Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Buying truck, want twins. 12V or 24V? Auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying truck, want twins. 12V or 24V? Auto or manual?

I used to be into high HP sports cars. I'm done there for now, but I want power. I'm REALLY interested in high HP diesel trucks. I know I want two stage turbocharging. I always liked the 2nd gen Rams. I like the I-6 layout.

My only hangups are the year and trans. I know it went to 24V in 98. But are 12V engines as capable of massive power as the 24V? What are the pros and cons of each?

Transmission. Manual or auto? What does it cost to get each to handle a maxed out set of twins (o-ringed, ARP studs, and 80psi)?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate saying search but your questions are so broad and open ended it would take several of us 10 pages to really answer it all for you.

Try this: go to piersdieselresearch.com they have prices on heads, porting , studs and twins. you will have to decide on what kind of hp you want before proceeding, ride in a few rigs. out of the box parts plug in and play? vs building it yourself is something else you will have to decide.

24v is probably a good bet adjustable and alot more market support than the 12v. formula 1 and don m's edm injectors are about as good as they get, they also have a new cam that makes a considerable difference in in the hp potential plus allows you to run a mechanical lift pump and eliminate the problematic eletric fuel supply lift pump which is usually the culprit behind a vp44 failure.

if you want to play and go fast its hard to beat an auto for putting it to the ground in fast order. i have no soft spot in my heart for the 5spd but it can be made into a decent power handler with a larger input and full splined od shaft ect. the 6spd is great for towing but even after driving one for 4 years and beating the **** out of it i still could never shift as fast as an auto, for a clutch south bend seems to be on the cutting edge with the dual disks now for big hp numbers. if you go the auto route there are some really good threads about who builds the best and what parts take what kind of abuse. figure on a whole lot of billet upgrade parts there is not a out of the box one size fits (ahhm ATS is a good tranny but in the higher hp arena id call a few of the others DTT, suncoast, goreland ect.)

Unfortunately we can not tell you what is best for you, you will have to decide on what you want then get some suggestion from others on how they got to a point close to what you are hoping to acheive and what suppliers and innovations have occured over time that might better aid you in your quest to have a bombd cummins. anything can be made to work its a matter of money and time that you want to invest.

DTR offers some great resource threads
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 AM

figure out how deep your pockets are to start with, you get better reliability with a 12v more adjustability with a 24 an auto with 3k worth of goodies is way quicker then a 5sp, but the 5 sp is way more reliable then the auto....if it has a clutch. you need to identify your preference on body style, if you can handle a quad cab w/out rear doors a 12v can be had at a price that affords you the room to get the tranny....it all boils down to how you want to limit your spending

but I can tell you from first hand expierence that putting a kid in a souped ricer in the rear view mirror with a big black cloud is priceless
Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Like was said earlier, 24 valve would prolly be a little more streetable because you can turn the fuel up or down at the push of a botton. As far as all out HP you can not get a 24 valve anywhere near what a all out race 12 valve can do. For the tranny we need to know what you want to do with it, drag racing would be an auto, sled pulling would be a stick, driving could be either. A good auto will prolly cost ya about $6000 or a little more based on what the people I know spent, stinck will cost ya around $3000 with the big input shaft onless you get a 6 spd in a 2001 or newer it already has the bigger shaft
Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Be different and get a 1st Gen! But then you`ll be limited to "only" around 400 "easy" hp, or up to 600 if ya want to work ($$$) for it.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 AM

Or if you thrive on adversity you can mix a first gen with a 12valve and a 24 valve. Great way to meet diesel shop owners. No one shop will have everthing you'll need.