Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can a Dealership detect a box is removed(VP44 failure)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Yup!
The older I get...the more I realize that upfront honesty works best.

I talked to my dealer up front about what I planned to do. He said he would work with me on warranty items...when ever possible. As long as we're not screwing Dodge, him, or me....he has bent over backwards to help me when needed.

Admitedly...this is probably a lot easier with a small town dealer, but, so far so good. I would not ask for coverage on a VP-44...but we discussed it and he will give me jobber (repair shop) price on one, if needed.

RJ
That there seems like the best thing to do...but we have a small town dealer here too, not really a problem unless they find out it's a blatant act!!

Chris
Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, i think im gonna go with the comp in EZ mode for a while, i got 20K left on the warranty(small town dealership) and tap the wire after that.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 PM

"On the other hand my brothers truck (2001 ETH) started having dead pedal the other day. Took it into a local Dallas Dodge dealer and they told him the VP44 and LP were going out and that it would not be covered under warranty. He's only at 92k miles and has never tapped the pump. The kicker was the service advisor told him the VP44 and LP were not covered b/c they are not part of the engine...I thought that was funny...Guess the exhaust manifold isn't part of it either... Go figure."

thats total dealer BS.. i used to work for a local dealer so i know thats not true. the lift pump wont be covered but the injector pump definatly is. i recently had a customer (i own a repair shop now) that had lost the LP which was not covered so we replaced it for him but a few weeks later the vp44 started spiting out codes so i sent him to the local dodge dealer, first they tried to tell him it was not covered, then they told him they would get the part covered but not the labor. (he truck is an 02 with 90k on it) i told him to call the mopar main number and they got it fixed for him. the dealer told DC that they were just joking with the guy when they siad he would have to pay. ( i don't believe this personally) anyhow tell your brother to call the mopar main number and talk to some one there because he seems to be getting ripped off.even if the truck is out of warrenty by time i have seen them replace entire engines and transmisions for a $100.00 dedectable.
i think the key to the warrenty writing is the internally lubricated clause the gear on the vp44 touches oil. good luck!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JEEPFLEXIN
"On the other hand my brothers truck (2001 ETH) started having dead pedal the other day. Took it into a local Dallas Dodge dealer and they told him the VP44 and LP were going out and that it would not be covered under warranty. He's only at 92k miles and has never tapped the pump. The kicker was the service advisor told him the VP44 and LP were not covered b/c they are not part of the engine...I thought that was funny...Guess the exhaust manifold isn't part of it either... Go figure."

thats total dealer BS.. i used to work for a local dealer so i know thats not true. the lift pump wont be covered but the injector pump definatly is. i recently had a customer (i own a repair shop now) that had lost the LP which was not covered so we replaced it for him but a few weeks later the vp44 started spiting out codes so i sent him to the local dodge dealer, first they tried to tell him it was not covered, then they told him they would get the part covered but not the labor. (he truck is an 02 with 90k on it) i told him to call the mopar main number and they got it fixed for him. the dealer told DC that they were just joking with the guy when they siad he would have to pay. ( i don't believe this personally) anyhow tell your brother to call the mopar main number and talk to some one there because he seems to be getting ripped off.even if the truck is out of warrenty by time i have seen them replace entire engines and transmisions for a $100.00 dedectable.
i think the key to the warrenty writing is the internally lubricated clause the gear on the vp44 touches oil. good luck!
...and I'll "total BS" YOU'RE "total BS".....lift pump is covered under the cummins warranty. Only thing you may want to see is EXACTLY when the trucks warranty expires. Quite a few 01's were introduced really early and they go by the in service date.