Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can a Dealership detect a box is removed(VP44 failure)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a Dealership detect a box is removed(VP44 failure)

If my VP44 goes, and I remove the comp or Dr.P stage III, can they detect it and not replace my IP. I have 20K left on the warranty. I know the Dr.P rep is not real good but.....OK i still dont know. Can the stock 5spd clutch handle 340hp? Thats all I want.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 AM

I think if you remove all evidence of the extras and don't say anything about it you should be okay. I haven't heard where someone removed all evidence and the dealer still wouldn't touch it.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:09 AM

if the wire isn't tapped then you should be fine just removing everything.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you tap the wire you'll more than likely be SOL. The computer can tell if the pickup has been operating out of it's factory range. Techs were taught long ago to look for signs of wire tap boxes. They'll even go as far as to remove the pump plate cover. If you want a comp buy it, dont tap the wire and run it in ez mode until you're out of warranty.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:36 AM

Like others said, if you tapped the wire, forget it !

As well, even if your wire isnt tapped and the dealer wants to make a point of it, they will know you had a fuelling box on your truck. You better say a little prayer.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM

the computer loggs boost and timing for the last 40 miles so just hope they never get off there lazy *** and check it.......
Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Part of the dealer required procedure when replacing a a VP under warranty is to look for evidence of a box. Whether they all do is a different story.
Best advice is if you want to play be prepared to pay.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by storx
the computer loggs boost and timing for the last 40 miles
You can bet its logged for more than 40 miles...where does that come from??
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Banned

I've never heard of specific only last 40 mile trip info being stored either. Any DC techs out there that have used DRBII scan tool, to jump in here with more info on ALL stored parameters, and what memory(if any) remains if totally cleared?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:19 PM

I took my truck in for the P0216 code and dead pedal this past July and I spoke directly with the diesel tech. He was an older tech and pretty sharp. I told him about the pierced wire and he didn't have any issue replacing the VP44. Nice guy wish Dodge had more great tech like him.

On the other hand my brothers truck (2001 ETH) started having dead pedal the other day. Took it into a local Dallas Dodge dealer and they told him the VP44 and LP were going out and that it would not be covered under warranty. He's only at 92k miles and has never tapped the pump. The kicker was the service advisor told him the VP44 and LP were not covered b/c they are not part of the engine...I thought that was funny...Guess the exhaust manifold isn't part of it either... Go figure.

-CM
Old 10-17-2005, 07:36 PM

I took my 01 back becouse of a dead pedal and code 0216, they told me to pull the ez and drive it for about 50 mile to get all the parameters back in order and make sure that DC would pay the warranty. They also are an Edge dealer and will warranty the chip. It works out well
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 PM

I lost my Lp, removed Ez and boost elbow and the dealer replaced the Lp. They told me don't install bigger fuel lines or pusher pump and no wire tapping. So I'll have to wait till warrenty is over to get the fuel system up to snuff!

Gary
Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmckinney
I took my truck in for the P0216 code and dead pedal this past July and I spoke directly with the diesel tech. He was an older tech and pretty sharp. I told him about the pierced wire and he didn't have any issue replacing the VP44. Nice guy wish Dodge had more great tech like him.
-CM
....any chance that "great" tech got an azz chewin or fired over returning the pump with the pierced wire? There is a bulletin in black and white stating that if the core is returned tampered DC will not pay the claim and the submitting dealer will be responsible for the repair. I'm sorry but I'm not going to be the one getting reamed, or worse yet, paying out of pocket, because you jacked the wiring on your pump.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM

There should be a big notice on the home page here that says, IF YOU MODIFY YOUR TRUCK, DON'T ASK ABOUT WARRANTY, BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ONE
Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup!
The older I get...the more I realize that upfront honesty works best.

I talked to my dealer up front about what I planned to do. He said he would work with me on warranty items...when ever possible. As long as we're not screwing Dodge, him, or me....he has bent over backwards to help me when needed.

Admitedly...this is probably a lot easier with a small town dealer, but, so far so good. I would not ask for coverage on a VP-44...but we discussed it and he will give me jobber (repair shop) price on one, if needed.

RJ

Quick Reply: Can a Dealership detect a box is removed(VP44 failure)