Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cab Light Installation/Sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Light Installation/Sealant?

For those who are interested in installing the cab clearance lights themselves, here is a pic of my truck with the headliner off. Those holes I circled are spaced exactly for the cab lights. Just don't be afraid to drill through them. I know I was when I drilled the first hole through a perfectly good cab...

But mainly, I'm here to ask what kind of sealant (if any) you guys used on the cab light gasket. I installed these a few months ago and now I want to go back to completely seal it up to make sure no water gets through once it starts raining.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:37 PM

Id think black Permatex RTV would work fine
Old 09-20-2005, 12:46 AM

You can get some awesome polyurethane sealants from any RV dealer. Most of them when cured will still stretch up to 1400% and not break the seal. I've been using these products more and more for any non engine type sealing. Mostly trailer, canopy window, toolbox, light kind of sealing projects.

They are wicked sealants and work awesome.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
zog

Can I ask how hard it is to take out the headliner??? I have a quad cab and it would seem to be a bigger job than I should tackle....
Old 10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

I need to figure out how to seal mine. I noticed all of my lights were full of water the other day and there was water leaking from my overhead console.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Great picture Bruzer! Thanks.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM

Yeah no prob. I just ended up using some clear RTV sealant. Put it on both sides of the gasket. I also threadlocked the bolts for the cab lights cause one nut had completely wiggled itself loose...

Originally Posted by zog
Can I ask how hard it is to take out the headliner??? I have a quad cab and it would seem to be a bigger job than I should tackle....
It wasn't that hard to take off on my truck. I had to take off the sun visors, lights, handles, and couple plastic trim pieces (pop off). As you take off everything attached to the roof, you'll notice the headliner beginning to get loose. You just have to be real careful handling the headliner once you get it out because it will crack real easily.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 PM

I used Dumdum on the middle light of the 01. Built up a dam around the hole and put the light back on. Had the leak from the roof console. I was bummed for about 2 minutes. I really should change the plastic nuts but its not leaking so...
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Yeah no prob. I just ended up using some clear RTV sealant. Put it on both sides of the gasket.
What do you mean by that? Are you referring to the gray foam rubber piece on the bottom of the light?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

Boy, that aggie education really payed off didn't it.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by AggiePhil
What do you mean by that? Are you referring to the gray foam rubber piece on the bottom of the light?
Yeah... The foam that goes between the light and the roof of your cab.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:54 PM

Just trying to make sure I understand 100%. And when you said you put sealant on both sides of the gasket, do you mean that you put a beat around the outside edge of the gasket and a bead along the inside edge of it (since it's shaped like a donut)?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Also, how tight did y'all screw the lights down onto the roof of the truck? The foam rubber seal that's on them is pretty thick and it looks like you'd have to screw them down REALLY tight to remove any kind of gap under the edge of the lights.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Just trying to make sure I understand 100%. And when you said you put sealant on both sides of the gasket, do you mean that you put a beat around the outside edge of the gasket and a bead along the inside edge of it (since it's shaped like a donut)?
Boy your a smart one aren't ya.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 PM

I put a line of sealant all the way around the gasket on both flat sides. Not around the perimeter on the outside so you can see the sealant (like when you weld two things together). I guess you could say the chocolate coating on a donut is like the sealant on the gasket (except coated on both sides). As for the tightening... I actually didn't tighten the lights too much since if you tighten it too much it will actually begin to dent the roof of your cab. Just look at it while you're tightening it and once you notice the roof beginning to dent, don't go much further. That should be plenty tight right there and you would be adding the sealant also. Now all these are based on my experiences with aftermarket (factoy replica) cab lights. The original factory ones might be a tad different, I don't know...

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Boy your a smart one aren't ya.
Do you two know each other?

Quick Reply: Cab Light Installation/Sealant?