Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Camshaft changes.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft changes.. worth it?

I have seen I few references to high performance camshafts. My question is at what level would you want to do a cam change and what increases in power and MPG (if any) would one expect? Also, which vendors/manufactures make them? The soapbox is open...

Darkstar
Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 PM

I had the DD cam ($X, Merrick @ Laredo Diesel Perf) in my '99. Unless you're going
for all out HP (7-800+) I think $1k+ would be much better spent on other
accessories (MAD ECM, etc).

Schied's and Haisley also have cams to consider in the $5-600 range. Enterprise once quoted me a cam in that range as well. The only thing Haisley won't sell you is their billet cams. Patty said they had problems with the billet chewing up the ends of the stock block. That's fixed by a different retainer that needs to be machined in the block. I'd call them all. PM me if you need actual numbers. Best for last...

If I had a truck in the shop, I would wait for a DonM/F1 Diesel cam. Doug posted a link to one of Don's suppliers in another thread. Search for (Performance Diesel Warehouse in PA).

IMO,
brandon.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM

darkstarmedia,

Cams come in all flavors, but all are not equal in quality or improvement. A good cam will help even a stock truck! A cam will not add power like a fueling box or injectors, what it will do is make the truck more driveable. Normal improvements will be lower egt's, better turbo spoolup, broader power bands, and improved mileage.

As mentioned above there are several manufactorers of cams Formula 1, PDR, Scheid, Haisley, EE, Buddah Power are the main players. Most are regrinds (which limits what can be done to the cam) while others are ground from blank stock. Some cams require you to cut your pistons in order to get the valve to piston clearance required,.....

I have personally run a PDR cam and it was a nice improvement over a stock cam. Nothing mindshattering but it did drop egt's about 100*-150*, broadened my powerband by about 250 rpm, and increased mileage by about 1 mpg overall. I will be installing a new Formula 1 cam in my truck this week so I should be able to give you some good data in a few weeks

Doug