Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Calling all cam knowledgeable.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd be amazed at the amount of cams that have walked, stock and aftermarket!
I am running one of Peak Diesel Performance's bolt on gear cams as well as Brad Ponci we both have experienced walk and Piers' and Harry took care of that!
A cam isn't a big gain but in the grand sceme of things every little bit helps, and since you have the engine out I'd say it's a no brainer! Good luck to ya whichever way you go!
BTW: Neither Brad nor myself were running 13mm pumps when we had the gear walk so I would say a 13mm pump could cause it to happen sooner
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Disclaimer:

..... now, IMO - though any aftermarket cam is probably better than the stocker - I would NOT use a ground cam, but rather a new billet.

Those of you who know the difference, understand... those who don't - wouldn't.

I assume you are talking about grinding off surface treatments such as nitriding or carburizing? If this is the case I will have to agree with you, it would make me a bit leary of buying a regrind.

The nitriding or carburizing is a surface treatment that diffuses carbon or nitrogen into the surface, which when combined with heat treatments allows for a very tough cam internally, and also excellent wear characteristics due to it's extremely hard surface.

I don't know if it's been discussed on here before, but just something to think about...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:36 AM

I started,out with a stocker on my p-pump converted motor. I switched to a PDR cam and was pleased with the improved bottom end and mid range. I saw several failures associated with cam gear walk in other peoples trucks and decided to go to a Helix 2 with bolt on gear. There was a small loss of bottom end but an improvement on mid range and top end. I would not consider a press on gear with a p-pump.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The ground cam being offered by Peak is a bolt on gear type. I will be ordering one mon morning. Its worth the peace of mind to me. RonA I am glad to hear you say that about the difference between the two cams. Harry told me the same thing.