Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cab noise with the Scotty II

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab noise with the Scotty II

I was talking to a Dodge mechanic this weekend and asked him about the Scotty II Air System. He said it was great but the cab noise is really high. This got me worried because my wife as a problem with the noise of the truck as it is and I did read on the Scotty web site about the noise but is didn't seem as bad as this guy was saying.

For those who have it, how much of a difference in noise is there from stock to Scotty. Also, what did your wives or girlfriends think of the added noise.

I am trying to prepare myself for the envitable onslaught of noise complaints from my wife. :'( Wait until I get my 4 inch exhaust system!! ;D

Thanks,

Greg
Old 09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Cab noise with the Scotty II

You can definitely hear the turbo much better than before. my wife does not have a problem with it. Everyone who has experienced it in my truck has liked it.

I guess it will all depend on "your" spouse, and you know NONE of us here can help there

The nice thing about the Scotty II, is you can run it in hush mode and it will not have the "under" the dash sound to it. Then if you are towing something and want the extra cooling you get by letting the Scotty II breathe, it only takes a minute to change it.

I will tell you this, many people have questioned the validity of the Scotty II and how it can actually lower your egt's. I don't have any scientific data to back up it's claims, but I do have real world use of it.

This thing really does, especially for the guys who increased the fueling level of their truck.

I personally have not met anybody who didn't love his Scotty II, They may be out there.....maybe.... I just don't know any.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the response and my wife is definitly starting to love my stinky deisel!!

Actually my Scotty II is on the way and should be here any minute.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:35 PM

I've heard some liken the noise to the Scotty II trying to suck your glovebox through your firewall.

It gives a pretty loud whistling sound when you lay on the gas (which is pretty much just the turbo whine) as well as a "sucking" sound, for lack of a better term. My wife thought it was just that the turbo was a little louder. I run with it in hushhh mode unless I'm towing. Can't really tell much difference in hushhh from the stock configuration.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:06 PM

My wife hates it with a pashin. I just turn the radio up so She dosen't hear it. As far as the wistle goes all the dogs in my neighborhood hates it too How do you run it in silent mode?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:21 PM

If you cut the hole, it is definately noticable..but it is a beautiful sound..sounds like a jet spooling up..everyone who has ridden in my truck comments on it, none have complained..sounds like the car Mel Gibson drives in "Mad Max" movies when he activates the blower..

the cool factor is high...'specially if you're running a different turbo..the bark sounds like its gonna blow the glove box open..

she'll like it..just tell her to fasten her seatbelt and place her tray in the upright position..
Old 09-08-2003, 06:05 PM

I have the Scotty II with the cowl hole and its no where near as bad you think it will be.

Everybody I talked to almost scared me away from buying the Scotty II at first, but I needed EGT reduction. I just happen to catch Scotty himself in the chat room one night and after a lengthy discussion I ordered my Scotty two days later.

If you have a any where decent stereo you won't know the (sound)difference between hush mode and dual mode.

You might notice it more when towing though, however its not that bad.

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2003, 08:47 PM

How would you rank cab noise (1-10) 10 being the loudest, with your choices being:

1. Stock Configuration

2. Scotty 2 in Hush Mode

3. Scotty 2 Cowl hole NOT cut

4. Scotty 2 Cowl hole cut

I'm asking for my own knowledge and maybe to put this question to rest.

Thanks to all current Scotty 2 owners in advance!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:18 PM

Your best bet is to hitch a ride with someone that already has done the cowl thingy. I'm sure with as many Scotty II's out there someone should be close enough to you.

Sound bites wouldn't tell that much even if someone has them because there are to many variables.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 AM

Bah the scotty 2 with the hole cut isn't that loud its just a matter of if your a whiner or not. Mine is perfect not a problem for me or any passanger I have ever had.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:57 AM

amartinson:

You will hear any cab noise with a stock box (at least not from the turbo.) Same could probably be said about the ScottyII without the cowl hole cut. The noise just barely increases when using the cowl flap to cover the hole. The loudest noise is without the cowl hole covered--the way it was designed to be used.
Like many others have said, you don't have to run with the hole uncovered if you don't want. It does quiet it down a bit in the cab, but I personally like the extra turbo noise with the cowl flap uncovered. I just keep it covered to please the wifey on short trips.
Haven't towed with it yet, so the jury is still out on EGT reductions as far as I've seen. But from what EVERYONE has said, I expect to see a 100-200* EGT redux when towing my 8000# horse trailer.

Bottom line,
Don't let the noise stop you from putting a ScottyII in if you want the best intake for your 2nd gen truck. You can use the cowl flap and there's not much noise change at all from the stock box. Then when you need that little extra, you can "turn it up to 11" by opening up the cowl flap. (Just a little Spinal Tap humor!)
Old 09-09-2003, 08:29 AM

Who's got some pics of a Scotty II installed? I am thinking of putting one on my old 02'. We have been grossing over 35k withe the truck and new 46' stepdeck, so the warranty is allready out the window, and I think I need a little more cool air for that much weight. I dont need anymore power, I just wanta keep it runnin cooler. Also, does scotty sell a 4" exhaust as well?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:50 AM

You can see the scotty 2 installed here I believe its scotties truck

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...68&pid=457
Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM

Just got my Scotty this morning. I was looking at the filter element and it doesn't look oiled. When I ordered they said it came oiled so I pulled it out of the casing and it looks and feels like it might be lightly oiled. There is no noticable color on the element, i.e. K&N oil is red.

Did yours come the same way and should I put some K&N oil to be safe?

I am definitly looking forward to seeing what it can do!! ;D ;D

Greg
Old 09-09-2003, 08:17 PM

GregWay DO NOT oil it they are already oiled its light thats how its supposed to be not like K&N stuff that comes over oiled. The oil is a natural tan color and that is how it should be. You can use K&N filter oil when you clean it however.

Quick Reply: Cab noise with the Scotty II