Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can Edge EZ cause damage to ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Edge EZ cause damage to ECM?

I have heard from several sources that all chips including the Edge EZ module can over time cause damage to the engine computer. Does anyone out there have experience with this? Should I be concerned enough to pull my EZ off. My truck had it installed when I bought it and I have not had any problems other than lift pump issues which I solved by installing the FASS 150. A friend of mine has his truck in the shop right now and they told him to get the EZ out and leave it out.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Since the Edge EZ is electrically connected to the ECM it could conceivably damage it if the EZ was poorly engineered or failed. However, if the ECM itself is properly engineered, it should be internally protected against out of tolerance input and ouput lines.

I have no way of knowing if that is actually the case.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:20 PM

I've never really heard of something like that. All the EZ is doing is modifying the signals going to the ecu.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 PM
The Guru

I doubt it that it could kill the ecm. If you had a bad grounding issue in the chip you might overload the ecm but thats remote chance. Remember the ecm powers up the lift pump and there are fuses that limit amperage draws. I bet there are more issues from excessive heat and vibration than anything else. The ecm is bolted to the block by the lift pump. Remember these engine vibrate pretty good and get put out lots of heat.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM

You'll be fine with the EZ, don't worry about it.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Of all the threads I have read (not saying that I've been at it long) I have NEVER read a single post about an EZ causing a faulty ECM... but I have read that the Diablo puck's case would come apart and it would result in a no start condition but as soon as it was removed the truck was fine.
I have read a couple of posts that said they had a bad ECM, but I dont remember if they had any moduals hooked to their trucks.I think it was a programmer issue
I would think if there was an underlying issue there would be lots of posts and warnings not to do it.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
The Guru

ECM aren't that much money anyways considering whats its worth to fix everything else that goes wrong with the truck. Beats buying a new rig though.

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 AM

EDGE EZ Failure

I have some real time problems with my EDGE EZ Module that may relate to this string.

It all started with a "dead pedal" and we ended up on the side of the road. The check engine light came on and the 1689 / 1683 codes were thrown
( communications lost between ECM & IP ). After cool-down it ran ok for a few days. The check engine light went off after restart and I cleared the codes at autozone. Fuel pressure was and is fine per gauge.

Then it happened again as a "sputter" / "shutter" but no codes were thrown. This happened maybe 2 or 3 times in a week. I then removed the EZ and drove it a week, no problems. I then installed the EZ again and after a day got a "sputter" / "shutter" and lost the EZ Power (it was like the chip was gone). Turned off the truck and started again and ran fine. Next day got a dead pedal again and ended up on the side of the road. Took chip off and called EDGE tech support. They said send it back and they would repair it.
By the way my module is almost 5 years old. Module was sent to them 3-11-08.

So clearly the EDGE and other modules can give you codes that suggest IP or ECM problems.

I will post the results of my EDGE EZ module return & repair by EDGE PRODUCTS. I think they are a pretty good company.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM

So clearly the EDGE and other modules can give you codes that suggest IP or ECM problems.
But it didn't damage either one of them. The EZ was only misreading parameters which in turn made the truck run goofy by sending the ECM misinformation.
The EZ only modifies info going to the ECM, it does not change anyting like a programmer does. A programmer is just that, it reprograms. The EZ only modifies the signal going to the ECM.

I'm know expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
The Guru

I'll bet that you have a grounding issue. I'm supprised that you got an 1693 code. When my ecm died, everything went. No gauges, the truck would hardly run. I'm pretty sure that my ecm was got fried from my fass as I hooked it up intially to the ecm just like the stock liftpump was. It blew a few fuses and the truck never ran right after that, until the ecm failed completely. The grounding issue is a common problem. You could try abit of sand paper and clean the metal up at the base of module and the engine block. This is what my local cummin shop told me. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by hink
But it didn't damage either one of them. The EZ was only misreading parameters which in turn made the truck run goofy by sending the ECM misinformation.
The EZ only modifies info going to the ECM, it does not change anyting like a programmer does. A programmer is just that, it reprograms. The EZ only modifies the signal going to the ECM.

I'm know expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
With that said, with a programmer like a smarty, could ECM damage be possible?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 PM

I had a ez that started to fail which caused the truck to run powerly however after unplugging ez truck ran fine. Truck runs fine with new chip.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys, I am not going to worry about it. If the truck ever has problems I will unplug the EZ first to see if that is whats wrong.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by nike
With that said, with a programmer like a smarty, could ECM damage be possible?
I honestly don't know, I've never had any experiences with the Smarty.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Damage to the ECM is always a possibility with a programmer. The most likely case is a failed or partial overwrite which renders the ECM inoperable. But the manufacturers of the programmer generally include safeguards to be able to recover from a failed download. I know the Smarty has safeties built in, but there is always a possibility.