Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cam vs twins

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:52 AM
KVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok someone said that boost over 3k would not be good on the stock springs.

So wouldn't someone runnin like TST/smarty Drag comp/stack (anything that pulled past 3k) need valve springs????

How much are just the valve springs?

I mean that just got me thinkin, well I have to pull the valve cover for valve adjustment, it's not that much more to just go and do the springs while im in there if it's needed/make my truck last longer.

I know there are alot of cummins with 200k plus, bombed with the stock springs but if the springs don't cost that much why not????
Old 09-29-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.f1diesel.com is one place you can get springs. I think they were 650.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by KVD
So wouldn't someone runnin like TST/smarty Drag comp/stack (anything that pulled past 3k) need valve springs????

They cost about what a smarty does. I'm begining to think that valve float is one of the reasons that these trucks come with a 2700 rpm defuel.

Thats the thing about bombing: the truck was engineered to run stock so once you start bombing it there are multiple weak links that were perfectly fine stock, that now need to be addressed. That is if you're in it for the long haul and take a comprehensive approach to bombing.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Marine
http://www.f1diesel.com is one place you can get springs. I think they were 650.00 if I remember correctly.
I've seen springs elsewhere for twice that
I'm going for the f-1's
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I've seen springs elsewhere for twice that
I'm going for the f-1's

Sorry for the hijack but it looks like i wont be dynoing this fall Ph4tty, VP44 seems to be packing its bags for a trip south
Old 09-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Got some money saved up and am wantin to do a few things to my truck this winter. Ive already got valve springs, but i would like to go ahead and stud and oring my head, with either a marine or copper head gasket, and throw a new cam in there. Thinkin maybe a helix 2. Im also gonna be going with a bigger charger. I plan on sled pullin quite a bit with this truck. Would the helix 2 be good for me or would a pullin cam from haisley or scheid be better for me?
Personally think that F1 Diesel Helix 2 would be a much better way to go. The Haisley and Scheid cams are just regrinds of the stockers. Don's cams are made not reground. Just my .02
Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
Sorry for the hijack but it looks like i wont be dynoing this fall Ph4tty, VP44 seems to be packing its bags for a trip south
I guess I need to update my sig then =P
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I guess I need to update my sig then =P
ok...why wouldnt you update it? do you think you need to hide something from me?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KVD

I mean that just got me thinkin, well I have to pull the valve cover for valve adjustment, it's not that much more to just go and do the springs while im in there if it's needed/make my truck last longer.

I know there are alot of cummins with 200k plus, bombed with the stock springs but if the springs don't cost that much why not????
With the stock springs and 65psi of boost, I would float the valves at about 2900rpm....

Paul
Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
ok...why wouldnt you update it? do you think you need to hide something from me?
Well I did talk a tiny amount of smack at spring fling so I didn't want all my cards on the table at fall brawl =P Since you made simular power to me last time around and we've both upgraded I've always thought of you as my competition
Old 10-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by KVD

If you do a search, there was a very good thread on valve springs about a week or so ago....Don and Hohn regurgitated their plethora of hidden knowledge all over that one too.....very good read.....

Dont look...just found it....
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM

I am getting my truck back tomorrow evening from Scott at Mass Diesel. I have been without it for a month. I got my DTT tranny rebuilt and i also got a cam installed. I am very excited to get it back with the updates. The tranny has the new updated torque converter and also has an updated valve body, i guess it is different and more stout then the one i had in there. I am realy curious to see what this cam will do for spool up and egts, plus what the engine will sound like now. I am guessing that it will sound more like a 12v. I hope it lives up to the hype of the cams. Cant wait!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Why not really make it sound like a 12v and p-pump it??
Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
I am getting my truck back tomorrow evening from Scott at Mass Diesel. I have been without it for a month. I got my DTT tranny rebuilt and
Problems with tranny? ... Just adding billet shafts? .... or just going with the lattest & greatest? What's the 'skinny' on the new TC?

Heard they have two new TC's.... which one?

RJ
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM

You'll really like the new TC! It is hard to believe the difference.

Paul

Quick Reply: Cam vs twins