So even under perfect conditions of super clean, cool, fuel with good lubricity, the VP would STILL be less than bulletproof.

JH
So what is a better replacement pump for the VP44 or do you or the Cummins rep know????
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 AM

There isn't one, well you can p-pump it. I think it'd be great to come up with somethin new that is still electronic.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly the best VP-44 comes from Blue Chip diesel.
They certainly have to be tops in customer service!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 AM
DRD

Originally Posted by groceryjunkie
Of course a wire was pierced but I have never done anything more than some mild "Horsing around" on the street and there is probably not more than 20K miles on this pump.
My first pump failed on the first 5x5 pull. Even now I've only made a couple of level 5 pulls, just short blasts. Once camping season is done I'll probably flog it harder when I have the time to have the truck down waiting for a pump.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRD
My first pump failed on the first 5x5 pull.
Mine did the same. Its generally accepted that the earlier pumps were weaker than the later models hence the 027 pumps with the 27 upgrades.
My second one ( brand new 027 pump) went about 7000kms then I put a wrecker special on and sold the truck to buy a 12v. Its been years since I played with them but at the time there was rumor that the aggressive timing of the comp was the issue more than with other options. It seemed that guys that ran a fueling only box stacked with a milder EZ for timing had less failures however there was no real definitive answer at the time.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DRD
My first pump failed on the first 5x5 pull. Even now I've only made a couple of level 5 pulls, just short blasts. Once camping season is done I'll probably flog it harder when I have the time to have the truck down waiting for a pump.
Is that from the box I sold you, or your old edge box? If the former, that box is a curse!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by groceryjunkie
The dealership says the edge box caused my VP44 to go out, is this true?
no way to know if the edge is the reason your pump failed but there is no debating that performance enhancing mods, especially ones that tap into the fuel solenoid wire on the VP44 will decrease it's life span. Just because you have a FASS with proper pressure, which I also have, doesn't mean you won't ever have a VP44 problem. One thing everyone can be sure of, the VP44 was a stop gap for emissions purposes only.

and the wire isn't blue, not sure where people are getting that.

Quick Reply: Can a performance box cause damage to the VP44??